What's new

NHT or PSB (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Alright guys.. I'm ready to upgrade center and mains. I've pretty much narrowed down my picks between PSB 4T's and 9C, and the NHT VT 1.4 and VS 1.4. I have NHT surrounds and rears so I'm leaning towards NHT. One stipulation of the mains is that it can't be more than 6.5 inches wide (i know that severaly limits me) but it's to fit in a custom spot in my HT. Long story.

Anyway.. what do you guys think about these two sets? Do you have better suggestions?

Any info on any speakers you suggest is appreciated!

thanks,

Jim

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting New "b" stock. Or some close out sale, but either way 5 year warranty from authorized dealer.

I'm leaning towards the NHT myself.

thanks!

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
anyone have experiences with these speakers and able to give me some advice?

please?

Jim

ScottL

Agent
Hi Jim,

I have the vt 1.4 and the VS 1.4. Two words.....

"Get them." I have had them for about 8 months now. They are wonderful for music and Hometheater. Make sure you have a good amp to power them because they are pretty power hungry. Actually I have mine bi-amped with some bettercables wire running of a Pioneer Elite Receiver and an NHT amp(soon to chuck that out though for something better)

Scott

Gareth

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

I just got two of their U1 subwoofers out of their Evolution series. They come with crossovers and separate amps. I love them. I vote NHT.

Gareth

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome, thanks guys.
Scott, I'm running a Denon 5800, supposedly 170x7 so hopefuly that is enough power. I have always wanted to know.. what is bi-wiring and bi-amping?
Are there major benefits? I know this is probably a HUGE can of worms here, but what isn't? :)
Jim

Drew_N

Grip
With your 5800 they are going to be great. I'm running VT1.4's and VS1.4's with a Denon 3801 and absolutely love them. They can go far louder than my current apartment situation will allow. The sound is also clear, I think you'll really like them.

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
If you can, I would listen to both. I just helped a friend set up his NHT 1.4's; they are beautiful speakers but I noticed that they are relatively inefficient (I think 85db/watt/m) and very low impedance-- around 4 ohms nominal I think. They still sounded very good with his denon 3802, but it seems to me that dedicated amplification would be a big improvement. You may find comparable PSB's that are a bit more efficient-- I have been very happy with the PSB alpha's in my setup, and I think the sound of the stratus series is tough to beat.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! I have located a local place here that has both so I'm going to 'test drive' both of them. I'll keep you posted!

thanks again for all your help and advice,

Jim

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! I have located a local place here that has both so I'm going to 'test drive' both of them.
Great. Have fun.
I'll toss in a vote for the 4T. Great speaker for both HT and music and very easy to drive. The 9C is very nice, but rather large for some people. I'm sure you already have, but be sure to also check out the 8C--it may save you some cash :)

Chip E

Screenwriter
Never heard NHT's... I do run PSB Stratus Silveri 's, C6i center and Image 10S's.. I've been extremely happy with them for movies & music through my Denon 5803.

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 9C/5T/1B combo--and it rocks. If you are looking at the 4Ts, get the 8C--the drivers all match (the 9C matches the 5Ts).

Cheers,

D

Drew_N

Grip
I have VT1.4 and VS1.4 6.1 setup with a Denon 3801. I absolutely love the sound. My only problem is I live in an apartment and can't open them up too much. Sound is clear and accurate at all volumes though, fantastic speakers.

harvey_mason

Agent
hey chip,

i too run the silvers w/ the 6i center only difference is that i run image2b for my surrounds.

I must say that i am extremely pleased w/ my soundstage in front and rear. i recently upgraded from a c5 to te c6i and i see a huge difference.

for the money psb is tough to beat in quality appearance and most importantly sound.

regards,
harvey

Steve Adams

Second Unit
you should be able to do the full psb stratus series for your set up for around 2000 - 2500. these are some of the best speakers you will hear in this price range. no slag on any other brand. but I am getting these eventually! I have alphas now, and they will smoke 800-1000 dollar b&w's. the dealer here sells both and i listened to both. but to be honest, listen to everything before you buy! what you like you buy!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If you must match your rears, then go NHT, but I'd much rather recommend the 6T, 9C and 2B's :D (my setup). So many options with the image line. You could go 4T or 3LR and 8C up front with 1B's or 10S's in the rear. Whatever you do, use matching fronts and center speakers like 1B/3LR or 4T left and right front speakers with 8C center or use 2B/5T or 6T fronts with a 9C center. Surrounds I think are not as important to match the midrange, but whatever you do, you've got the same tweeter at least :) I matched the rears and its fine so I've no idea what it sounds like to have smaller surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks