What's new

NHL 2007 season (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The reasons, in no particular order, are (1) the late starts for the road games, (2) they are stuck in a division with crappy teams that they play too many times due to the unbalanced schedule, and (3) Wings fans really miss playing the Original Six teams. The only one that comes to town regularly is Chicago, and the Blackhawks have never been much of a franchise (they're sort of the Detroit Lions of the NHL). Montreal, for example, played at Joe Louis Arena this season for the first time in five years! I was at the game -- I'm a huge Habs fan -- and there were numerous signs around the arena asking for more Original Six games.

Most Wings fans would prefer more games against Toronto, Montreal, Boston, etc. than seeing Nashville and Columbus all the time. Toronto, especially, used to be a huge rivalry, with lots of Leafs fans living right across the Detroit River in Windsor. Now Toronto only comes to town every 2-3 years.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
In the past, I wouldn't have mind seeing more of the Red Wings, although not so much in the post-Yzerman days.

I hate the current schedule, and wish they would really go back to schedule before all that expansion (I think that was when everybody would face everybody at least 3 times).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
At the very least, each team should play every other team at least twice per season -- once home and once away.

As a Montreal fan, I enjoy seeing them play rivals Toronto and Boston 8 times each season. However, decreasing that to 6 times wouldn't be a big deal, and would allow every team to play in each arena at least once.

Now, imagine Detroit fans being subjected to 8 games each versus Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis and Chicago. That's 40% of their games against unattractive opponents. Heck, if I was a Wings season ticket holder, that would be enough to make me give up my seats.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I guess I should consider myself fortunate, with the Atlantic division pretty much with the former Patrick Division intact (minus the Captials). Although I never really saw the Islanders as an attractive opponent.

I used to be a Habs fan myself, until they traded away all of their great players in the mid-90's. I think trading away Roy was the final straw for me (even though I know that he wanted out). They were my second team when the Flyers missed the playoffs for 6 straight seasons.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

As a Habs fan, I also do not mind the current division setup that much, either, since their two biggest rivals -- Toronto and Boston -- are in the same division. However, I do understand Wings fans' frustration over their division placement. If Montreal was stuck with those types of opponents, I wouldn't be happy.

As for Montreal's fire sale in the '90's, that was very tough to watch. They pretty much gave away Chelios, Schneider, Roy, LeClair, Recchi, and numerous other very talented players. The team went from a perennial contender (three Cup Finals and two titles in seven years) to an also-ran due to economics.

At least with the late '70's dynasty, the dismantling was more due to an aging team than a reluctance to pay the players.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I don't know if anyone is still following the NHL this season, but it was fun watching the Flyers game on Saturday, as they beat the Islanders on the road. Their power play is clicking.

While I'm glad to see the NHL getting rid of the unbalanced schedule, it's still not good enough.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I still follow the league, but it's tough to see my favorite team (Montreal) here in Detroit. They are rarely on Versus, and the local CBC affiliate usually televises the Maple Leafs instead. The past couple of weeks have been the exception -- two HD games on Versus, and last Saturday night against the Penguins on CBC. Unfortunately, I only caught the final few minutes of the CBC game -- we were attending an Ontario Hockey League game featuring our local team, the defending champion Plymouth Whalers.

Actually, we attend the Whalers games quite regularly. It's close to home, the prices are very reasonable, and the hockey is very entertaining. You get to see some future NHL stars, and every seat is close to the ice. We probably attended 18-20 games last season, and have been to 7-8 so far this season.

Meanwhile, I do not plan on going to any NHL games this season -- although I went to three Wings games last season (one vs. my Habs, who were in town for the first time in five years).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

And the Wings will be visiting Toronto for the first time in 5 years as well. How messed up is that? No Original Six team should go that long without playing in each other's building. Instead, fans will have to be subjected to the likes of teams from places where no one gives a rat's ass about hockey.

I'll be seeing those Habs when they come to Philly in February. It should be a good game, with the Canadiens being a great road team, and somehow having the Flyers' number.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

When I was at the Wings - Canadiens game last season, there were many fans with signs that said "We want more Original Six". This is a major complaint of Red Wing fans. Toronto and Montreal used to be major rivals of the Wings, and it's years between visits now. There are a lot of Leafs fans just across the river in Windsor, too. It sounds like this should improve a little next season, but it still will not be like before when each team came to town multiple times a season.

This is just another product of over expansion. Gary Bettman was being interviewed locally last year and was told about Wings fans complaint of playing in the Western Conference. The moron couldn't understand why Detroit fans were upset. I guess he thought all those great matchups against Columbus and Nashville were better than playing traditional rivals. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread