What's new

NHL Original Six Series: NY Rangers - Stanley Cup Champions 1994 (15-disc set) 04/18 (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I think I would rather relive the worst days of my life 50 times over. Come to think of it, seeing the Rangers win was one of the worst days of my life.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
An Islander fan, are you?

As a lifelong Rangers fan, I'm excited about this one. Can't you give us our one moment of glory, Michael? They've been few and far between!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Not me, man :emoji_thumbsup: PaulP: Thanks for the info. I was looking for this series just yesterday on the 'net and only found Game 7 available. :cool: Although a Stars fan first, I've been watching the Rangers (Islanders, Devils) since the early 80's on the dish.

Paul, I have a question about this pack. Do you know if this is the MSG broadcasts or the nat'l feed that ESPN televised? (I'm hoping this is the MSG telecasts with "Sam & JD" :D

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Nice i am buying the mets 1986 world series set in late march. I think i have to get this aswell. Thanks for the heads up!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, no other info has been made available yet, sorry. I too hope these will be the MSG broadcasts, and I think they will be. Anyway, it's out in about two months, so more detailed information should surface soon.

Not this season! ;)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Jinx? No chance :D I just read the info again and didn't see that this set includes the previous series vs the Devils. Far out! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: I still remember the Messier "guarantee". At the time, I thought that he was putting too much pressure on the team and thought they'd lose that series. I'm crossing my fingers for the MSG versions of both series. Nothing against Garry Thorne (ESPN play-by-play announcer at the time and former Devils broadcaster), but, IMO, Sam & J.D. ("Ohhh, Baby") are the best pair in the NHL booths. I've learned more about the game from those 2 guys than the other announcers around the league. "Remembering the C-Band dish days and the free backhaul feeds" :D DirecTV's pkg is great, but we're at the mercy of which broadcast they decide....sometimes, we don't get the MSG feed of the Rangers games.

I hope there's a trend of releases for other series. I'd love to get an Islanders (with the SportsChannel feeds & Jiggs McDonald on the mike) set of one of the cup years....Bossy, Gillies, Potvin, Trottier, Smith, Nystrom, LaFontaine. Tonelli, (my memory's going.... :D

RichP

Second Unit
If any Rangers fan buys this and wants to sell the 3 games that the Devils won in the ECF, I will gladly buy them from you!!!

Let me know!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Rich..."no chance" for me :D I'm also a big Devils fan. Since some NHL'ers may be understandably confused by my comments (like...what team is this weird-O's favorite? :laugh: ) So, since you all asked (I'm physic)

Stars. (hey, I gotta have my home team #1)
Rangers. Very close #2
Devils. tied for #2 unless they're playing the Rangers.
Islanders. #3. This is the team that actually got me "hooked" on the NHL. I had the NY station "WOR" available on my local cable outlet in Dallas at the time. I got to watch the last "cup" year of that team and the "drive for 5" season after that, and that's what hooked me. WOR also showed a few Rangers games, but it wasn't until the early 90's that I followed the Rangers most of the time. Thank goodness for the C-Band dish back then. MSG feeds...cool.

Sure was nice having those years watching the league before we got the Stars in '93. I had fun explaining the rules to friends at the Stars games in Dallas. "Delayed Offsides"? No problem expl. "Two-Line Pass"? Piece of cake. "Icing"? Uhhh...that's what's said when the Stars have "iced" the game :laugh:

But, for the Rangers fans and for the upcoming release....how about that chant when watching them at the Garden? "Lets Go, Rangers" :D

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Hey Jeff: That's Blasphemy Man!! Fan = 1 Team for life!! rangers, devils and islanders oh my lord hehe :)

Well since stars are your #1 your a stars fan period because you would root for them if they played rangers, islanders, or devils. So your not really a fan of the other teams in the true sense of the word. You may like to watch them at times but as far as a pure fan goes your just not it. Devils, Rangers and Islanders ? somebody shoot me!! :)

No Offense Intended though Jeff you can like and watch what you want. I am just from the sport fan's mind that you are a fan of 1 team in each sport win or lose for life. For me that is Rangers, Mets, Celtics and Cowboys! All other teams can kiss my arse. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
See, I told you I was "weird" :laugh: Actually, it's fun for me that I have the NY-area teams as my "adopted" teams. The only time I don't pull for the Rangers is if they're playing the Stars. Same idea with the Devils. I root for the Devils unless they're playing only 2 other teams: Stars & Rangers. Remember that you lucky "Yanks" up there in the northeast have had an NHL team or teams to root for and watch long before we started getting teams down here in the sunbelt :) Interesting that you like the Cowboys. I grew up a fanatic fan in the "Meredith" and "Staubach" eras, mainly. I still follow them but....guess what? My "adopted" NFL team is....the Giants. Unless they're playing the Cowboys I always pull for them.

Maybe it's all of those trips up to NY that did something to me :laugh:

One more of J.D.'s "Ohhhhh, BABY" comments for you Rangers fans :D I only wish we had those MSG guys down here. Best in the NHL.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I received this e-mail from the NY Rangers site regarding the upcoming DVD release. Here's the e-mail:

[start of e-mail]

Jeff,

Thanks for contacting the New York Rangers.

The DVD set is being produced by Warner Home Video as part of its Original Six series. The DVD is still in production, and it is Warner Home Video's decision as to which broadcasts they will use. You might want to direct this question to Warner Home Video.

As we understand it, the DVD set contains 30 hours of video including all 14 games that you mention in your e-mail. It also includes a highlight show about the 1994 team.

Sincerely,
New York Rangers

[end of e-mail]

Anyone had any luck in the past contacting Warner for other questions or have a contact e-mail?

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Almost all of the games don't exist in that form. SCNY didn't keep an archive. BTW, LaFontaine got there after the 4 Cups.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
"When you're right, you're right" :D I remember wondering about that one when I posted (LaFontaine).

7 of 8 ain't bad for a native Texan :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Release coming next Tue 04/18. Anyone heard which feeds (ESPN or MSG) they used for this set? I wasn't succesful getting a reply from Warner about it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I really wish they would sell the bonus stuff as a separate item. I'd love to own that. Even though I'm a fan, I just can't see myself watching the games on DVD.

Although, if the banner raising ceremony is on it, I might think twice. I would LOVE to have that video that they played. The one with "Keep 'em Separated" and "These are the Days" - I have that on VHS (that I recorded from TV), but a DVD version would be SWEET!!!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Tough decision. Big fan, and the idea of owning these series sounds great, but I'm not sure I'd actually sit down and watch it all. Maybe Game 7's.

For those who do purchase, I'm curious if a censor-happy empty suit in DVD production land somehow managed to rub out the infamous "jeers" that the home crowd shouts out many times a game (you Ranger fans know what I'm talking about). I assume this has been going on since the 80's, but memory fades.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks