NFL2K3 to be released early!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean DeMass, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

According to Gamespot, SEGA will be releasing NFL2K3 earlier than expected. The game will now be released on August 13th, along with the new Madden game. You can read about it here.
    This means that the X-box will see all three of its big football titles released within the next two weeks. this also means that they will all be released almost an entire month before the 2002 NFL season starts. :t:
    -Dean-

2. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Yup, I saw that! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Man... this could be a good year for football gaming. I have traditionally been a Madden player, but with their lack of online support for X-Box and their drop of online franchises from PC, I am thinking of going another way this year. NFL2k3 is on the top of my list so far, as I've been seeing and hearing a lot of good things about that game.
    Can anyone convince me that NFL Fever is worth looking at over these two?

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

This goes with SEGAs promise to match or beat EA with their sports titles. EA is going down.

4. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I love Sega.

5. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

This is great news! I have been a huge NFL 2k fan since my DC days. I was not looking forward to reading a couple of weeks of Madden posts before I got to play NFL 2k3. It will be interesting to see how this affects Madden sales. Go Sega!

Chris

6. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Isn't the push to have the first game out a little silly? It's like releasing a Major League Baseball game in February or something.

With the Dreamcast, it wasn't too bad, since you could dial in for free with the built-in modem and get the official roster updates, but I haven't heard yet how the new systems will handle this. I'd rather have the game come out at the beginning of the season with the official opening day rosters.

7. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Sega has no choice. EA beat them to the punch with the college game and that just killed them.
    Everyone that had a college football fix got it with NCAA2003. If Sega released their game at the same time or earlier, it would sell much better.
    The same goes with Madden. There is a percentage that will buy whatever comes out first. The only way to get a fair shake is to release on the same day.
    I'm more apt to buy Sega's game now, before I probably couldn't wait. I'm a Madden fan so I'll buy it on PC anyway.

Doug

8. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

So Madden won't support online game play with this latest version?

If not, Sega here I come!

Troy

9. Andrew Grall

10. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Is NFL 2k3 goign to support Xbox Live? that might make NFL Fever a must have - you KNOW that MS is puttinga lot of effort into the Xbox live part of Fever...

11. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

Both NFL 2k3 and NFL Fever will use XBOX Live. Hopefully both games use the System Link so we do not have to wait until November (when XBOX Live starts up) before we can play online.

Chris

12. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere that NFL 2k3 will support the System Link.

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Too bad they can't release it next week alongside Fever. I want to try both before buying, but Tuesday will be awful tempting....

-Dave

14. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

this is the first time i have seen sega make a smart buisness decision since... quite a while ago. i think i can pass in fever it just hasn't been around enough to be fully polished, 2K3 looks amazing, but madden will be solid too. i am very weary of EA ports at this time b/c of ncaa for xbox, so i will probably buy nfl2k3 and rent madden 2003 to see how it is.

15. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I saw some screen shots for NFL Fever over at Operation Sports and I must say they looked great! The thing that bothers me though is that Fever is being released next week and I have yet to see a review of it. Now why would the publisher not want their game reviewed ...

Of course I have not read a review for Brute Force either and I am still hoping it will be a good game.

Chris

16. Andrew Grall

A review of NFL Fever 2003 at IGN says it's still a "pretty" game, but gameplay is still much too arcade-like.