NHL Shot Statistic Question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Micheal, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Can someone tell me how many shots are taken during a regular NHL game (on average). I don't mean just the "shots on goal" I mean every shot. I want a total for all the shots on net, including the shots that go wide or get blocked.
    The only shots I don't want added are obvious puck dumps or clearings. Anything attempted as a shot on goal is what I'm looking for. Regardless of it hitting the net/goalie/post or not.
    If someone can help me out that would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks,

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that there are about a total of 50-70 ATTEMPTED shots on goal per game. Only about 25-30 or so usually get through to the net, while about 20-25 or so get blocked and another 15-20 or so go wide.
    By chance, why would you like to know this stat? Is there some kind of Bar trivia bet going on between you and another person? Just curious.

3. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Good luck Michael. I have never seen anything like that. Hockey, unlike some sports (football, baseball, basketball) is not that huge on statistics, so you may not find anything at all. As for actual shots, for anyone that cares, teams can have shots in the low teens in a game, and just the other day, Belfour stopped 50. or even more...

4. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Thanks guys. I follow hockey quite a bit but I have never bothered to wonder about "every" shot. I think it may be around 70 to 80 shots per game myself.
    The reason I ask is this. I'm playing NHL2K3 for the Xbox and my shot totals are way too high during 20 minute periods. I usually get around 60 shots. I find this one part of the game unrealistic. But I noticed something, I rarely ever miss the net. In the game almost all my shots 99.5% are on net.
    Some people were saying that I shoot too much but I think if my players shots were more realistic (they should miss the net once and a while) then my shots would be on par with the NHL.
    I get about 60 shots, about 10 or so get blocked and only one or 2 go wide. Total: 70 odd.
    If that total is compared with how many actual shots are taken in an NHL game... I think I'm right on target. Now..., if only I can edit all the players so that they miss once and a while. [​IMG]
    (I already have the offense slider down to Minimum.)
    Anyone else want to add there thoughts on actual shots in an NHL game please do.

5. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Your thought process is right Micheal, however with NHL 2k3, where it lacks is in battles for the puck in the neutral zone, on the boards, etc. It still has a tiny bit of an arcade feel IMO, and with none of these extra battles to eat up time, then yeah sure, you're going to have more shots.

Are you saying the LIVE players you are playing against aren't shooting that much?

6. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

It does have more battling along the boards than any other game I've played but not enough. Still, if I missed about 20 shots a game and another 10 get blocked then my S.O.G. total would be right on the money. The blocked shots already happen but my players hit the net waaaaayyyyyy too often.
    I'm not set up for LIVE yet. [​IMG]

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Off topic, but one stat I DO like in hockey is the +/-. In fact, I think it should be used in the NBA. I think it would be a good stat not so much for the starters (who play most of the minutes anyway) but for the bench people.

8. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Micheal,

What I would do is decrease the shot accuracy slider and increase shot blocking to try to decrease the shots on target.

Most computer/XBox/PS2 hockey games are not designed very well to play full 20 minute periods becauuse of the time to play each game.

Todd

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

10. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

11. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

12. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    What overall skill level are you playing at? I was playing at pro level and getting around 40 to 50 shots using 5 minute periods, but now play at all star level and get maybe 25 shots now.

13. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I'm actually playing the hardest skill level, Hall Of Fame.
    Don't forget, you're only playing 5 minute periods.

14. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

Christ is right, you'll never find that stats. I've done stats for NHL games in the past, and they do not track what you describe (I would consider a shot attempt). An attempt is only considered a shot if it goes in net or if it would have gone in net had someone in the crease not stopped it from going in.

So a puck off the post is not a shot, a shot blocked by the goalie outside the net bar is not a shot and a shot blocked by a skater diving to the ice outside the crease is not a shot either.

15. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I understand what a "shot" is. I do live in Canada after all. [​IMG]
    I just wanted what I wrote...