What's new

NHL 2005-2006 Season Game On! Discussion (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Nonis is saying no more UFAs, but they are working on a deal for a D man via trades, though I don't know who else they could deal without creating another problem.

I wonder how soon the UFA market will dive with teams worrying about keeping under the cap with resigning their RFAs and the raises many players warrant. Although they can technically hit $39M, I would suspect the actual cap will be $34-35M with room for injuries and moves down the line.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Forsberg to flyers is official according to TSN
2 year deal worth 10.7

Ecklund has Roenick being dealt to LA to make cap room

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well LA is a rumored destination for Neidermayer now, so I don't know how that would work. If Dallas doesn't have Modano to deal with, they'll be looking for a forward.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

I need a drink :angry:
Back to the team that originally drafted him. First Foote, now this. WTF Pierre?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It's called the reality of the cap. How do you expect to keep a $50-60M roster for under $39M?

With a $42M team last year, the Canucks are basically the same team as before, even after a 24% rollback. I know we would have loved to see Floppa here along with Neidermayer, but that just isn't in the cards.

Meanwhile a lot of previous noncontenders are becoming viable with signings of some pretty major players.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well the Avs ended up picking up:
Pierre Turgeon and veteran Patrice Brisbois.

The Islanders add Satan.

It really feels like the entire landscape has changed. This change could actually resurrect several franchises.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
That was some day. I agree the landscape has changed, but this looks it will be a pretty exciting and competitive season. How the rest of the players will settle into their places will be interesting to watch. I have a feeling some formerly big money players will be signing for whatever they can get as the caps close in.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

NYR reportedly offered him 6 mil. a year. But anyway, it will be sad seeing him in another jersey this year...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

As I said to my friends the year they thought Carolina may have a chance at the Cup - "Once a Whale, always a Whale." :D

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Best Canadian Team to win the Stanley Cup is still Calgary with Amonte, McCarty and Iginla and same cast

Best US team is Tampa again minus Stillman, but Philidelphia is strong.

Best to Worst is probably Nashville, Colorado, Rangers.
Worst to Best, Atlanta, Columbus or Florida

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
since when were the rangers the best at anything, except overpaying players? :) holik made 9.5 million/yr!

CJ

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't think we're done with the craziness yet, there are a lot of RFAs not signed, and any of them could wind up as a UFA if their deals aren't done or go to arbitration.

Morrison has apparently inked a 3 year deal with the Canucks, so that's one off our RFA list.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ouch! :angry: Tampa Bay just took a hit. Last I remember they have an up and comer in goalie but I wonder if that won't really hurt their chances to win another cup.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
In the new NHL, anyone over $6M a season is overpaid.

If the NHLPA site is correct, I have even more respect for Morrison for only taking 2.08M a season. He could have easily demanded 3 and been worth it.

Brad May to the Avs, interesting as he's one of the one's on Moore's lawsuit list.

I kind of hope Ronning resigns to the Canucks. If they actually enforce the interference calls, he would make a dandy low cost 3rd or 4rth liner.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i can't wait to see what these new young talents (crosby, ovechkin) can do. gotta love that crosby is 5'10 or 5'11, maybe clubs will start to draft talent instead of size, at least when it comes to forwards. anyone remember how tall the art ross tropy/hart trophy winner was last season? :)

i have to agree with each name on your list. each player is capable of putting up some decent numbers (sometimes), but to give tkachuk 7.6 million is absurd. to quote my dad's favorite saying about tkachuk, "he is so lazy, he skates like he has the boston globe up his ass. sunday edition."

CJ

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yeah, it seems like this whole rollback was a bunch of hooey, when most RFAs seem to be making at least what they did in the last season. Looking at the list of available UFAs, there are going to be an awful lot of players without contracts this year - over a hundred - with more coming if the RFAs don't get deals done in the next couple of weeks.

I'm sure many players are now wishing they had agreed to last year's final offer, which would have meant another $3M per team and no linkage, plus a full season's pay on top of it. I'd hate to be Goodenow in a dark alley after a game...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks