What's new

NFL Season 2004-2005 Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
OK, here's my pick that will piss people off: Denver is going to struggle. And may struggle badly. 6-10.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Chris, I doubt that prediction will upset or shock many people around here. I think the consensus has been that the Broncos are vastly overrated this season. I certainly do not see where they improved over last season. The only major upgrade was at cornerback with Champ Bailey. They lost Ian Gold at LB, Portis at RB, McCafferty at WR, Sharpe at TE -- just to name a few off the top of my head. One of their touted "improvements" is Luther Ellis, who did nothing for the past three years in Detroit except take up space on the injury list.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I always laugh when I hear people say that Deion Sanders was one of the best CBs of all time. He was one of the best "cover guys" of all time. That's all. Playing CB is a lot more than just covering one guy. Rod Woodson, as Scott mentioned, is what a truly great CB should be. He was picked as one of the two greatest CBs of all time while he was still playing and was the only active player picked to that team.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Actually, as Scott said this isn't likely to piss off anyone around here, Jed M and myself have been championing this cause for most of the offseason.

Denver and Miami no matter what happens seem to always have people pimping them for the superbowl.

Speaking of Denver and actually former Broncos, does Mark Schlereth even know that there are in fact teams in the NFL that don't play in Denver. This guy amazes me sometimes with how Broncocentric he is...case in point the day Tim Brown was released, he was on ESPN news and they asked him where Brown might end up and he said Denver because in his words, when you get cut from a team you want to hook on with a team that has a chance to play that team that just cut you.

So the interviewer asked him about the possibility of him going to Tampa Bay, and ol' Mark couldn't see any reason why Brown would go to Tampa because of the opportunity Denver would provide to play the Raiders. I wonder if he knew that Brown had been previously coached by Jon Gruden in Oakland and that Tampa had a thing for former Raiders, and that the very network he worked for would be televising a Raiders/Buccaneers game in week 3. I don't think he was because none of those things involve Denver. I'm beginning to wonder if he gets the schedule every year looks at each week until he finds the Bronco game and then moves on to the next week.

I was wondering when Ricky Williams retired if he would either compare this to something that happened in Denver, or better yet explain how the sudden retirement might impact the Broncos.
It seems to me that former Broncos that get in to announcing after they're done playing seem to show more favoritism for Denver than former players from any other team that get in to the booth. Am I crazy here, or is this not true? I'll admit that this is somewhat scewed since Schlereth and Tom Jackson are the only former Broncos I hear on a regular basis, I'll find out about Shannon Sharpe soon enough but if every other phrase out of his mouth relates to the Broncos I think my theory will be proven.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
In a questionable attempt to show that I'm fair minded, here is a Raider fan who is considerably less optimistic than I, regarding this upcoming season.

From the Chris Mortenson chat this week...

Not winning any games? Not even beating the Chargers even once at home? Contrary to what you might think, my head did not explode when I read that question, although I did chuckle at it.

Also from Mort's chat he said that he wonders if Tim Couch will even make the Green Bay roster. My how the mighty have fallen. He also said he'd rather have David Carr over Joey Harrington and I'd probably have to agree with that, although I'd probably take Harrington's line over Carr's. He thinks Tampa will win the NFC south, and that Houston is a real sleeper in the AFC. He likes Gunther being back in K.C. and thinks it will help the defense, and actually so do I because really it can't go anywhere but up, plus as I've said before and keep in mind this is a Raider fan talking...Gunther was not a good head coach but he was a good coordinator before he took the head coaching job so I think it was a wise move to bring him back. Unfortunately, it probably wasn't so wise to bring back all 11 defensive starters from last season, I think he'll help the question is how much.

In some injury news, the Cardinals lost another player for the season along the defensive line this time.

In some trade rumors, it is rumored that Miami might be interested in Quincy Morgan or Andre Davis of Cleveland at receiver or perhaps Browns RB James Jackson. They've also explored the possibility of trading their hold out defensive end who's name I will not obliterate by attempting to spell, but nothing has materialized.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Just talking about Mark Schlereth upsets me. What a homer that guy is. I remember what you are talking about Casey when Tim Brown was released. Its nothing new because the guy can't get it through his stupid jock brain that the league doesn't revolve around Denver and Pat Bowlen, who is 3 face lifts past looking normal. The guy looks like he should be on the Lucky Charms box. Hey Pat, another tip for ya, Joe Namath and Shaft looked cool in fur, you look like a freak. I guess I shouldn't post so late at night anymore. :)

If anyone wants my official prediction, get ready for Shannon Sharpe bringing nothing intelligent to the table and a whole lot of smack talk on KC, Oakland, San Diego and Green Bay(for cutting his obnoxious brother). I hope I am wrong but after a decade of listening to that blowhard never shut up, and yet never hearing one thing of remote intelligence I am not expecting much. I just wish ESPN would hire anybody outside of the AFC West. I would rather have somebody who knows nothing and cares nothing about my team then somebody who can barely veil their love of watching my team lose. Well, I am definitely crazy but you know I'm going to agree with you. Its pretty pathetic. Tom Jackson is at least a good analyst, but he definitely slants towards the Broncos, especially around playoff time. And now I got to face a possible ass whuppin on opening Sunday night in Denver.:angry: At least I will get to see it in HDTV.

I told you Mark Schlereth upsets me.:D Rant done, now excuse me while I go bash my head into the wall until I pass out.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Not a Broncos fan, never have been, though I liked Elway. That said, there is a STRONG bias towards them (and yes, Miami) every offseason since 1997. And frankly, I don't get it. Especially this year. The Phins took it in the pooper this off-season, so talk on them has cooled, but people are still predicting Broncos in the Bowl. Did they watch that Indy game? Champ can't cover Harrison, Stokley, and Wayne at the same time. And they didn't even play the Titans or Pats.

No biggie. As for Schlereth, I never watch his network, though I have heard others complain bitterly about him. So I'll assume the worst :)

Still, if these wonks didn't make outlandish predictions...who would we make fun off?

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The funny thing about Schlereth is, that even as big an NFL fan as I am, I honestly do not remember this guy even playing in the league. Was he actually any good as a player?

I do like Tom Jackson on ESPN, but I'm neither a Bronco fan nor a Bronco hater. He doesn't hide his affection for his former team, but I still think he provides fair and intelligent analysis. Shannon Sharpe, on the other hand, is just a loud mouth idiot -- he'll be a perfect replacement for Deion on CBS, which has the worst collection of on-air "talent" of any network covering the NFL, IMO.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
No real suprise coming from 2 fans of teams in the AFC West that aren't Denver ;)

A sure sign of hell freezing over is me picking the Eagles to win the Superbowl, Jed picking Oakland/Denver and Casey picking Denver/KC. Or the Lions actually winning the Superbowl..j/k on that last part :)

The only guy as an Pre Game show guy that I don't like is Michael Irvin. I thank him for helping be a part of a dynasty but I don't really care for him as a person or a pregame guy.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Shane then hell must have frozen over by now because I actually rooted for Denver over Green Bay in the Superbowl, because I liked Elway as a player.

Trust me, the reason I and probably the reason Jed M champion this cause is not because of our hatred for the Broncos but because its a just cause. I mean seriously, Peter King picks Jake Plummer for MVP...2 years in a row? Denver has made horrible defensive line signings the past 3 offseasons, but who points out that they wiffed on Lionel Dalton, Darrell Gardner, and soon to be Luther Ellis?

See here's the thing, Kansas City is a rival to my team as well, but I don't complain that they're overrated every single offseason, because unlike Denver that's simply not the case, so it is not my Denver bias pointing this out. I hate the Vikings more than either division opponent anyway.

A good point, I don't watch any of the morning pregame shows on Fox and CBS so I don't know about those guys other than what I see at half time.

Shane, on Michael Irvin I've still got a ringing in my ears from him screaming at me for a hundred years on day 1 of the draft. That guy was horrible, and it was a bad sign when I muted my TV and could still hear him...

Scott, you want to know what Schlereth is most famous for in the NFL? Its the number of knee surgeries he's had something like 23 combined.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I think most people here in Denver would be very surprised with a good season; we're pretty much expecting the worst. The media and the league do not have a bias toward Denver, but they absolutely do have one toward Shanahan -- and it's a bias that's totally unfounded. The guy is a solid coach, but he is by no means the "genius" the media makes him out to be, and quite frankly, I think he's an average at best coach during a game, no matter how good he may be the the rest of the time. If Shanahan were ever to leave Denver, which I unfortunately don't foresee anytime soon since Bowlen wants to have his baby, I'm sure the Shanahan "love" would follow him wherever he goes, since the media as a whole wants to have his baby too. Part of me is hoping that we have a terrible year, if it means it would somewhat sour the relationship between owner and coach, because frankly, I would love to have some new blood on the sidelines in Denver.

As for Schlereth, he's definitely pro-Bronco in his commentary, but you at least have to give the guy credit for being part of the 0.8% of ex-pro footballers who can actually say several complete sentences (and thoughts!) in a row.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Shane, but it shows that I am at least capable of removing my silver and black glasses from time to time.

Yeah, way to go Mark. What you say may not have any actual factual or insiteful reasoning behind it and you may ignore blaitantly obvious problems with your own theory but way to express it in a complete sentence.

Actually though, sad as it may be this is actually true, because did anyone have the chance to hear Neil Smith when he was doing a studio show for the Chiefs locally. I ran across some of the quotes, apparently the Kansas City Star did a weekly translation or something and man was that funny.

Now if you'll excuse me, Michael Irvin is still yelling in my ear.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The one thing I appreciate about Irvin is that the more he talks, the less I have to listen to Young. Young is a smart, well-spoken guy, but all he can talk about is the QB position as the center of the universe. He's the Broncos of players :) I do like Jackson, though.

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, Michael Irvin is another ex-player turned commentator that I cannot stand. I'll also add to that list Jerry Glanville, Boomer Esiason and Phil Sims. Boomer and Sims may be nice guys, but they are not good announcers.

Speaking of announcers that need to get off the air, it saddens me to see Pat Summerall still being put on the air. He was once one of the best, but his alcohol and health problems have taken their toll. ESPN is really doing a disservice to Pat by having him fill in for Mike Patrick this preseason. It's embarrassing for me to listen to him stumble through a telecast. Summerall was also terrible last year on Fox -- I couldn't believe it was the same person I had enjoyed for all those years as CBS and Fox's #1 announcer.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Nice quote...I like!

I didn't mention this, but as others have said, I listen to Tom Jackson a lot and read his espn.com columns. I wish he'd tone down the Bronco love, but unlike Schlereth I think that Jackson is at least aware of the fact that the other teams in the league are there to do more than simply play the Broncos.

Jerry Glanville was terrible in the booth, he was better in the studio if only because you no longer had to listen to him for 3 hours in the booth.

I agree with Scott on Summerall, I thought he did ok in what I heard of him in the first preseason game, but that was only for a few minutes, I got to hear more of him Monday and he made me want to change the channel. Having said that, it is still somewhat odd for me to turn on the TV for the thanksgiving NFC game and not hear he and Madden talking about the turducken.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I'm jumping in late as usual, but I have to make a few comments...

Scott, Schlereth played on three Super Bowl champions, two in Denver and one in Washington. He played over ten years in the league and had something like 30+ surgeries on various parts of his body. IMO, he's a borderline Hall of Famer.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Only way he gets into the Hall is if he buys a ticket.

A good player yes but certainly nothing spectacular enough to be considered for the Hall.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

What I find interesting is that a lot of people discredit the career of Terrell Davis in his HOF aspirations because they say that much of what Davis did was a result of the guys blocking in front of him. But then when you mention the greatness of Gary Zimmerman, Tom Nalen, and to a lesser extent, Schlereth, you get a similar backlash...that they were just good, not great...not Hall worthy.

Well, somebody had to be doing something right if the Broncos had 4 different thousand yard rushers in a 4 year span (including one 2,000 yard season) and have rushed for more yards than any other NFL team since 1997.

Or do we pin the credit for that on the shoulders of John Elway as well?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks