What's new

nForce2 Motherboard discussion, information (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Well, even though they have been put off until October, I thought I'd start a thread... can get some good preliminary stuff together.

I'm not one for integrated technologies (audio and video boards) was far as motherboards go, so I'm more interested in the SSP northbridge chipset. As far as the audio goes, though, there's one feature that I find really interesting. (From Tom's Hardware):

Dolby Interactive Content Encoder : The name is pretty self-explanatory. Again, this involves a programmable DSP, which encodes Dolby Digital 5.1 and outputs the datastream to the SPDIF-out. This enables a complex 3D audio stream to be sent over a single digital cable and transmitted via 5+1 loudspeakers (five plus subwoofer).
Well, since my HTPC would be for music and games as well as movies, I'm really intrigued by this...seems a step up from my audigy, anyway. This was also a feature on the original nforce boards apparently, so if anyone has any experience with them, please let us know how that's worked out for you.

Any other questions or comments about the nforce2 boards, feel free to post... I'm in the market for some new components at the moment, and I think the nForce2 might have me sold as a new mainboard...

Mark Hsieh

Agent
Go for it. I've used one and can't really hear a bad part to the nForce. I'm all for integrated audio because it saves me a pci slot :)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
How many PCI slots does one really NEED nowadays though? Only ones I use are my Audigy and ethernet card...;)

Gary King

Second Unit
The audio on the nForce is superior to add-in cards (it's the same chip that is used in the Xbox), and it sounds great in games. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault rocks in 5.1. The 1.12 drivers have added pass-through support in Windows 2000 (and a nifty 12-band (I think) EQ).

Among the other interesting features of nForce 2 are the integreated Firewire and dual ethernet ports.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
What S/PDIF interface does the nForce have if any? Anyone know about the nForce2? I would hope for TOS-link or at least a true 75ohm coaxial, but is this expecting too much?

Gary King

Second Unit
It depends on the motherboard manufacturer. Most include an ACR riser card that includes coax port. nForce 2 boards with Dolby Digital encoders (and a riser card with coax) will be branded under the SoundStorm label.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Most include an ACR riser card that includes coax port. nForce 2 boards with Dolby Digital encoders (and a riser card with coax) will be branded under the SoundStorm label.
Sounds like good news to me, although TOS-link is just too much to hope for I guess. The Soyo boards have TOS-link, but they are rediculously priced. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks