Nforce 3 chipset users replacing noisy NB fan

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike_J_Potter, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I recently upgraded my pc, the problem now is that the northbridge fan is too loud on the Nforce3 ultra chipset. I am looking into replacing it with a larger northbridge heatsink thats fanless like this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...118-214&depa=0

Anyone used these will I have cooling issues, the PC is currenty overclocked. Its amd64 3500+ winchester core 90nm overclocked from 2200mhz to 2400mhz via raising the frontside bus from 200mhz to 218mhz. System runs nice and cool right now. I don't do too long of high cpu intesive stuff the occasional video encoding or like 30-60 min gaming sessions.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I would keep a fan on the northbridge, particurly if you overclock. Cooling the northbridge was a way that some of us a7n8x users got some more mhz out of our cpu's. Look into finding/making a fan adapter so that you can use a larger fan this way you can run it at 7v and keep it all nice and queit.

3. Mike_J_Potter

Good point, besides that it looks like running a bigger heatsink will interfere with the video card, or at the least will feed hot air into my video card fan. I played around with bigger fans today today and was able to make a 50mm fan fit. I won't be able to see how well it cools untill I get a new fan since this one has a bad bearing.

4. MattSherlock

MattSherlock Stunt Coordinator

I believe that would be fine since you are only overclocking only 200mhz. Only thing you have to make sure is if you replace it, can you still fit your video card?
    I myself have the MSI Neo2 Plat. mother board and anything higher than 1/2 in high gets in the way of the video card. So I just took out the fan itself leaving the housing and put 2 shallow ram sinks in its place. I over clock my AMD 64 to 2560
    and it don't get hot.

5. Mike_J_Potter

Thanks for the idea, I wound up pulling the original fan putting two small heatsinks (zalman vga ram heatsinks) then a slowed down 50mm fan and so far so good. I have room for a couple more heatsinks under the fan, so I am going to pick up a couple more heatsinks this week to make sure its running cool. Machine is much quieter now, and runs stable even during a half life 2 session which heats up the pc a bit (overclocked cpu and overclocked geforce 6600GT). To put the icing on the cake according to the system monitor the cpu is running 2 degrees cooler .