What's new

NHT 1259 sub DIY project (1 Viewer)

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
hey all
im thinking about building a home subwoofer using a NHT 1259 sub w/ perhaps a Apex Senior amplifer built into the enclosure. ive read a few plans and projects that others have done and it seems to work well. I have also heard that this sub isnt that great for HT. I need some advice on what sub you all would recommend for HT, music, and games as well. any input would be appreciated.
thanks,
Dan

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
well $150 for the sub and the $200 amp seemed ok i guess. i really dont have much money cuz im in college and stuff. id have to save for whichever path i take on this. I also have an old sony reciever i could use to power it temporarily if i had to

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well a Tempest is $140 and a AVA250 is $180. So that fits your budget and trust me you won't be disappointed in the end result.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Is there a size restriction on this, Dan (is it for a dorm)?
Fwiw, I just ordered another Tempest through one of the dealers listed on the Adire site, Link Removed
They carry the Tempest, Shiva, and PR-15. The prices are the same as direct from Adire, but they're offering free 3-day shipping (don't know how long it lasts), which can save a bit of money on a Tempest, depending on location.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well you can go to any of the Sonosub I, II or III links at the bottom of Pats signature above for extensive sets of pictures describing the build process of his three sonotube subs. Or you can go here and read my write up and view a few pics of my sub : http://ht.s5.com/Sonosub.html
Here is a link to a whole buch of other projects, mostly sonotubes but a few boxes:
http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html
You could also check out the shiva and tempest application papers on adire's site or search this forum for more information as well.

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
thanks i appreciate the info. size isnt too big of a concern, im living in a fairly big apartment. i found these plans here:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Vent...plications.PDF
I think im set on the Adire Alignment design. It looks liek a good mix between HT and audio and it includes plans. I already bought my MDF tonight and plan to get started tomarrow. Let me know if youve had any experience with this design or ones like it. thanks

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a plan, Dan.
wink.gif

That box size sounds good. I'd prefer a pair of 4" ports, myself. I'd recommend the Adire AVA250 as the amp, in which case I'd tune to 18Hz, the corner frequency of the amp's rumble filter. You won't lose deep bass, really, but you'll get about 2db more peak output/headroom. 4" port length will be much more manageable, also (vs. the 15.4Hz tune).
As it is, though, it's a nice, tight alignment. I think there's a member here who's a fan of it, I can't recall who, though (Julian?). It would work great if built just like the plans.
Have you downloaded LSPCad from Adire, and the Tempest .box files? Very useful software.

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
ok, with a larger port diameter there is a lower port velocity which reduces port noise, right? i believe the plans say an 11" long 3" diam port. How can i figure out how long to make a 4" port? Also where would the best place be to buy these ports? thanks again :P

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
ok Adire answerd my questions. It seems its an 11" center tube plus the flairs for a total of 16" tubes. I have a friend who owns a car audio store and builds custom boxes. I think i can get the ports from him quite a bit cheaper than from Adire. His work the same way theirs do and as far as i remember are pretty much the same. Could anything be thrown off by using a different brand port? any advice would be great.
Dan

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
As long as the inside diameter is the same, you're fine. If the flares are similar to the ones that Adire/Madisound/Parts Express sell, they should work the same.

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
ok. well heres my progess so far.
3.jpg

the pieces are all cut out, probably finish it tonight woodwise. I still have to order the sub and find ports. I also plan to veneer(sp?) it w/ a nice wood to make it "furniture quality".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks