NHT or NHT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I am trying to decide between NHT st-4's and NHT SuperTwo's. I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison yet, but do remember that both of the speakers sound fantastic. Right now one of the shops here in Iowa has the SuperTwo's for $500 a pair and the ST-4's are $1000 a pair. I have no desire to buy speakers again any time soon, so I want to get the ones that sound the best. What do you think? Do you favor the supertwo's or are the newer st4's a step up?

Thanks for any input.

Nick

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Personally, I'll take the NHT SuperTwo's and pocket the $500.00 difference. Or buy another toy with the extra $500.00.

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

The ST4's are better but not at double the price. Have you thought about going used? If you are patient, audiogon.com will usually pay off with some great deals. I noticed a couple of pairs of NHT 2.9's in the $1200 range. That may be more than you are willing to spend but you will see ST4's on there as well, on occasion. I personally have the VT2's. If you can find a used pair of those (I paid $1000 for a mint used pair), they are better than either the Supertwo's and the ST4's. Another great NHT tower to consider would be the older VT1.2's. These speakers are probably pretty close to the ST4's. Both of these older VT speakers use the silk dome tweeter instead of the metel one found in the others (which I greatly prefer). Here is a pretty good pecking order, IMO...

NHT 2.9 $1200 used..these are big and require lots of power.
    NHT VT2 $1000 used...narrow footprint need lots of power.
    NHT VT1.2 $800 used...even narrower moderate power needed
    ST4....$1000 new
    Supertwo...$500 pair new. great deal.

IMO, if you get one of the top 2, you will always be happy. One of the middle two, more than likley will be happy.
    Get the supertwo and you may eventually want better but for the money they are great speakers. Get 2 pairs of the supertwo's for all around would be a sweet setup as well.

4. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

I'd add the NHT 2.4's to Charles list. I'm not sure what they're going for on the used market, but I seemed to remember they were cheaper than the 2.9's when I compared them at a dealer.