What's new

NHL Hitz 2002, PS2- any others like it??? (1 Viewer)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
I have never been a sports game fan, or a sports fan for that matter, but last night I had some of the most fun I've ever had with my PS2. A friend of mine came over and wanted to play a 2 player PS2 game. All of my games are single player type things like Medal of Honor Frontline, Spiderman, etc. I've never cared much for 2 player games, but we went out and rented NHL Hitz 2002. A few beers and 2 hours later, we were just having a blast. It's an easy enough game that you don't have to read the instructions , and the gameplay is just great. The game is so whacked out, it's hilarious. I don't know how, but I somehow managed to check my buddy through the glass and into the crowd. ROTFLMAO! And to see the goalie leave the net and skate around the entire rink, I could not stop laughing. Fun, fun stuff!! can anyone recommend any other games similar, where the gameplay is over the top, arcade style, as oppposed to realistic sporting???

Marc.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Red Card Soccer
NFL Blitz
MLB Slugfest
All Midway Games, like NHL Hitz

Hot Shots Golf (sort of) and
Outlaw Golf (XBOX) are Arcadey golf games.

NBA Street is pretty good for over the top Basketball action.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree. NHL Hitz is one of the most fun games I own and is always in circulation in my Xbox. I'm looking forward to next year's edition :)
Red Card Soccer
Any opinions on this one? That is, beyond "well, it's like Hitz/Blitz/Jam/Slugfest but with soccer"? :) I was interested to see how it would turn out since I think if there was any sport that would go great with Midway's sense of humor and gameplay, soccer would be perfect, but what I've seen of the game suggests that they made it a tad more sim-like than most of their other sports games, which is kind of disappointing.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Midway, has anyone managed to obtain a copy of MLB Slugfest yet?
I think it comes out next week, no?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I haven't played Red Card Soccer, but the reviews have been lousy.

These games tend to be crappy for solo play, but a lot of fun as party games.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Being a major NFL Blitz junkie, I've been talking about a "Blitz" version of Baseball for a long time. I didn't hear a thing till about noon yesterday that Midway had released MLB Slugfest. I ran out and bought it about 20 minutes later, and I never "run out" to buy any video games.
Only got a chance to play 3 full games last night, but I can definately see it becoming my favorite game for a while. It's the best looking baseball game I've ever played. All the Midway stuff is there to be found; turbo button, bean ball, hard tags, hard slide, stiff arm for base-runners, diving catches, and of course your players catching fire. It's a very quick and simplistic version of baseball, which makes it more fun than other baseball games in my eyes. I've never had enough time to master the baseball simulators, with all their complicated controls. I figured these out in an inning or 2.
It's pretty fun against the computer, and it was of course way more fun playing against somebody else. The hard tag is especially satisfying, cause you can basically beat the crap out of the base runner after he gets a hit off you, while he can fight back trying to knock the ball out of your hands.
Only two complaints, one is that you only have 11 or 12 (depending on DH or not) players per team. (Not sure if this is true for season play.) You can't pinch hit and you only have 2 relief pitchers. The other is that the computer defense is retarded. Unless the ball is hit directly to them, expect it to get through the hole every time. The outfielders are the worst as they run towards where the ball is, instead of running to cut it off. Turns many a single into doubles or triples. This will be fixed by mastering the defensive controls and taking over before the computer gets a chance to mess it up.
However as a whole, this game gets a major :emoji_thumbsup: from me. Being the first release, I'm sure the Slugfest games will better and better.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I haven't played Red Card Soccer, but the reviews have been lousy.
IGN gave the game a 6.4, but I don't agree with their rating. The game is fun, and that's the bottom line. It doesn't include licensed teams, players or stadiums, but it is a blast to play. That's what's important to me.

Gamespot gave it a 7.5, and I think that's fair. I would rate it higher due to 5.1 surround and great graphics.

I can't wait for the XBox version of Slugfest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks