NHT 3.3's

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tim Glover, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I know there is a loyal following on this forum for NHT speakers so I thought I would start a new thread specifically about the legendary NHT 3.3 speakers.

I've been a proud owner of 5 VS-2 for years. Adding to that my beasty Velodyne ULD-18 sub and I've had terrific 5.1 and 2 channel sound.

I've been wanting to own the 3.3's but they were really too expensive....until recently. My brother recently acquired a pair and was needing to sell them for personal reasons.

Now I own these monsters. I also got the Evolution M6 for the center speaker. NHT made the Audio Center 2 to match these but I talked to a NHT rep and since the Audio Center 2 was really rare and couldn't find a mint one, he suggested the M6. I think it uses the same tweeter.

I know this is bragging, but I've never heard such detail and such a big soundstage from a 5.1 system.

I've got these set on "Large" and subwoofer to "Yes" and watching FOTR-EE last night I feared for the integrity of my home! [​IMG]

Loud? Yes, but clean and effortless. I've watched this movie a zillion times but I swear I heard some things I missed.

The 3.3's do require the right room and adequate amplification. Later on, I will get a more powerful 2 channel amp for these, but for now my THX-Ultra reciever is surprisingly feeding these ok.

Just thought I would share my thoughts on these beautiful looking and sounding speakers. [​IMG]

2. Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick Stunt Coordinator

Ray
    I've got the 2.9s and get great reactions when playing das boot. I've been debating whether to get a new svs or used velodyne sub(which would match the piano black finish) to go with them.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'm an Nht fanboy, I run 3 SuperZeroes for the LCR of my computer (with the Northcreek cross-over mods) and just purchased two more from hardware section of this forum. I think they make an excellent brand of speakers but unfortunately you have to have a pretty good amp to push them (I run separates on my computer). The way the older Nht models are going down on the used market, I might can make a similar post to yours in a couple of years for my main system.

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    The 2.9's have a 10 inch side firing woofer I think? I played some scenes without the sub and the sub is still the way to go for that deep low stuff that makes the couch move.

Although If I get a really good high current 2 channel amp for the 3.3's it may not be necessary for a sub?

The benefits of a sub being placed in the corner is hard to duplicate with full range speakers though.

Hard to beat Velodyne. Not boomy or overblown. Just mean and tight.

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

This was the only way I could have afforded these too Robert. Just couldn't justify it. Just do your homework on audiogon or another good resource on the seller. These things are heavy too which bumps up the cost. I think the manual says each speaker is 136 pounds! I think I lost a testicle while bringing it in the house. [​IMG]

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I missed my window of opportunity earlier this year, my local dealer did a closeout at $1200 for the pair the week my engine blew. Even though they were the display model they were still emaculate and I was very ticked about my luck. I know in the future either these, Newform, Maggies, or some diy ScanSpeaks will grace my future theater,