NHT M6 Evolution

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeyT, Aug 30, 2002.

1. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Anyone heard these? Tell me about your experiences.
    I had an audiocenter 2 damaged in a move past repair or even temporary listening [​IMG]
    Could not find a AC 2 from an authorized dealer (with warranty). I found a guy on audiogon selling a used VC3 (center channel) for 450.00 and thought I might go that route. When I called him up, he had the M6 for 500.00 with basically the same drivers (3 way - (2) 6 inch drivers, (1) 4 inch driver, 1 tweeter.
    On a gamble and his recommendation I opted for the M6 which is supposed to best both the AC2 which I cant get and the deal VC3. According to him, the evolutions easily best the old music & theater series speakers. To verify this, I called a tech. that I have dealt with at NHT on several occasions (he is a 3.3 owner). He claims that the evolution T6 (with both the M6 and the bass module) easily best his 3.3s and the VT3s. I was surprised.
    My long term goal is to check out the center, and if I like it upgrade the 2.9s I have for the T6s.
    Any predictions????? Miserable, or Hypnotized???
    [​IMG]

2. Terry U

Terry U Auditioning

I have not heard the the Evolution 6's but I have heard the 5's. This was at a dealers with Lexicon equipment doing the processing and driving them also. I am unsure of the characteristics of the new Lexicon amp made for them by Crown. The speakers had a marvelous low end. They were transparent also. However in the resolving of detail they fell short of the best. They were bettered by the JMlabs Electras (906) and the Cobalt series. They also were bested by B&W n805's and Dynaudio speakers. They were bested also by Sonus Faber Concertos but then the Concertos put all the above speakers to shame. In short the Evolutions are very nice but lack details that truly allow sound tracks and music to come alive. They also were a little bright at times but that could be fixed by varying toe in angle of the speakers. I would say you might find these speakers very much to your liking.

3. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Thanks...I guess the m5 would be like the old 2.5i and the new m6 like the 2.9 and 3.3s. Anyone heard the m6s??? I have never heard anyone say that the NHTs lack resolution. Usually it is that they have to much resolution for some listeners. Especially when compared to Sonus Fabers which tend to be laid back in presentation...I guess I am just surprised is all... [​IMG]
    So any m6 auditions... I have a suspicion that they sound much different and better.
    Thanks again.

4. Terry U

Terry U Auditioning

The m6 is the same speaker except for dual woofers. The crossove and drivers are the same basically. They are voiced the sam and the Concertos clearly had much more detail than any of the other listed speakers. It is not that the NHT's have no detail. They have detail just less than the best I have heard.

5. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

I purchased an NHT AudioCenter2 recently from onecall.com and decided that it overwhelmed my 2.5i mains. I've gone back to using the AudioCenter1. So, if you want an AC2 drop me a private message or an email.

6. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Thanks...

Since the M6 is on the way, I will probably check it out first. If it does not live up to my old AC2, I will send it back and drop you a line...that is if you still have it.

You should not have any problem selling it though. I see them go on Ebay for 400-500 all the time.