NHL 2007 season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff Ulmer, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

One season over, on to the next.

Draft starts tomorrow and my Canucks just scored Luongo (assuming they can sign him) for Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld. Pronger apparently wants out of Edmonton...

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Jeff you don't know how hard it is being a Canucks fan in Alberta over these last two years. I should never have moved here.

Good to hear about Luongo, hope they can draft smart. should have a decent position, and maybe with the draft at home will pull a couple more rabbits out of the ol hat.

I missed the awards show, is there anywhere I can catch this online?

Thanks.

3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    What's the problem with Alberta? It's not like Calgary or Edmonton actually won the Stanley Cup.

Go Lightning!

4. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    What is up with Pronger, anyway? Didn't they retool that team around him this year?

Truth be told, I should be looking forward to this season as much as anyone outside of Raleigh, seeing as how columnists for both SI and MSNBC have called the Sabres preseason favorites. It's a strange feeling, I don't like it.

I read a few Sabres MBs and fans are already calling for a 'Stanley or bust' mentality this year. Not sure about that just yet. But if nothing else, they're apparently going back to a blue and gold color scheme (new logo, though) sometime in September. Time to get a new jersey, I guess.

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, Pronger signed a 5 year deal, but now wants out. Rumor has it his wife doesn't like it there. I don't know how much stock there is in that, but hey, it is Edmonton. [​IMG]

It will be interesting to see how all the pieces go together this year. The free agency market has some good players, but not tons of them. Even with a bigger cap, the low dollar guys are going to be the ones being snapped up. There won't be many teams carrying more than one or two big ticket contracts anymore, especially with the number of injuries that plagued everyone last season.

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Great move by Nonis picking up Luongo before the draft.

Also have to like Calgary's move in picking up Tanguay to add a little offense to that team. I'm tired of dump and chase hockey in Calgary...

7. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

This appears to be a similar situation to Bryan McCabe in Toronto....he hasn't signed his overpaid contract. McCabe's wife is from the Long Island area. He suppose to make his decision this week though.

Dave

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
  9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    the bruins got rid of mceachern and travis green, and signed chara and marc savard. if they dumped the old stiffs like fitzgerald and gill, i may enjoy watching the bruins again!

CJ

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    steve yzerman retires. can't imagine any other red wing wearing the C.

CJ

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey Christ, any rumblings on the radio there where Shanny might be heading off to?

Woo, Willie Mitchell!!! Now we need first and second line wingers.

Its going to be mighty tough to score against the Ducks. The two best Defenseman in the NHL + Bryzgalov [​IMG]

And how 'bout the goaltending in the Northwest Division?!
    Vancouver - Luongo
    Calgary - Kipprusoff
    Edmonton - Roloson
    Colorado - Theodore
    Minnesota - Fernandez

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

JR just signed with Phoenix, too bad, I was kinda oping he'd head here. There are rumours of Shanny signing in Vancouver, but who knows, way too many rumours out there. Kinda sad we lost Ruutu to Pittsburg.

13. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

With Bertuzzi and Ruutu gone, the Canucks should have a huge reduction in their sin bin penalties. Those two took a ton of penalties.

Not sure what else the Canucks can afford now. Their 2006-07 salaries are up to around $36 million and they still need a bunch of role players to fill the remaining roster.

Dave

14. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    no, lidstrom just re-signed with the red wings!

CJ

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Cloutier and Crawford reunited, in LA!!!

No details as to what Vancouver gets yet.

16. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Gill signed with Toronto. Fitzgerald was not offered a contract (just like Gill). Looks like Chiarelli is really turning things around. Now if we only could get our hands on a Hart and Art Ross trophy winner. Anyone know of one who likes playing in Boston? [​IMG]

Also, Shanny is in the picture for 4.1 mil/yr, but he's weighing offers. Zhamnov has played his last for the Bruins and probably for the NHL (disability).

17. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Vancouver gets a second round and conditional pick for the 2007 draft for Cloutier - WAY more than most figured they'd get. $2.5M more cap room to play with, but it looks like Carter won't be coming back since he's looking for $3M/season for 3 years.... way too much.

18. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yeah, i hear shanny wants to come to boston because he lives around here in the offseason. chiarelli is making all the right moves so far, imo.

CJ

19. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Yeah, doesn't he live in Craig Janney's old house? [​IMG]

20. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The only way I look at it positively is to say it hastened the exit of O'Connell and Sullivan after him. O'Connell was way over his head and had no clue how to manage an NHL team and Sullivan, while a real nice guy, had a nasty habit of demanding that every player on his teams play like he did - with no balls. He neutered Joe Thornton (6 pims in 20+ games for the guy who once led his team??), sat Andrew Alberts for being too "aggresive" [​IMG] and publicly castigated Nick Boynton for coming to the aid of his goaltender (which was the last straw for me). Plus I don't think the guy was too great at evaluating talent. He had Brad Boyes playing 2-4 minutes a game at first and he would have been a Calder candidate in a year without Ovchekin and Crosby, yet he kept Gill rolling over the boards to get holding call after holding call. Sheesh, I would have tuned him out also, never mind buying into his "dump and don't chase" style for a team that used to ram people through the endboards. Like I said, nice guy, but nobody ever won a cup with a team of Lady Byng winners.