NHL 2003 XBOX help for a beginner gamer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Nov 26, 2002.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Alright, I have a question. I'm new to xbox and new to gaming as a whole. (the only thing I play on my computer is short games, like pool, or something)
    Now, I've started out on the beginner level and found that quite easy right from the start. I was shutting people out 20-0 and other similar scores with a 5 minute period. I've been a hockey fan of the REAL NHL for as long as I can remember, and think I know how to emulate certain plays on the xbox, enough to be effective, even with my horrible use of the controls. So I played a season in beginner, and also international mode as Japan, and won, and unlocked a lot of NHL cards, etc... so I think I know what I'm doing on "beginner mode".
    So I switch to "easy mode" and I'm getting killed all over the place. Not killed, I mean DEVASTATED!! If I lose a faceoff in my own zone the computer scores right off the faceoff. I am not as fast to the puck and the computer players beat me to it from well back. None of my pokechecks are successful, but I get pokechecked about half the time on my rushes. I NEVER get breakaways, and can't score off my dekes. My goaltenders suck and I have trouble clearing the computer players from the front of the net. I'm playing a much easier team with a top team, so it's nothing related to that, but I've been playing easy for QUITE some time, and still suck, what's the deal?
    Now, I'll admit I'm not the greatest gamer out there, I'm really just getting started in the world of gaming, and have a lot to learn, but this is something I'd expect on the Harder levels. I figured my hockey knowledge would help overcome a few things but obviously not.
    alright, I have some questions about gameplay, regardless of difficulty level.
    1. shot aim. I've played almost all my games on auto but have played a few on manual. I don't notice any difference. How do you aim your shots?
    2. manual deke. whenever I use this feature my guy just goes accross the screen all herky-jerky like, I can't steer, and it's pretty much ineffectual. How do you do this and make things happen with it?
    3. a comment: The fights are really stupid. I realize they probably put this in to satisfy the american market, but if all you do is press buttons as fast as you can, it's pretty silly... I'd like to spin around, pull the guy's jersey over his head and start some real pummelling if I have to fight every once in a while. Kinda a stupid feature.
    4. NHL cards: Alright, I keep getting repeats. This sucks because I have only unlocked 3 more celebrations and only the mile wide easter egg. I have no points left to buy cards, and have checkmarks on almost everything now. (I'll have to go back and check if I need anything else). How do I get more points if my tasklist is complete??
    I had much more questions last night when I was playing my season up until 5am, but forget them now. I'm sure they'll come back to me.
    Can't wait to play this on xbox live!! - er can't wait to GET xbox live!! [​IMG]
    Thanks for letting me vent...

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

3. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Take it back? I can't take it back, it's already opened!! [​IMG]
    got glue?
    Any suggestions Joel?
    And why can't I play it on XBOX live? it's an xbox game isn't it?

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

cause none of the EA Sports games support XBox Live. Just it being XBox game doesn't mean it will support XBL.

5. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    So is there a list of xbox live games out there?

and where can I get help on this NHL2k3 and perhaps other games....

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer