NHT Evolution M6 Arrives Friday!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeyT, Sep 12, 2002.

1. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

This will serve as a replacement for my NHT AC2 and my first exposure to the Evolution series.
    I will look forward to posting my results. I am pretty happy with my NHT 2.9s so this new Evolution series monitor will have to be stellar[​IMG]
    Wish me luck.
    Btw, anyone own the M6s yet? Tell me...I cant wait!!!
    Cheers![​IMG]

2. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

i just recieved the m5's and i bought a pair of nht sb1's for 7.1 what are u powering them with ??????????? frank

3. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

I'm interested in feedback on these as well. I have 3.3's and love them but will be building a dedicated HT in my new house and may utilize the 3.3's only for music.

James

4. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

I hope to take them home today[​IMG]
    I will be driving my NHT 2.9 with my Levinson Amp and the rest of my 6.2 setup with my Classe CAV 150 (6*225 watts @ 6 ohms). The Classe and the Levinson work well together.
    Wish me luck and I will let you all know my honest feedback. I am not afraid to return the thing if it is not at my expectation level.
    Wish me luck.
    Cheers!

5. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

I am using a 2.9/AC2 based system myself. I am interested in what you get. To be honest, regardless of whether the M6 is a better speaker than the AC-2 or not, I do not expect the it to blend as well with the 2.9s as the AC2.

I also have to add that I have just built up my 2.9 based 7.1 system and the sound is so good, that I do not expect to upgrade/replace for about 10 years.

6. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Haru, I believe that the AC2 will probably blend better, but since I am already familiar with the 2.9 (had for 2 years and busted in a move), I thought it would be a nice chance to check out NHT's latest offerings. If I dont like it I can always sell it and replace the AC2. If I do like it, maybe move my 2.9s to a dedicate music setup and go the t6 evolution route all the way around[​IMG]

7. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Joey,

Did you read the Evolution M5 review in Sound & Vision?? It sounded like they thought the setup was great for HT, but mediocre (sp?) for music.

I bet your 2.9's are much better for music.

8. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

From what I've heard, the Evolution Series should be renamed the Regression Series.

9. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

hey justin where did you get your information from?
    a web site or review. i own them but i listed for 2 months at a lot of speakers before buying them , and the were the best i heard by far. frank

10. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I did read the S&V article. Initially, I thought they loved the M5 for HT only, but after carefully rereading the article over a couple of times,I got the impression that they were also good for music.
    My take on NHTs is Like B&W- Either you love them or hate them. Not too many people are on the fence with these speakers.
    I personally like the NHTs do music (yes I know there are weaknesses)but think they are a flat out bargain sonically. Being an NHT person, I hope for good things from this M6.
    Doesnt it seem odd that they reviewed the T5 and not the T6. In fact, I have not met anyone that has heard this speaker yet. I know they are supposed to voice the same, but I think that is impossible considering the bigger drivers in the T6.
    BTW, the delivery man and I missed each other so I am going by the terminal tommorrow to pick it up. I hope I can sleep tonight...feels like christmas
    [​IMG]

11. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

joey:

i demoed the t5 a few months ago while on a trip to atlanta. i was actually in the store to demo the revel performa f30 but all they had was the ultima series so i decided to have a sit down with the t5's. they were connected to one of marantz's top range receivers. i would have to say that they had fairly decent central imaging but the entire soundstage sounded narrow and didn't really expand beyond the edge of the speaker. the highs and midrange seemed to be produced accurately enough but the bass was...well, there was no bass really. just a flat "blah" sound. i was shocked at how totally uninspiring, uninvolving these speakers were. i guess i'm just one of those on the other side of the nht fence.

