What's new

NHL 2010-11 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Gee phil, I thought whether he made contact with his head "is not the issue?" Just because i posted the pictures that prove he didn't contact his head a page ago, doesn't mean people forgot your sudden change of tune. Then again, ignoring "irrefutable" evidence seems to be your forte. Besides phil, aside from the proper attention being given to banning seamless glass and adding padding to the partitions; most people have put the incident behind them. All except the cuckoo for cocoa puffs Habs fans who are still beating this poor dead horse that is nothing but shoe leather by now. Oh and phil, Grapes' real comment was that Chara never targeted the head and the protests were silly. Just like the vast majority of other comments not originating in Montreal.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Even though the Habs and Bruins have had an intense rivalry over the years and will probably meet in the 1st round of this year's playoffs (won't that be something) it's the Toronto Maple Leafs that I reserve most of my antipathy for. The Laffs haven't had a contending team for years, but even so, a Habs Leafs game brings out the competitive juices among its followers unlike any other rivalry. Sort of like a Red Sox Yankee rivalry.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I cannot bring myself to dislike the Leafs. Being a Detroit Lions fan, I can sympathize with Leafs fans.

I am pissed that they made the trade for Kessel, though, as it led to Tyler Seguin ending up with the Bruins. Now there is one Boston player I have to root for.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Max Pacioretty showing no signs of post concussion syndrome, and expected to start full contact practices in 3-5 weeks. Could be back in time for the playoffs. Marc Savard was in a dark, quiet room for months and B's fans only wanted Cooke to be suspended. Max is going to the game and the movies a week after Habs fans flood 911, call for a criminal investigation, threaten to boycott sponsors, and then they stage a lame 75 person protest outside the Bell (with Pacioretty inside telling his teammates he feels fine). Seriously, I'm glad the kid is ok, but damn the Montreal media and fans can make a misdemeanor into mass murder.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie

Max Pacioretty showing no signs of post concussion syndrome, and expected to start full contact practices in 3-5 weeks. Could be back in time for the playoffs. Marc Savard was in a dark, quiet room for months and B's fans only wanted Cooke to be suspended. Max is going to the game and the movies a week after Habs fans flood 911, call for a criminal investigation, threaten to boycott sponsors, and then they stage a lame 75 person protest outside the Bell (with Pacioretty inside telling his teammates he feels fine). Seriously, I'm glad the kid is ok, but damn the Montreal media and fans can make a misdemeanor into mass murder.
When it comes to hockey, seeing that it's a religion to Montrealers, NOTHING can be exaggerated.

Seriously though, it's good to see Patches recovering. I only hope this isn't a case of him being rushed back before he's fully recovered.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Sorry phil, but the amount of sturm and drang, not to mention the hypocrisy shown by the fans and the media, do nothing but make a laughing stock out of the organization and it's fans. Passion is one thing, stupidity and over reaction is another. I've personally never seen a more spoiled, biased, crybaby bunch of fans, with a sense of entitlement that borders on the maniacal; and I've listened to crap from Yankee fans for years. :rolleyes:

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie /forum/thread/305908/nhl-2010-11-season-discussion-thread/60#post_3791263
Sturm and drang? You ain't seen nuthin. 56 years ago tonight,March 17,1955, the night of the "Maurice Richard riot" in the streets of Montreal.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
And similar to this incident, the majority of the rest of the league agreed with the Richard ruling. Habs fans, on the other hand, (and, in a disturbingly repeated pattern) burn the city and overturn cars. But I guess we can be glad it wasn't over something minor, like a 1st round playoff win.:rolleyes:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
An unusual situation occurred in Saturday night's OHL game between Plymouth and Guelph that brings up a rules question that none of us at the game knew the answer to.

The situation: Plymouth was called for a delayed penalty in the Guelph defensive end, so Guelph pulled their goalie as they cleared the zone. A Guelph player ends up breaking in clear on goal and is pulled down from behind, resulting in a penalty shot. Guelph misses the penalty shot, and the Plymouth player from the initial delayed penalty call goes to the box to serve his two minute penalty.

The rules question is: would Plymouth still have been required to serve the two minute minor penalty if Guelph scored on the penalty shot?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Two different incidents. If a second penalty call had happened and possession was still held by Guelph, then Guelph scored, one of the penalties (the second) would have to be served. My question has always been, if a 5 minute major is called, and the team scores before the whistle, shouldn't the penalty still be served because a major lasts 5 minutes no matter how many PP goals are scored?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Jeff. The only reason we were in doubt is that a goal usually removes a penalty from the board (major penalties not included), so we wondered if the penalty shot goal would remove the other "power play", even though it technically hadn't started yet. I do not remember ever seeing the exact scenario I described above ever occurring in a game I was watching, so it must be a very rare situation.

It would have been interesting to see if the OHL officials got the call correct, too. We've witnessed a few blatant misinterpreted rules at this level in the past. They occasionally get confused about when to let a player out of the penalty box when there are more than two players serving different penalties. We've seen 6 skaters on the ice when the official at the penalty box let a player out when he wasn't supposed to.

That's a good question regarding a delayed major penalty. That's another uncommon situation, so I do not know the answer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
BTW, Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke looks like he's finally going to get some serious discipline from the league. He took a run at a Rangers player yesterday, and delivered an elbow to the head. It was a very blatant move, so I do not know how it could be interpreted as anything except an intent to injure. The game was on NBC, so it received a lot of exposure (by NHL standards, that is ).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's about time. He's everything the league wants to get rid of. I imagine the Habs fans are organizing a protest against "violence in hockey" outside the Bell as we speak. Maybe at this "general protest against violence that has nothing to do with Habs players" they'll leave the "Chara Sucks" and "Lucic is my Bitch" signs at home? The only thing more hypocritical is the guy who employs Cooke, yet decries violence in hockey. Edit - He got the rest of the season plus the first round. Finally a suspension that is deserved and makes a statement. He was on his way to killing someone, deliberately killing someone.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
In addition to his (declining) hockey skills, Dr. Recchi obviously has a medical degree which apparently, none of us were aware of. Perhaps,it would have behooved Recchi to have consulted with the bonafide physicians who treated Pacioretty prior to offering us all his ill advised and insensitive medical diagnosis. If Sean Avery can be suspended for making ignorant statements about his exgirlfriends,then Recchi should be sanctioned by the NHL as well.

Recchi has other things to worry about..maybe instead of angering a team that has owned his team all season (and beyond), and giving them even MORE of a reason to bring it tonight (like they did during the last meeting), he should be more worried about going 1-5 this season against his likely 1st round opponent. But by all means, Mark, use your limited energy to keep making radio appearances. Did you do many of those during your team's epic fail last year?

In light of all that's happened, I'm predicting that both benches will clear before Rene Rancourt leaves the ice tonight.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm disappointed that tonight's Habs - Bruins game will not be on TV around here (I do not subscribe to NHL Center Ice). I was hoping that the NHL Network would show the game, but the schedule indicates that Philly vs. Pittsburgh will be on that network. The game is on RDS in Canada, so CBC will not carry it, either.

This is another great example of the NHL's poor understanding of their market. Tonight's Montreal - Boston game should be generating a huge amount of public interest for a regular season game, and yet the league's own network is instead showing a game involving a team without it's two big stars.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Bummer that I have to work tonight, and miss the game. Just hoping the Flyers will rebound after losing a shootout to the Ovechkin-less Caps. Not that winning the #1 seed matters as much in hockey.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Kudos to the Bruins for an utterly dominating performance tonight.

Habs win season series 4-2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks