NHL 2K3 question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by James Bergeron, Jun 22, 2003.

1. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Hi, I noticed a lot of players of this game on here.

I started a season and played like 12 games. I'm doing "ok" I'm in 2nd in my division. I've won like 8 games tied 2 lost 2. Anywho, it's set to pro.

My scores are like 2-1 1-0 3-1 4-1 3-0 stuff like that. I realize this game is a low scoring game and I enjoy that, but if I look at the stats for the season my stats look like:
    GF 15 GA 12

But EVERY other team has retarded stats like
    GF 50 GA 47 etc ????

So obviously I'm ranked #1 as defence but #30 for offence. I'll never be ANYWHERE near the scoring leaders.

Is this normal? Seems odd.

Anyone else scoring more than 3 or 4 goals a game?

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The game is a little wierd in a few areas.

There are a few tricks you can use for scoring goals a bit more consistantly. The most "popular" is the swoop goal where you can easily get the goalie out of position and shoot the puck into a half open net.

Also, the speed at which the game is played can make a big difference on the number of goals. On a slower, more realisitic speed, it is very difficult to score on one timers as the goalie will be able to get across almost every time. On a faster speed, it's much easier to get those in.

When I first started playing the game, I was having trouble scoring more than a goal or two. Now I can score plenty, but I don't always like how I have to get them.

3. James Bergeron

Yeah, I'm starting to get more goals, I just played 2 games and got 4 goals. So if I play on a "faster" setting I'll get more goals... that's interesting. I'm still trying to master picking up the puck.

I can get control 60% of the time and keep it in the zone (at least I try to) but when they get in my zone it's a free for all in front of my net! I can't seem to get the puck and clear it nicely. So they get like 5 shots then none for half the period then 10 shots. It's crazy.

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

to me this game was the best sports game released last year, 2k4 should be perfect.

EDIT:

http://forums.operationsports.com/ub...b=5&o=&fpart=1

copy/paste the URL, this guy's sliders have increased the fun factor for me at least tremendously. I've played my fair share of games on xbox live w/these slider adjustments and no matter how hard they try the BS goals will not go in 95% of the time if you are on top of things. I think if you take the hour or so to manually edit(an AR update is out) the goalies, you will see much more realistic goals scored.

5. James Bergeron

Thanks!

EDIT: after reading it, it sounds interesting, but I am getting fairly even games so I won't change them just yet. It is hard to score though. Seems like a lot of work to edit every goalie!

6. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

People think the swoop goal is a cheap way to score, but in real hockey give a guy a clean shot at the goal like that and he is going to score. Scoring with that move has been around since the Genesis hockey days. Basically if you can shut that move down you will win all the time.

Wrap around goals work well, and you will start seeing the set up for one timers that are guaranteed to go in.

7. Graeme Clark

But the goalie would never be so out of position as to give the guy a shot that easy.

Treyarch has even admitted that it was a bug that was found after the game shipped.

8. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

I would like to actually see the quote where they say it's a bug, because honestly almost every incarnation of hockey let's you score with that move, so I doubt it's been a bug in all the hockey games for close to a decade now.

9. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

or if it was a bug that they wouldn't have tested that particular move

10. Graeme Clark

Every hockey game has the exact same sure fire goal??? EAs games have had similar ways, but I wouldn't call it the same.

11. James Bergeron

Last night, I played 3 games and got 4 goals in each game, so I think I'm figuring it out. I take WAY too many shots, but what the heck, if you dump it at the net I figure I'll score a crappy goal here and there, I had 60 shots in a game yesterday, of course I held the other team to 16, so I was doing something right!

Also figured out to play more positional and NOT to chase the guy around the back of the net, that kills me as they end up doing a wrap around or I leave a guy open in front.

Wrap arounds work great and one timers. All three of those games were fun, because as soon as they scored I would score like 20 seconds later!

I scored in overtime 6 seconds in, that was great [​IMG]