NHL 2K3 Review at IGN (Insider) - Howizit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Duane_T, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone read it yet? I'm most curious about the XBox version.

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    The Xbox version got an 8.9 and really favorable reviews

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

the reviews for the ps2 and xbox versions are identicle. Basically got average marks for graphics and sound but 9's for gameplay and replay value. sounds like a winner to me. As disappointed as I've been with EA's NHL series I'm willing to give Sega a try.

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I believe the Gamecube review is almost identical as well.

I'm thinking I'll give this one a rent. I really want a great hockey game, and haven't had a chance to play a really good one in quite some time.

I'm hoping for the best.

Glen

5. Duane_T

Good to here. I've tried EAs, but wasn't very impressed. Any word on an XBox release date? All I've seen is November.

6. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

NHL 2K3 for Xbox is shipping this week, according to EBGames.com.

EDIT: 11/19 ship date - Should be in stores on the 20th I figure.

7. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Is it 16:9 and 480p?

8. Jim Spencer

Jim Spencer Stunt Coordinator

9. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Well I got this yesterday 11/13 and played it for 3 hours last night. I do have to say, FINALLY, a worthy,realistic hockey game. Man this game is such a change of pace from the ridiculous, cartoonish, arcade style hockey game that EA has been making over the past few years. Not to say that I hate EA'S version of hockey but it is not very realistic and EA's 2003 version is almost identcal to 2002's version, still terrible play by play and commentary and the skaters are very jerky in motion, not a smooth flow. Anyway, there are alot of things I dislike about NHL 2003. Now lets talk about Sega's NHL 2K3. What a great game this is! First off Sega and ESPN have joined forces on this game to make this as real as possible to ESPN's national hockey night. It feels as if you are watching a real game on ESPN. It even gives you the ESPN music during the game and updates you at the bottom of the screen other scores. The whole approach to this game is very realistic and professional. Before you start the game you can actually match up lines with the other team, so you can make sure when LA has their Allison line out there, CO can have their Sakic line out there. Or whatever. Pretty cool touch. Also there are so many more options to your gameplan than in NHL 2003. You can change up your team breaks up the ice and alot of other things. I did not mess with any of the sliders, I left them in default mode, such as penalties,fatigue, that kind of stuff, I did move the slider for fighting all the way up though because I wanted to see a fight, but they never did drop the gloves. Oh well. When you first start a game it shows the away team skate out onto the ice first and get boos during their skate out there, then it shows your home team skate out onto the ice with the crowd cheering. They also introduce your top line by player. Now lets talk about gameplay. Everytime the puck is dropped, it gives you an overhead shot, then as soon as the faceoff is won, the camera angle switches to the setting you have it on. There are I think 4 different camera angles. I tried all of them, but I found that I like the default camera angle of 3/4 overhead the best. It gives you a good view of the ice for passing.The way the players move on the ice is very realistic, the way the block passes and go for the puck. I also like that the use their hands to knock the puck out of the air. There is also alot more realistic gameplay along the boards, you can pin a player up along the boards and then bring in another player to get the puck, or you can also kick the puckaway. The dump and chase is also nice. You can wrap the puck around the boards to a forward or pinching defenseman. When you enter the offensive zone the players set up like they do in the NHL, you have 3 forwads down low with the puck and the 2 defenseman are up high. I like going in hard and fast with a forward then stopping and then passing it out to the point for a slapshot for one of the d men. I could never seem to do that on a regular basis with EA's version. Everytime I did it the defenseman was never where he was supposed to be and the puck went all the way down the ice. The commentary and play by play announcers give a professional and realistic rundown of the game at hand. They are not cheesy at all like in EA's version. The graphics are on par with EA's version although Sega's version is alot more smooth and not as cartoonish. Players faces look realistic and animations are great. The one area that lacks is in the sound department. It advertises Dolby Pro Logic but has no selection for it in the menu. Just stereo or mono. Even when I put my receiver in Pro Logic II mode there is no sound from the back speakers. EA'S DTS for their game is great. But it is a small price to pay compared to all of the other great things you get with this game. And this is not a biased opinion either. I have purchased EA titles for a very long time and think the Madden and Nascar series are the best out there. However I am a very serious hockey fan,love the game and have been looking for a realistic hockey game for along time. EA's NHL games have been fun, but cheesy and not very realistic. If you are looking for a more serious hockey game, that has realistic gameplay then NHL 2K3 is finally the game that can do that.
    1. Graphics-9.5
    2. Sound-7.5
    3. Gameplay-9.5
    4. Replay value-10[/list=1]

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Also, I forgot to add, the goaltenders move in a realistic fashion as well. And I have not got into the meat and potatoes of the game, I have only played exhibition games, but from what I have played, I love this game. I hope someone can post a list of sliders for this game as they have for Madden. That means you Rudy N. Where are you at????

11. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Also I have mine on the PS2, it is not 16x9 or progressive scan.

12. Duane_T

Jeff, thanks for the info.

I'm glad I have work to take home this weekend - hopefully it keeps me busy enough to forget about the wait.

13. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

14. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

This online exclusive to MS right?

15. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Yes, online on XBox only.

16. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

No problem Duane, when are you guys getting it up there? I played some more last night and still can't get over how realistic it is. I saw the goaltenders do stuff on the that they really do in the NHL. There was a point where the other team put the puck on net and there was a rebound that sat there in front of crease for a second so Roy came out of the crease and dove on the puck to stop play. I also like that they poke the puck away when it is near the crease.

17. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll be able to get this game until Xmas. In the meantime, like Graeme posted above, I recommend Thunderpuck.

Also, is the PS2 version going to have any online support? Roster updates? I don't have broadband so Xbox Live is not an option. If I can get roster updates on the PS2 that would be great. Otherwise, I'll buy the Xbox version and try to do my own roster updates.

18. Duane_T

Called a few stores for XBox release date - they've all said the 19th or 20th - this feels like waiting for Santa.

19. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I know how it felt for me. I wanted this title really bad after the dissapointment with NHL 2003. But don't worry Duane, I will play it enough this weekend for the both of us. I plan on going through a season first and then getting into the franchise mode. One thing I wish this hockey game would do is give you real time power play. I have never seen a hockey game let you accelerate the normal game time and slow down the power play time for real time. That drives me nuts, because you can never seem to get alot of power play goals.

20. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

So has anybody else been playing this? I played this over the weekend and love it. It is by far the most realistic hockey game I have ever played.