What's new

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Carlo,

Chicago is scary good. The Bruins gave it a good run, though.

Love my Bruins! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Only bummer for me? My aunt's employers (with whom she's very close) are big-shots in Chicago. And if there were a Game 7, I would have had an outside chance of going, and if I were invited, it would have been *very* good seats.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to the Hawks.After the way Boston ran through their last series I didn't have much hope for the Hawks in the finals but I'm happy they won.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Carlo Medina said:
Only bummer for me? My aunt's employers (with whom she's very close) are big-shots in Chicago. And if there were a Game 7, I would have had an outside chance of going, and if I were invited, it would have been *very* good seats.
I had great seats for Game 7 and, believe me, I am not complaining that they ended it in six! :thumbsup:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,

Very nice! It's refreshing to read these stories in sports every now and then.So, who wins the Cup next year?
Agreed. There are so many sensationalized, negative stories in the news that it is refreshing to read something like this. It was a very classy gesture by the Bruins -- but I still hate them. :D

As for picking next year's Cup winner, I have trouble picking which teams will get out of the first round once the matchups are set. I do not like my chances of picking the Cup winner before the off season moves are even made. :lol:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

I edited your post because it contained some errors.

"Agreed. There are so many sensationalized, negative stories in the news that it is refreshing to read something like this. It was a very classy gesture by the Bruins -- and they are quickly becoming my favorite team, even more so than the Montreal Canadiens."

;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,

I edited your post because it contained some errors.

"Agreed. There are so many sensationalized, negative stories in the news that it is refreshing to read something like this. It was a very classy gesture by the Bruins -- and they are quickly becoming my favorite team, even more so than the Montreal Canadiens."

;)
That's it -- I'm taking off the kid gloves. To follow Carlo's request, I am now picking the Bruins to win next year's Cup. Your team is now doomed, Scott! Doomed, I say! :rolling-smiley:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Talk about major heartbreak, to lose the game the way the Bruins did. Still, both teams had a great run, but unfortunately, there has to be a winner and a loser. Congrats to the Chicago Blackhawks for winning the Stanley Cup.

Good thing for hockey to salvage this season, even if it's a short one.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Congratulations to Ryan Hartman of the Plymouth Whalers for being taken in the first round of the NHL Draft, at #30 overall to the Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks.Ryan's selection makes it four consecutive years where at least one Plymouth Whaler has been selected in the first round. The list:2010: Tyler Seguin (Boston)2011: J.T. Miller (Rangers), Rickard Rakell (Anaheim), Stefan Noesen (Ottawa)2012: Tom Wilson (Washington)2013: Ryan Hartman (Chicago)Matt Mistele has a very good chance of keeping the Whalers streak alive in the 2014 draft, too.

FYI, 22 of this year's 30 first round picks came from the three major junior leagues that make up the Canadian Hockey League (CHL) -- the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), the Western Hockey League (WHL) and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL). That number could increase to 23 if Montreal's first round pick, Michael McCarron of the US Development League, decides to back out of his letter of intent to Western Michigan and play for the London Knights of the OHL.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I see that the Bruins drafted Mitchell Dempsey of Sault Ste. Marie (OHL) with the 2nd to last pick in the draft (7th round). FYI, Scott and Aaron, he played with the Plymouth Whalers in 2011-12 and was traded to the Soo before last season. It's only a 7th round pick, so don't get upset when he never makes it to the NHL. I was surprised to see him actually get drafted. He was a former 1st round OHL draft pick of Plymouth's who was not very impressive.

FYI, the final stats for the CHL in the draft:

1. A record 22 of the 30 first round picks, surpassing the 21 picks in 2011 and 1998. There were 8 players each taken from the WHL and OHL, and 6 from the QMJHL. Three of those OHL picks were from the league's defending champion London Knights, who will host next year's Memorial Cup.
2. 63% of the players taken in the first three rounds, tying their best from 1995.
3. 48% of all players taken in the draft -- 37 from the OHL, 33 from the WHL and 31 from the QMJHL.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Seems like Vancouver got fleeced on their deal. They were in a tough spot, but the 9th pick for Schneider? ouch.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
sean1976 said:
Seems like Vancouver got fleeced on their deal. They were in a tough spot, but the 9th pick for Schneider? ouch.
They traded Schneider because no team would touch Luongo's contract with a ten foot pole. While the #9 pick may not seem like much, I have seen Bo Horvat play a lot, and he's a terrific prospect. He was London's best player during their OHL playoff run to the title this season, and the Knights had three first round picks in this year's draft from that team. Horvat scored two shorthanded goals on the same shift against my hometown Whalers in OHL conference finals, and he was impressive throughout that series.

I was hoping the Habs could trade up for Horvat. It sounds like Bergevin tried, but came up short in the offer. In a normal draft year without so many excellent prospects, Horvat probably would have been a top 3 selection.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Scott Merryfield said:
They traded Schneider because no team would touch Luongo's contract with a ten foot pole. While the #9 pick may not seem like much, I have seen Bo Horvat play a lot, and he's a terrific prospect. He was London's best player during their OHL playoff run to the title this season, and the Knights had three first round picks in this year's draft from that team. Horvat scored two shorthanded goals on the same shift against my hometown Whalers in OHL conference finals, and he was impressive throughout that series.

I was hoping the Habs could trade up for Horvat. It sounds like Bergevin tried, but came up short in the offer. In a normal draft year without so many excellent prospects, Horvat probably would have been a top 3 selection.
Indeed I've heard good things about him as well. But surely they could have gotten a more immediate return for Schneider. The problem as I see it with that trade, is that although Horvat is a tremendous prospect 1. There are no guarantee with prospects, no matter how high they're drafted, and 2. Vancouver's time to make a play at the cup is now. Their roster is aging, and their window of opportunity is closing. If they are thinking of rebuilding early it's seemingly a smarter trade, but I doubt their fans or ownership want them to go in that direction already. Buying out Luongo IMO would have been a better move. Now they're stuck with a Goalie who doesn't know if he even wants to play in Van, and I don't blame him after all he's been through. ( Not that I feel sorry for him, with all the millions he's making, but I definitely don't blame him for wanting to get out of there ).

Users who are viewing this thread