kevin t

12. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the long post, but I have heard some concerns (to me it just sounded like the reviewer really like the HT application - This is SVM though not stereophile) with the M6 base on a reviw of the M5 in SVM which actually praised the speaker:
    Quotes form SVM:
    High Points:
    -Highly accurate, extended sound
    -Impressive Bass capabilities
    -Eceptional system-to-room bass matching
    -Tremendouos dynamic potential
    Low Points:
    -Complex to set up (What HiFi Project isn't?)
    -Outboard sub electronics require space and extra wiring
    With regard to music:
    -"My initial impression, gleaned from listening to two-channel music, were of slightly dry but extremely well defined, highly detailed sound and unusually accurate tonal reproduction." [​IMG]
    -"The M5 were about as free from response blips and dip, and thus from vocal artifacts, as any speakers I've used in my studio."
    -"This and many other stereo pop vocals had the kind of rock-solid, three dimensional center image that makes you swear the center speaker must be playing..."
    -"And the NHT system could play as loud as I wanted without falling short on either on deep-bass dynamics or clarity and smoothness at higher frequencies" (I think this is where people are getting confused - To say it will play loud is a red flag, but to say it maintains its composure throughout the volume ranges speaks to controll not boominess.) [​IMG]
    Kevin,
    appreciate your feedback and experience.
    Couple of questions to help me gain perspective. Were the revels also hooked up to a reciever? It can be tough going from a component room to a receiver room. My guess is the t5 would sound considerably dif. if it was running on the same electronics the revels you listened to were. How big was the room you were listening to the T5s in? They have a single woofer and the smaller 5" midrange drivers, maybe needed more displacement to change pressure in the large receiver room. My only surpise is that the NHTs are known for doing bass very very well. The run a sealed enclosure for tight punchy bass but have an incredible F3 of usually in the low 20s hz range. Up there with the highly touted SVS subs in a ported enclosure. Perhaps if you have a true interest in a fair audition, you should consider auditioning the larger T6s with the M6 and the 2 12" subwoofer enclosure base. Although I respect your opinion, I am surprised with your results and hope you go for another listen with better equipment upstream before dismissing them.
    I will be running the M6 with and EAD 8000 processor and a Classe Amp so I should be able to give you my opinion on whether mid-fi components colored your observations. If you are right, I will be the first to pat you on the back and send it right back. I don't kid myself with what I hear.
    Anyway, off to see for myself. I will have it hooked up within the next 2 hours[​IMG]

13. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Initial impressions are good:
    For those of you familiar with the 2.9, 3.3s
    Finish:
    -The finish is nicer than the 2.9s (wont smudge or leave fingerprints- my wife likes better [​IMG] )
    Sound:
    (I am expecting the sound will continue to open up as it breaks in but here are a couple of initial thoughts)
    -More like the 3.3 than the 2.9. Seems to really nail the midrange (and this is right out of the box).
    -The higher frequency is still distinctly NHT, but more refined than any of the older 3.3,2.9s (more liquid). I am betting this will get even better with burn-in.
    Finally, it appears and sounds to be at least the AC2s equal from what I remember of my old R.I.P. AC2. The AC2 would have voiced a little more like the 2.9s but it is not distracting. Plus, it is a nice introduction to NHTs new offerings. I have to admit that I was a little scared.
    As she breaks in I will post updates.[​IMG]

14. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

joey:

i did not audition the revels because all they had was the ultima line which is far out of my price range and i wanted to hurry up and listen to the thiel cs2.3 (which i totally loved). it's been a while since the demo but i would say the room was about 20 x 20-ish. wasn't exactly huge but it was a sizeable room. unfortunately, i doubt i'll demo anymore nht speakers. i still have to demo the revel f30's and then i'm make a decision. right now though, i'm leaning toward the thiel cs2.3. enjoy your new center!

kevin t

15. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

Thanks again.

Observation from my audiophile friends:
    Have you ever noticed NHT lovers, B&W lovers, and Burmeister are agreeable

Theil lovers are more in line with Sonus,and Viennas.

All very good but seem to have a cluster like affect. Now that I know you are Theil lover, I can understand your position. Btw, I think the Theils are a great speaker. I recently heard the biggest Theils 7.? hooked up to a Boulder amp with ML front end...really nice. Good luck to you.

16. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

my 2.9s image so well in stereo, they so completely disappear into the sound stage, the sound extendds above to sides, and around the room so completely, that I often end up having to make sure that the receiver really IS in stereo and a surround mode isn't throwing me off.

I could not be more ecstatic about the imaging/soundstaging of my system.

17. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

joey, actually, I see Revel, B&W, Theil, owners have a similar taste, the Theils are way more revealing and open compared to Viennas, and sonus (they have a darker sound)

18. Terry U

Terry U Auditioning

Yes I would say that Theils are very revealing in an almost analytical way and need to be matched with the right front end for sure. (I am a former Theil owner and enjoyed them with CJ tube gear) The REvels I heard were alright thats it. The B&Ws and Theils are not exactly the same but the Nautilus speakers are very nice. The lower lines ranges very from very good to decidedly average. The NHTs which I like allot are detailed but somewhat less analytical than the Theils. I have heard the Evolution 5's with thier matching sub bases. They had wonderful bass but might not have been as detailed as older NHTs I have heard. The 1.4 towers seemed to be much more detailed and were wonderful with a large Velodyne sub handling the bottom. The Evolutions had all Lexicon amplification and the 1.4s had Rotel separates. Thats all I have to say. The Sonus Faber home Concertos by the way are far from dark sounding and have gobs of detail. You cannot generalize on speaker lines.