What's new

NHL 2011-12 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Wings are now in a deep hole after losing last night. This appears to be one of the few first round series that I may get right. :laugh:
You can stick a fork in the Penguins. James Neal, Asham and Craig Adams are all suspended for Game 4. Get out the brooms.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
I too may get my first round pick right (especially regarding the Red Wings), although I was not as confident as you with most of my other picks. I think the Predators may be for real this year, and am not too surprised by this result. But I never thought that the Canucks, Penguins, and Red Wings could all be ousted in the first round of the playoffs this year.
Well, I was wrong about Backstrom -- he too has been suspended for one game. I'm pleased that Asham was suspended for four games. I wish someone would put him in his place on the ice, but I don't know who that 'someone' would be. Thankfully, his season will be over soon anyway. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Penguins remain alive by trouncing the Flyers 10-3, the Canucks do the same against the Kings (3-1), and the Rangers lose their seventh straight postseason overtime game (3-2). Now the pressure may actually switch to a couple of the teams that are up three games to one, including the Predators. However, I have this feeling that Nashville gets it done the next game. And I think the Penguins and Canucks will both win their next games at home, sending their respective series to a sixth game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Pens and Flyers played what actually resembled a real playoff game last night. Philly should be getting a little nervous now that Pittsburgh has narrowed the series to 3-2.
The Predators dispatched the Wings last night. It was cool to see Michigan native (and Plymouth Whaler alum) David Legwand get the series-winning goal against his favorite team from childhood.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Seguin comes up big after underperforming!! Top line has woken up and Thomas is in post-season form.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Penguins are done, and the Bruins get a crucial goal in OT to send the series back to Boston for a game seven on Wednesday night. The heart-rate was quite high this afternoon! As Jeff G. said a few posts ago, it's never easy with Boston.
I loved Seguin figuring in the final two goals for Boston (assist, goal). Points-wise, he had been quiet up until this point. I loved his patience at the net right before he got the game-winning goal. I'm not sure I would have seen it had it not been replayed several times.
That was one gutsy win by Boston on the road, especially in (yet another) elimination game, and after having lost a heart-breaker yesterday afternoon by the same score. That non-call on the Caps right before Ovechkin scored almost had me making a trip to Washington. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Penguins didn't show up for Game 6, after getting back into the series with two solid wins. With all that talent, they should have showed a lot more.
Seguin's game winner was pretty. If the Bruins had to win, I'm glad it was Tyler who scored. This has been an excellent series that has been well-played by both teams. I'm looking forward to Game 7.
So, what do the Canucks do after this quick exit? Does Vaigneault get the axe as coach? If so, he may get a return engagement in Montreal. Also, does Vancouver try to trade Luongo's huge contract this offseason? Toronto may be interested, as they desperately need a goalie. Luongo may suck in the playoffs, but the Leafs would probably be happy with a goalie that just gets them to the post season.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
So glad to see the Flyers took care of business in Game 6 and not allow the series to go to a Game 7. Otherwise, we would probably be looking at a choking situation.

Speaking of which, it sure looks that way for the #1 seed in the East.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter C said:
So glad to see the Flyers took care of business in Game 6 and not allow the series to go to a Game 7. Otherwise, we would probably be looking at a choking situation.
Walter,
Yeah, I'm a bit surprised by the Rangers - Senators series thus far. I'm not unhappy about the result, of course. ;)
Scott,
I thought of you when Seguin scored the winner yesterday. I remember your comments about having met his girlfriend/fiancée some time ago. I'm hoping that Seguin plays really, really well in Game 7 and (assuming that Boston advances) throughout the playoffs.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I loved Table Hockey as a child. I used to play it for hours at a time at my friend's house, and then we'd play it the next day at my house. Good times. :)
94ba52b0_P1-BF874_TABLE_G_20120422185523.jpeg

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303425504577352130202974236.html

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
I thought of you when Seguin scored the winner yesterday. I remember your comments about having met his girlfriend/fiancée some time ago. I'm hoping that Seguin plays really, really well in Game 7 and (assuming that Boston advances) throughout the playoffs.
My wife was watching when Seguin scored, too, and was happy (being the good Whalers fan she is). She keeps telling me I need to root for the Bruins because of him, but I told her I just cannot do it. I'm resigned to being happy seeing Seguin do well, though. I caught his interview on NBC right after the game. He still seems like a very nice, level-headed kid, and hasn't let the success go to his head -- just like he was when he played junior hockey here.
Funny you should mention table hockey, Scott. I've been itching to buy one for awhile, and actually placed a couple of different models in my Amazon wish list recently. Some good friends of ours have a high quality air hockey table, which is fun, too, but I'd love one of the table hockey games that I played as a kid.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
My wife was watching when Seguin scored, too, and was happy (being the good Whalers fan she is). She keeps telling me I need to root for the Bruins because of him, but I told her I just cannot do it. I'm resigned to being happy seeing Seguin do well, though. I caught his interview on NBC right after the game. He still seems like a very nice, level-headed kid, and hasn't let the success go to his head -- just like he was when he played junior hockey here.
Funny you should mention table hockey, Scott. I've been itching to buy one for awhile, and actually placed a couple of different models in my Amazon wish list recently. Some good friends of ours have a high quality air hockey table, which is fun, too, but I'd love one of the table hockey games that I played as a kid.
Scott,
I saw that Table Hockey link on Facebook (sent to me by a friend) this morning. I wouldn't mind getting another Table Hockey game either. On a somewhat releated note, I own the original "Talking Football" game that came out around 1971.
I have one thing to say about your opening paragraph, and you can take this one to the bank: You should listen to your wife. :D ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
I saw that Table Hockey link on Facebook (sent to me by a friend) this morning. I wouldn't mind getting another Table Hockey game either. On a somewhat releated note, I own the original "Talking Football" game that came out around 1971.
I have one thing to say about your opening paragraph, and you can take this one to the bank: You should listen to your wife. :D ;)
I still have one of the vibrating electric table top football games in the closet in our basement -- Super Bowl IV, Chiefs versus Vikings. I haven't played it since I was a kid, but cannot bring myself to get rid of it.
As for listening to my wife, I'm sure her comment would be "why would he start now?" :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter C said:
Walter,
As much as I wished for New York to lose tonight, the Rangers bounced back quite nicely against Ottawa in game six. I think the Rangers will take game seven on their home ice.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Who were those clowns that were commentating for the broadcast of the Rangers game last night on NBCSports? They were horrible from beginning to end. At the start of the game, one of them observed that the Rangers were starting with their number one line, which was risky because "they were putting all their eggs in one basket". What the hell is that supposed to mean? A single 40-second shift at the beginning of the game is "putting all their eggs in one basket"? Then, on Ottawa's late goal, they kept babbling on regarding how the goal was not reviewable in Toronto because the question was whether there was goaltender interference. However, it was immediately clear for everyone to see the kicking motion towards the puck by Ottawa's Neil, which is reviewable in Toronto. It took several minutes (and probably people in the studio talking in their ears) before they even mentioned the kicking motion. You would think that NBC could hire broadcasters that knew something about the sport.
BTW, I am really surprised that goal was not taken away. It didn't affect the outcome of the game, but it could have.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ockeghem /t/315438/nhl-2011-12-season-discussion-thread/90#post_3919436
Walter,
As much as I wished for New York to lose tonight, the Rangers bounced back quite nicely against Ottawa in game six. I think the Rangers will take game seven on their home ice.

I think so as well, and if all the top seeds win, it will be the Rangers against the Flyers, which I don't look forward to. The Rangers swept the season series. Then again, I don't think the Flyers would have a chance against the Bruins either, with their spotty goaltending.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have to agree with you, Walter. I think the Flyers weak goaltending will be their undoing in the 2nd round if they face the Rangers or Bruins. Bryzgalov has been too inconsistent in net, something that neither New York nor Boston need to worry about with Lundqvist or Thomas. If they somehow luck out and both teams lose their Game 7, though, anything would be possible. I do not see that happening, though.
The West should be pretty straight forward in the next round, with St. Louis and Nashville being solid favorites. However, these playoffs have not be going entirely as expected, and both LA and Phoenix have hot goaltenders. I could see the Kings pulling off another upset, as the Blues can have trouble scoring under normal circumstances. The Predators, though, have too much talent to fall to the Coyotes, IMO.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,
I agree with regard to the Rangers. They're dangerous. The Rangers handled the Bruins rather well this year, up until the final game in New York.
I think the Predators are going to be very tough the rest of the way. But as Scott said, these playoffs have not been going entirely as expected. I'm looking forward to the next round. Of course, Boston has to get there first. ;)

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
First post the whole season.
Wow, my Habs REALLY stunk this year.
But, for some reason, I feel REALLY good tonight!
Wonder why that is?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks