nForce2 Motherboard discussion, information

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Parris, Sep 16, 2002.

1. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Well, even though they have been put off until October, I thought I'd start a thread... can get some good preliminary stuff together.

I'm not one for integrated technologies (audio and video boards) was far as motherboards go, so I'm more interested in the SSP northbridge chipset. As far as the audio goes, though, there's one feature that I find really interesting. (From Tom's Hardware):

2. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

Go for it. I've used one and can't really hear a bad part to the nForce. I'm all for integrated audio because it saves me a pci slot [​IMG]

3. John Parris

How many PCI slots does one really NEED nowadays though? Only ones I use are my Audigy and ethernet card...[​IMG]

4. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

The audio on the nForce is superior to add-in cards (it's the same chip that is used in the Xbox), and it sounds great in games. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault rocks in 5.1. The 1.12 drivers have added pass-through support in Windows 2000 (and a nifty 12-band (I think) EQ).

Among the other interesting features of nForce 2 are the integreated Firewire and dual ethernet ports.

5. John Parris

What S/PDIF interface does the nForce have if any? Anyone know about the nForce2? I would hope for TOS-link or at least a true 75ohm coaxial, but is this expecting too much?

6. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

It depends on the motherboard manufacturer. Most include an ACR riser card that includes coax port. nForce 2 boards with Dolby Digital encoders (and a riser card with coax) will be branded under the SoundStorm label.

7. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

8. John Parris