What's new

NFL Season 2004-2005 Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It's fun watching some of the preseason games (well, a few drives here and there) on NFL Network. My DirecTV finally showed up, so I get to enjoy this network, and get ready for the ticket.

4 weeks until real football. Thanks for the new thread.

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ron Dayne's good showing last night will only encourage Coughlan to play him more, which will be a big mistake. Dayne is a terrible running back -- he's slow to the hole, and never breaks a tackle. The guy was way overrated coming out of college -- many of those "record-breaking" yards were gained in the 2nd halves of blowout games against Wisconsin's traditional cupcake opponents. Heck, anyone can get 100 yards playing against a girls reform school in the Badgers pathetic pre-conference schedule. :) He only had one career 100 yard rushing game vs. the Big Ten's best teams -- Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State.

The Giants would be much better off playing Tiki Barber and leaving Dayne in street clothes, just like last season.

I'm looking forward to watching some of the Lions preseason opener tonight. Unfortunately, it looks like Kevin Jones will not play, so we'll get a good look at Artose Pinner at RB.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to that Detroit game also Scott but it's because they're playing the Steelers. :D I can't wait to see Big Ben and the "new" Steelers D with LeBeau back as defensive coordinator.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

This should be the season to not only come to a conclusion about Dayne, but also come to a conclusion about Tiki. I'm tired of the same old refrain about Tiki being a good running back if he could only hold onto the football.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Tiki fumbles a lot, which I'm sure the coaching staff won't like, although every year it seems we have a story like this one about Dayne.

Someone puts up good numbers in the preseason and is thought to either be on the verge of breaking through, making a comeback after years of struggling or some such thing. They get all the hype, make the regular season roster and do absolutely nothing because...among all the hype the fact that they did all of those things against guys that were training camp fillers, or special teamers is somehow forgotten until they play the first teamers and go back to struggling again.

Hmmm, the 49ers only managed a couple of field goals in the first half against Oakland against what I assume is the first team defense, but I'm not sure that its a good or a bad sign, they were playing the 9ers afterall.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well, the Lions first team offense looked nice last night. Especially Harrington to Rogers. I hope that is a look at things to come. The pass rush from the firt team looked pathetic and they couldn't stop the run. That is the part of the team that worries me.

Any debate over who should be the starting quarterback for the Lions must end now. You may or may not know that half the people of the city think Mike McMahon should start over Joey. Well, last night showed the progress for both quarterbacks, and Mike looked like a deer in headlights, while Joey looked more like the seasoned veteran.

Already can't wait til next week.

Brandon

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Well, perhaps I'd agree with that half if they thought he should start over Joey Tribbiani or something, but Harrington has to be the guy this season.

Having said that, if he doesn't make a leap forward this season, then it might be time to start worrying about him as a long term player.

The Raiders pulled it out 33-30 last night, but I only really watch what happens in the first half of the first preseason game, the fact that San Francisco ran up 17 points in the final quarter and 27 in the second half overall doesn't really worry me. If it were the main defensive personel in there, and they were doing it then I'd be panicing.

Actually, last preseason I had a hint that something bad might happen to the Raiders during the year, based on the way their first team offense looked, I don't think the first team scored a touchdown that whole preseason. So while the preseason may not matter, sometimes you can get some encouraging signs or discouraging signs out of what you see from your first teams.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Joey still gets somewhat of a free pass this year too in my book. Look at what tools he has had to work with the last year. Now that doesn't excuse some of his play, but still, one of national guys from ESPN said there were always playing two deep on Joey, with double coverage all over the field because of the lack of running game. So now the Lions have this great off season and now everyone is like, this is Joeys year, he has these weapons, if he doesn't do it now he never will. Well all of these weapons have a combined 5 games expierence between Rogers, Williams and Jones. FIVE. It will take some time. Although, I think I would take a chance on Joey late in the fantasy draft.

Oh yeah, Mike McMahon has NEVER in his career completed %50 of his passes.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Except for a rookie mistake(looking down a reciever in the red zone), Henson(for the Cowboys) looked GREAT. They still got beat but it's preseason still.

What I have seen of the preseason games, it makes me think that it will be a battle of "Who gets to play the Patriots in the Super Bowl". They look like a machine.

Right now I'm watching the games to see who looks good enough for me to draft. I'm looking for sleeper type picks(like Chris Brown of the Titans looks good)..

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Not saying this will happen to New England, but I have seen teams go undefeated in the preseason and look like world conquerers and not even make the playoffs, the Vikings have done this a few times.

Well, I've now read about that Raiders game, and 21 penalties for 215 yards is definitely not cool!

Same old Raiders I guess...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Shane, don't count on Brown being a sleeper. I've been through one draft already and picked him up in the 5th round as my 3rd RB (I also have Ahman Green and Edge, who both went later than expected because we have a salary cap in this league). He's been going in the 4th or 5th round of most mock drafts that I've seen, and he's moving up.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Scott is right, Harrington doesn't need to become Joe Montana this year, but with those position upgrades experienced or not, he needs to show something.

Speaking of backup QB's, it sure didn't take the Bay Area media long to start with the Kerry Collins outplays Rich Gannon in the preseason so lets call for him to start card.

You know the funny thing is though that Collins only threw for a few more yards than Gannon, but the key difference that caused all of this to be written yesterday was a 34 yard TD pass from Collins to Doug Gabriel. Gannon didn't throw any TD passes.

There is a QB contraversy in Oakland, but only because the media wants there to be one. Neither Gannon or Collins or coach Turner seem to want to play the game, but that hasn't stopped the bay area sports writers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Casey, wearing my fantasy football hat, I just hope that the Raiders QB situation gets worked out soon. Personally, I will be avoiding that messy situation entirely in my drafts. Interestingly, in the league where we are doing a drawn-out slow draft, neither QB has been taken through 12 rounds.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I don't do the fantacy thing but what you said doesn't really surprise me.

Not that these guys are comperable talent wise, but in some ways its like Montana and Young...and who gets to start. I believe that Gannon will either start or be cut he will not be the backup. As of everything I've heard, Gannon is the starter everytime Turner is asked about it. Although 2 days before Tim Brown was cut he said that Brown's role wouldn't be reduced, well it doesn't get more reduced than unemployed. Its funny though speaking of Brown, that apparently that was not Al Davis' call entirely. That's based on some comments Brown made towards the organization after signing with Tampa Bay and some comments Davis himself made.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
We have a winner. New England signed first round pick Ben Watson today, so that means the winner of the award for having the last first round draft choice to sign goes to the San Diego Chargers and their QB of the way way way off in the future Philip Rivers.

San Diego fought hard for this award, virtually locking it up with their 6 superbowls/6 probowls insentive clauses.

Congradulations San Diego and may you be able to pull this off again next year when you have the number 1 pick.

I don't know, but is Rivers the last draft choice period to sign or is there still like a second round hold out or something somewhere else in the league.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Here's another headline I just happened to catch.

The Baltimore Sun is reporting that Deion Sanders might consider coming out of retirement to be the 5th defensive back for the Baltimore Ravens.

Why do I have a hard time believing that Deion would want to come back as a team's nickle corner?

Then again...he's now free on Sunday.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's one optimistic Chargers fan, Casey! :laugh:

Even in this parity era of the NFL, there are a few teams that can be pretty much counted out each year before the season even starts. This year's list includes San Diego, San Fran and Miami. The next level, IMO, is the "everything has to work out perfectly for them to contend". That list would include teams like Detroit, Chicago, Arizona, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc. In the Cardinals case, the ceiling is already caving in with all their training camp injuries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks