What's new

NHL 2011-12 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was an interesting opening night in the NHL playoffs. I wasn't surprised that the Red Wings lost their opener (on the road), but I certainly didn't expect the Flyers to come back from an 0-3 deficit to defeat the Penguins (and in Pittsburgh). I also thought that the Kings' victory in Vancouver was a bit unexpected. I watched almost that entire game, and it was a good one. With slightly less than three minutes to play, the Canucks turned the puck over and the Kings capitalized. Give credit too to the Kings' ability to kill off penalties. When they got a penalty with about six or so minutes left in regulation, Vancouver poured it on, and the Kings were up to the task.
The Red Wings game was a good one too. The incident where Shea Weber pounded Zetterberg's head into the glass was the focus of a few sports programs this morning. I don't know if the league will take any action (my guess is that they will not). But the retaliation will be interesting to see. I'm guessing that Bertuzzi will probably be on call. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Penguins blowing a big lead did surprise me, but the Canucks losing doesn't. Luongo is very inconsistent in goal, so anything can happen with that team.
Speaking of Bertuzzi, his nephew plays for Guelph in the OHL. He is just as annoying as his uncle, but just a lot smaller -- well under 6 feet and 170 pounds.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Here's an update on the Weber - Zetterberg incident. Weber was fined $2,500.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/7806333/2012-stanley-cup-playoffs-nhl-fines-shea-weber-blow-henrik-zetterberg-head

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So does anyone here think that there needs to be discipline handed down for some of the incidents in last night's games?
It was bead luck for Helm and the Red Wings that he suffered a freaky injury after finally getting back into the lineup.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
blue line 3 rows back. awesome seats, crappy game. refs were shit tonight. these punches to the back of the head need to stop. you're messing with people's lives not just their status that game. Nucks can't get a call to save their life. Quick was amazing. 48 shots? he really stole this one. none of the other Kings showed up save Brown and Stoll. Nucks are playing like shit. Hank, Burr, and Lu seem to be the only ones that are showing up. We need Daniel back next game. perhaps that will not only get the first pp unit going again but also provide the momentum swing we need to turn the series.
Seats were amazing. Will definitely do it again.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I can't feel bad for the Canucks, because they reap what they sow. Their completely over the top diving is causing the refs to go deaf to their complaints. The same thing happened last year in the final, and if they didn't learn from that, they deserve everything they get. Kesler alone has earned at least 4 diving penalties, which is too bad because he's a great player and would be known as a warrior were it not for him constantly cartwheeling and head snapping after a little contact (or no contact t all).
It's the playoffs boys, suck it up and play like you have a pair.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jeff, my fellow Bruins fan!
Are you planning to get tickets for this year's playoffs? If so, have a great time. I wish I could be at one of the Bruins' playoff games. I can't imagine the atmosphere. I've never been to a playoff game for any of the Boston sports teams.
The puck is going to be dropped in another few minutes. I'm getting all geared up for this game.
Go Bruins!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Unortunately, not going to any games this year, unless I get tickets myself. Had to budget out my ST for the playoffs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am shocked by the terrible play and loss of composure by the Penguins. A team with that much playoff experience should be embarrassed by their performance.
The Canucks are switching goalies. They should have begun the series with Schneider in goal. Luongo sucks as a playoff goaltender.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was surprised by the Pens too. Then near the end when Neal was running around, took a shot at Couterier then hit Giroux in the head.
Hockey players seem lIke they don't care about whether or not they hurt each other.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I thought the Penguins would win this series in five games. I'm quite surprised thus far by the result. Assuming that Boston gets by the Capitals, I would still much rather play Philadelphia than Pittsburgh.
I watched a ton of hockey today, as well as the Red Sox game and some NBA games. It's great that every NHL playoff game is being televised. I'm off to watch the Canucks - Kings game in a few minutes.
Go Bruins!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Well, that is surprising. Looks like the Canucks get to have another Presidents Trophy parade, and the Pens get to spin the revolving door outside Shanahan's office on their way to an embarrassing loss. Can't say I predicted it, but I'm liking it. Now if only the B's can avoid their first round crappy play and solve the Caps. Then again, it wouldn't be Bruins playoffs if they made it easy.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Then again, it wouldn't be Bruins playoffs if they made it easy."
No kidding. Last year, when Boston lost the first two games (at home!) to Montreal, I was definitely worried. But we know what the Bruins did in the next two games, and how that series (and their great year) turned out.
Let's go Bruins!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Whew, that was quite a game between Boston and Washington tonight. Thankfully, Boston pulled it out. The announcers on the NHL network who were recapping the game said the role players -- and not necessarily the 'stars' -- were again getting it done for Boston. Sure, Chara scored the game-winner, but scores by Paille and Rolston were a nice surprise tonight. Now they have a couple of days off. I'm hopeful that Boston can put a strangle hold on the Capitals on Thursday night and come back to Boston up 3-1 in games. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have returned from the hockey wasteland that is South Carolina, so hopefully I will be able to see a better variety of playoff games now. Our SC condo's cable system doesn't get either NBCSports (formerly Versus) or the NHL Network -- and certainly not CBC -- so last week I was stuck catching pieces of whatever games NBC was showing on the weekends. On the plus side, I did watch some of the Wings - Predators game on my Android phone while laying by the pool on Sunday. :laugh: Verizon streams all games carried by NBC for free to 4G LTE customers.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Having watched Game 3 of PIT at PHI, I have various questions about NHL penalties. Some people may disagree but I think that NHL should do more to prevent fighting- Virtually all other sports such as Basketball and Football, one will quickly get thrown out of the game if you hit someone. Why not in NHL. In many sports there is more concern with Concussions. Crosby was out for a very long time with a Concussion. It is stupid of him to fight. See the following article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/17/sports/hockey/in-nhl-playoffs-fists-are-up-and-so-are-penalties.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Now my questions. Whenever there is a fight, I am correct there is a 5 minute penalöty for both fighters. During the 5 minutes, both teams have one less player. I believe for a 10 minute this is not so. Is their a further penalty after one has many fights say 20 or 30. In soccer, after one has 5 yellow cards, one has a one game suspention.

There was a Match--deliberate injury for 10 min - Ashham was tossed. Why 10 minutes?

In the 1st period, there were two Game Misconduct also 10 minutes for Letang and Timonen - both were tossed. Again why 10 miutes.

I also saw there were several 10 minute Misconduct. In this case, I believe the players were not ejected. What is the difference between Misconduct and Game Misconduct. Both Neal and Simmons were give a ten minute Misconduct penslty I believe they were not ejected. If one receives a 10 minute penalty with less than 10 minutes left, can they leave?

That 1st period was in my opinion very brutal!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I will not get into the pros / cons of fighting in hockey -- the discussion can get pretty heated, with very passionate views. I do know that there are serious discussions going on about banning fighting at the Canadian major junior level -- mostly due to the current concerns about concussions. Fighting is already banned in the college game. By "banned", I mean the player is ejected from the game and faces future disciplinary action.
As for the penalties, if there are offsetting 5 minute major penalties for fighting (one player on each team), then neither team losses a player from the ice -- i.e. both teams still have five skaters aside if there were no other penalties. The penalized players will stay in the penalty box until the first stoppage after their five minutes are served.
If only one player receives a 5 minute major penalty -- whether for fighting or some other infraction -- he must serve the entire 5 minutes and his team must play short a player for that entire time, no matter how many times the opposing team scores.
For a 10 minute misconduct, the team never plays short a skater, but the penalized player stays in the penalty box until the first stoppage after his ten minutes are served -- similar to the coincidental majors. If there is less than 10 minutes remaining in the period, the player will be sent off the ice instead of to the box, and will re-enter the box at the beginning of the next period to serve the remainder of the penalty -- the same thing happens with coincidental 5 minute majors.
Game misconducts, along with the ejection for the remainder of the game, also can result in fines and possible suspensions as they accumulate for a player.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thats pretty good Scott. Also when a player gets five minutes i think he also gets a game misconduct, but that Might just be for a more serious Match penalty.
I grew up watching the Flyers in the 70's so I know what seeing lots of fighting is like.
these days I dont to see it anymore. It is really silly. Not just the fights but all the junk that goes on nearly every play at the end. Pushing and shoving and rabbit punches. That needs to stop.
The other thing that needs to stop and is as bad as third man in or first man off the bench is when a player gets hit on a clean check but gets clobbered because it was a really hard check, a player immediately comes over and starts a fight with the guy who made the hit.
Jeez what a terrible sentence, sorry
Anyway exactly like what happened to Schenn the other night when Asham smoked him after Schenn checked someone.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
TonyD said:
Thats pretty good Scott. Also when a player gets five minutes i think he also gets a game misconduct, but that Might just be for a more serious Match penalty.
Not usually. Most five minute fighting majors do not result in a game misconduct unless the fight really gets out of hand. Also, for example, a player could get a five minute major for high sticking because he cut his opponent and drew blood. He probably will not get a game misconduct for that, unless the referee thought the high stick was an intentional attempt to injure.
You see a lot more 10 minute misconduct penalties at the major junior level than you do in the NHL these days. There is more fighting there, too. I think the first round of this year's NHL playoffs has been rather unusual in the amount of fights and nasty hits. Things were certainly much more brutal in the 1970's and '80's.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Thanks for that information. :)
I'm curious what might happen to Backstrom. I don't think he will get the one-game suspension.
Well, Detroit had better even up the series tonight, or it's not going to be easy to come back against the Predators. If they get past Nashville, it looks like smooth sailing for the Red Wings until the Finals. I think they match up fairly well against most of the remaining teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks