NHL All Star-Starters

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_T, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

NHL ALL-STAR STARTERS
    Eastern Conference

Goaltender - Martin Brodeur, New Jersey

Defensemen - Scott Stevens, New Jersey; Scott Niedermayer, New Jersey

Wingers - Ilay Kovalchuk, Atlanta; Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay

Center - Joe Thornton, Boston

Western Conference

Goaltender - Marty Turco, Dallas

Defensemen - Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit; Bob Blake, Colorado.

Wingers - Bill Guerin, Dallas; Todd Bertuzzi, Vancouver

Center - Mike Modano, Dallas

Definately some deserving players getting their recognition, but there is one starter voted in that has me scrathing my head. Mike Modano???? The guy only has 25 pts and is -19. Looks like the Modano fan club was busy stuffing the ballot box. There are a lot more deserving players, but hey, as long as they let the fans vote em in, this is what we get. How does Peter Forsberg not get voted in???

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Right you are about Modano—he has been quoted several times in the local press as being embarrassed about being one of the top vote getters.

But at the last Stars game I attended, the Stars publicity mill was still urging people to include Modano on their ballots.

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

Sundin deserves to go(and probably will), but to be voted 5th best centre in the East? The guy turned a losing club around with just a motivation speech.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Sundin is a fine hockey player, but I don't think he is well thought of outside of Toronto. I know he is loathed in Boston as the guy who cheapshotted Ray Bourque so often and dangerously that Bubba decided to drop the gloves for the first time in years and Sundin refused him. Ray told him right there he would get even. Mats had to look over his shoulder for years until Ray finally gave him a beating; 6 seasons later and Ray's last fighting major of his career. After the game, Ray said he never forgot his threat and that it was just something he had to do.

I do agree Sundin deserves to go, probably even before Thornton, who is an immense talent but has been subpar compared to last year.

5. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Nice to see Bertuzzi getting so many votes.

How do they determine these picks? is it solely fan voting? if so i'd say the modano thing might be reason enough for reform.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    it is embarassing that pavel datsyuk is nowhere to be seen on the fan voting. even before he was scoring many points, anyone who saw a red wings game should have been able to identify his talent. and i think samsonov deserves to be a started before thornton. thornton does his best work ONLY when he has other good players to work with him. samsonov makes everyone around him play better.

CJ

7. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Datsyuk will be there next year, bet the farm on it.

Jon

8. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

No outrage over Marty Turco starting in net for the West? David Aebischer, Vesa Toskala, Mikka Kiprusoff, Chris Osgood, and hell even Brian Boucher are having better seasons than Turco.

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Speaking of Brian, on ESPN they were saying his shutout record was the best in the 'Modern Era'.
    Anyone know why the Era started in 1946????

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    because only a few years later in 1949, the red line appeared in nhl rinks, dramatically changing scoring and goaltending opportunities.

CJ

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I always thought that was much earlier, thanks.
    One of the things I love about hockey is it's sensibilities

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It looks like New Jersey fans were busy stuffing the ballot box, too. While Brodeur is deserving, are Stevens and Niedermayer really the two best defenseman in the East? At one time Stevens was, but is he still?

I do not think either Modano or Turco are deserving starters this season.

Hopefully a couple of Canadiens will make the reserves. Theodore and Souray are both deserving of an All-Star spot.

13. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Souray for sure.

Datsyuk is probably the most exciting player I've seen this year. His hands...are just ridiculously quick.

If the red line showed up in 49 why doesn't the modern era begin in 49?

14. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Wasn't 1946 the first year of what is now referred to as "The Original Six" -- Detroit, Chicago, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, New York? There were other NHL franchises in the '20's and 30's, including a team in Ottawa, another in Montreal called the Maroons and another in New York called the Americans.

Also, this would have been the first season after World War II, which would fit with the beginning of The Original Six, since I'm sure the reason some of those other teams disbanded was partially due to WWII.

15. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The "modern era" is definitely denoted by the addition of the red line in '43-'44 (not '49, that was the year of the last shutout record). The original six all date from the league's inception in 1917. The league was formed from the National Hockey Assoc. (formed in 1909), which included the Montreal Maroons. The Maroons were not included in the NHL original six, which was Detroit, Boston, Montreal, New York, Toronto, and Chicago. The league did expand to 10 in '26-'27, contract to 7 in '39-'39 and then back to the original 6 in '42-43, but this has nothing to do with the "modern era".

Edit - Sorry, it was another Montreal team that was not in the original six, the Maroons came into the NHL in the 1926 expansion.

16. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

Modano getting voted in again this year only makes up for the countless years he SHOULD HAVE been there, but wasn't.

17. Law

Law Agent

This year is just another example of why fan voting should be done away with in the NHL. Of the 6 forwards selected, only one of them, Kovalchuk, is in the top 10 in league scoring.

I can't believe Modano was selected over Sakic or Datsyuk, both of whom are having excellent seasons. Eight goals and 17 assists for 25 points and a minus-19 rating in 40 games on the 9th place team in the west. He is on pace to have one of the worst seasons of his NHL career, if not THE WORST. If this is what it takes, I could be a starter.

Bill Guerin but not Markus Naslund? If somebody can convince me that Markus Naslund should not be a starter, I'll crap a square dancing four leaf clover.

In the east, Scott Stevens was selected even though he is currently in a tie for 48th in defense scoring with Steve Staois of Edmonton and Sean Hill of Carolina. Were those guys considered? Because by the Scott Stevens standard, they're tearing up the league.

I'm actually surprised Dominic Hasek wasn't selected.

18. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Being a great defenseman has to do with a whole helluva lot more than scoring. I don't watch enough hockey to know if Stevens' play this season has put him at an All-Star level among defensive defensemen, but there's more to measuring a defenseman than scoring.

19. Law

Law Agent

You're right Andrew, there is a lot more to being a defenceman than scoring but Stevens' defensive play this year hasn't been that steller either. On one of the best defensive teams in the league he's only a +3.

But regardless of stats, in my view there were several players more deserving of an all-star vote then Stevens. Why not Sheldon Souray of Montreal? He plays almost 25 mintutes a game, kills penalties, leads defensemen in goals and is second in points. Or maybe Adrian Aucoin of the Islanders? Defensivly, even on the 9th place Islanders, he leads the league in plus minus with a plus 22. He's just as good offensivly as he's fifth in defense scoring.

The game is for the fans, but every year the fan voting becomes a damn American Idol-like popularity contest. Don't the people who vote want to see the best, most deserving players play? I guess not.

20. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Hey guys, I'm sort of out of the Hockey loop this season, too much going on my viewership will rise for the playoffs, but can anyone tell me realistically how many members of my Avs will be in the game, I see Rob Blake as a starting defensemen.

Thanks...