What's new

NFL Season 2004-2005 Thread (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Clever or not, you guys did boo Santa Claus.

My opinion is they should hold it in the city of the team who has the #1 pick. That, or just permanently move it to Phoenix.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Jed, I like this idea but I've got to wonder if most 49er fans would even notice if the draft were held in San Francisco? As for holding it in Arizona, I don't know if the NFL would find it so amusing if the Draft Sold out while nobody was going to Cardinal games.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There was a discussion on the local sports talk radio station yesterday about which non-mainstream sports event people would most like to see come to this area. The overwhelming choice of the callers was the NFL Draft.

Personally, I think this would be much more boring in person than on television. There would be 15 minutes of nothing, then a few seconds of action (sort of like watching baseball :) ).

On television, between picks there are all kinds of features on the players selected, the players left on the board, teams needs, watching Mel Kiper's hair not move, etc.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough, CT. I apologize for my snip.

But I'm just SO tired of hearing about the "McNabb got booed!" story. That was one handful of ignorant jerks. Lemme tell you: I was sitting in a room full of lifelong Eagles freekz during that draft and we all CHEERED when Donny's name was mentioned.

I'll admit that (at the time) I would have been happy with McNabb OR Williams, but I really believed that both were excellent players who would seriously help this team improve.

And when those assmunchers started BOOING, my friends and I all looked at each other like "Oh crap. We're going to be living down THIS embarrassment for the next ten years."

Even if Donny WAS a 'bad pick,' you just don't BOO like that and piss all over the kid's big day. You just don't do it.

As usual, a few ignorant wanks paint an obnoxious picture for ALL of Philadelphia. And it really irks me every time I see it.

But, hey, it DID happen, so there's not much I can do about it! But don't forget (and I'm sure you do realize this) that there were TONS of Eagles fans who were just thrilled when McNabb got drafted. And obviously they're even more thriled NOW!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Scott, no apologies necessary, believe me I knew that the way those fans were acting was not representative of the fan base overall and even though that is what I implied in that remark that's not really what I meant to imply or what I believe to be true. It was part of that day, and part of the history of booing Santa Claus and Mike Schmidt and well you know the stuff more than I do.

For me, if I were a Philadelphia fan and given my personality I'd embrace the booing reputation, but that's just me. I'm a guy that jokes about "my gang tendancies" with my brother and all of my friends just because that's what Raider fans are stereotyped as being.

I also agree with Scott Merryfield that the NFL draft is probably a lot more fun on TV than actually being there, although I'd love to go once just to say I did. Only the NFL could make an extravaganza out of reading off someone's name every few minutes.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't really agree with them moving the site of the draft but so be it. I did laugh at the Philly comment though :)

I think they should have it in L.A every year just to spite them for not having an NFL franchise.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Casey,
I'd also expect Walter Jones of Seattle and Donovan Darius of Jacksonville to get hit with it too.

Plaxico Burress is also certainly a probability

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand its not because they want to but its stems from MSG trying to screw the Jets and the NFL out of their new stadium. I have a feeling last year was the last time we will see the draft at MSG.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I've heard rumors of Alexander going to Philadelphia. Now that would be a scary team that could compete with the AFC.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

A lot of running backs have expressed interest in Miami, Travis Henry, Alexander, James...practically any of the free agent backs. Personally I'm a little bit down on Alexander as a team guy what with his "stabbed in the back" comments after not winning the rushing title.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Not going to watch the pro bowl? You may want to rethink that NOW THAT WE CAN VOTE FOR A PLAY!!!:D

Seriously, if anyone is interested you can vote for a play run by both leagues in the 4th quarter of the pro bowl. I still don't know if I will actually be watching the game in the 4th quarter but here is the link if anyone else wants to vote. Call me young at heart, but I voted for the flea flicker and the reverse. Too bad they didn't have a reverse flea flicker. :)

Come to think of it, Mike Martz may want to try this "fan voting for plays" strategy next season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think I'd rather watch that "History of the Arizona Cardinals" DVD that Casey mentioned over the Pro Bowl. :) I'm not a big fan of all-star games to begin with, but the NFL's seems even worse than the others. The players want the free trip to Hawaii, but most do not want to play in the game. The rules are altered to ban any kind of legitimate defense. It's not very entertaining to me.

I'll settle for watching a movie instead.

The Rams may have won a few more games with that strategy this season. :laugh:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I thought he already did? Oh no wait, Mike Marts is the video game coach as I've dubbed him...he coaches like he's playing a video game most of the time.

I won't be watching the pro bowl either, I'll actually be out with a bunch of friends but if I could vote for a play I'd want it to be on defense...and I'd want it to be a blitz which is against the rules.

I'm not sure but I thought they did something like this last year as well, I remember some kind of gimmick involving a play but don't know for sure.

The only good allstar game is baseball because its played under the same rules as any other baseball game. The Pro Bowl is the worst, the NBA one was alright for the longest time but now has degenerated even further from actual basketball...and I think there was a sport called hockey in this country once and I think they had an allstar game as well, but I haven't been able to substanciate that fact.

This is An interesting bit of news way to try and raise fan loyalty, Tampa Bay. For those that might be wondering, I did think of several Al Davis jokes while reading the article.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm Glazer is slowly becoming the biggest jerk owner in the NFL, and thats saying a WHOLE lot. I remember he threatened to move the team about 5 minutes into his ownership. If I was Manchester United fans I would be worried about his impending take over as well. I like this quote from that article:

" While club seat owners at RJS have avoided litigation, the Bucs have sued ticket-holders. They filed $1-million defamation suits against three who complained publicly about the team and their seats after the move from Houlihan's Stadium to the smaller RJS."

Don't mess with Tampa!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks