NFL2K3- How do you defend against this?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Carlos Mendoza, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

My nephew always plays as the Raiders, and for some reason he is nearly always able to keep his QB dropping back and then throwing without setting his feet. My blitzers can never catch him and his off-balance throws always seem to find his capable receivers.

My appeals to his sense of realism are unheeded. Sometimes he drops back about 15 yards or more before releasing the ball.

How would you defend against this?

2. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

Dime package with the Redskins secondary. Line up the LB, and rush the QB with him. You aren't going to score a lot of points with the Skins, but neither will he. It's all about pounding out the running game with Davis.

3. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Well if he's dropping back that much, you definitely can't play bump-n-run that often becuase the receivers will have freed themselves by the time he finishes dropping back. A straight man to man or zone defense with minimal blitzes should do the trick, the more coverage you have in the secondary the more likely you are to disrupt and/or intercept passes that are delivered from an unset QB. When you do play bump-n-run you need to blitz the farm so he can't make his drop back, but you definitely increase your chances of getting burned. A nice goal line D with a big-time blitz might get through on more than one occasion though if he continues to hold on to the ball that long.

Just my $0.02,
    Gary

4. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I played against a guy last night that beat me with this strategy. He was playing as the rams, and ran the same pass play probably 15 times in the game. 4 receivers, shotgun, and he would drop back (sometimes 20+ yards), wait until the pass coverage broke down and then make a big pass. I sacked him a few times, but he was able to elude my blitzers most of the time.

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I don't know how NFL2K3 works, but if you can, call a loose coverage on him, play man to man. You give up a lot of space, but you don't give up any big plays whatsoever. This will make him either throw really short or have to wait an eternity until his receivers get open.

6. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

use a playbook with a cover 12, roam as the ILB
    This is one of the worst things about playing online is players like this. i'll cut your nephew some slack because I assume he's young. If he's over the age of 15 however what you do is you take off your sock and shove it in his mouth.

7. Carlos Mendoza

Yeah, he's only 12 so I do cut him some slack. But he even has the nerve to get mad at ME when I run out the clock or call time-outs to effectively manage the clock.

I want to teach him some football strategy while we play, but this technique of his was really throwing me for a loop.

Right now, he's not open to learning smart football, because you can't argue with success. Once I figure out how to shut this trick down, and start crushing him, maybe he'll start to listen to reason. [​IMG]

He never runs the ball, always goes for it on 4th down, and always goes for 2 after a touchdown. And with this method, he has been able to win many times.

8. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know how to fair catch? I can't figure it out. Thanks.

9. Carlos Mendoza

According to the 2.0 release of the game instructions:

When receiving a punt press the Y button to call for a fair catch.

The complete manual (has a lot more detail than the included instruction booklet), can be found here:

XBox NFL2K3 Manual

10. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

Thankyou for the manual and the info. [​IMG]

11. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

I agree that the drop back situation needs to be corrected in some way in 2k4. Some QBs like Gannon and Warner can just drop back 20-30 yards all day long and still complete passes off their back foots 40 yards down the field. Sega should probably implement some code that causes QBs to loose accuracy when they throw across their body on a roll out and when they drop back and throw off their back foot without setting. Just my 2 cents on the subject [​IMG].

12. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

I don't have xbox live by my nephew does and I played against somebody once and thats exactly what he did. He was the rams @ home and I was the pats and that is exactly how he ripped up my defense. It was really aggravating. [​IMG]

13. Harv

Harv Extra

My son does this against me...I have had success playing a Cover 2 or Cover 12 with minimal rushing, and controlling a free safety with good speed and covering areas of the field where two or more receivers run their routes. I usually end up with 3-4 interceptions a game.

He's recently learned to throw underneath to a tight end or halfback, though - so that keeps me a bit off balance. I generally win though with ball control and short-midrange passes (posts and crossing routes) [​IMG]