What's new

NFL Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I gotta say that, as a (former) New Englander, I really want the Pats to do well this year, the only problem is that with every other New England team, we seem to collapse under the clutch situations.

1986 Superbowl vs Bears

1996 (or 1997) Superbowl vs. Green Bay

1986 World Series (ugh) vs. the Mets.

My teams just don't have the umph. Where oh where are my fantastic five from ages gone by (the Celtics - Bird, McHale, Parrish, Ainge, and DJ...ahhhh the memories)

That said....GO PATS! Cut Drew from the team!

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
Go Pats!

Go Bears!

I'd love to see these two in the Super Bowl! Now only if the Titans were in the playoffs, life would be good.
I'd love to see that too, and then have a nice little repeat of the 85 super bowl, where the Bears knocked the Pats out in the first quarter, and then stomped on them for three more. If the Rams had lost yesterday, and had to go to Chicago to play, in the cold and snow, I think the Bears could have gone all the way, but I think the bears are dead on the Rams turf.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
My favorite team is the Raiders but they certainly are not playing well enough to make any noise in the playoffs. They will probably lose in the first round.

As far as the others playoff games.

Green Bay over the SF.

Garcia has not proven that he can win an important game. See Rams/SF second game this year.

Eagles over TB.

Given the Bucs history of cold weather games I'll go with Philly.

As soon as the other games are decided I'll edit the picks in.

As far as the Superbowl, looking at the teams in the playoffs I'll go with Rams/Pats.

The only knock I really have on the Steelers is Cordell. I could not believe that people were actually talking MVP for this guy. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! The best thing you can say about him is that he did cut down a little on his mistakes so he didn’t hurt them as much this year. This guy has never shown that he can win an important game and if the Pats stop the run Pitt will melt down with Cordell at the helm.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Must not be a lot of Chicago HTFers out there ? Not much mention of the Bears who quietly keep winning.

Anyway, I am a Raiders fan, and for 3/4 of the season they looked like Superbowl contenders. I predict they will win the wild card game only to drop the next game on the road.

I'd say Pats - Steelers AFC Championship game.

In the NFC, of course the Rams will be there, the only question is who will be on the other side of the field ? I am going to go out on a limb (sort of) and say it will be a 49ers - Rams NFC championship game. Although, a Bucs - Rams game would be awesome.

01/07/02 Superbowl prediction: Rams - Steelers (no surprise there, they both have been playing consistently top football for most of the season)

My prayer for the Superbowl: Rams v. Raiders, or Rams vs. anyone but the Steelers.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
My favorite team is the Raiders and they look to be PEE (Poised for an Early Exit). I've said it before and I'll say it again, they'll never win a Super Bowl with Rich Gannon at QB.

I'll be back with actual predictions after the field is set.

Rob

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
Twice I've cheered the Bears on to world championships. Would love to do it again. It ain't easy being a Bear fan, but it ain't lonely either.

Go Bears.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I'll be rooting for the Rams from the NFC and the Steelers in the AFC.
I am now actively rooting against the Eagles since they pulled McNabb after two SNAPS and cost me a FFL Super Bowl win.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I really want the Pack to get to the NFC championship against the Rams, but the Rams are too good, especially on turf. I predict Rams versus Steelers for Superbowl.

As long as da Bears lose! (I dont think the Packers are going to be playing them. Tampa would have to beat the Eagles for a GB/Bears game)

Matt

DennisZ

Agent
I'm orginally from Philly not living near Atlanta, GA.

The team here SUCKS.

But as for the EAGLES GO GO GO all the way. Just like

Scoot W. said.

Denny

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Another Raider fan dreading an early exit. Gannon and Brown aren't getting any younger, either...

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Holy Crap another Seahawks fan on HTF. That's right Go Seahawks. I seriously think the Vikings are going to pull a major upset tommorrow on Monday Night Football.
With Spurgeon Wynn at quarterback? I feel sorry for Seahawk fans needing this game - it ain't gonna happen. That said even Minnesota's suspect defense could stop Baltimore's pathetic offense. Prediction?

Baltimore - 3 Minnesota - 0

Alex-C

Screenwriter
What would be some great post season matchups ?

I already posted in this thread that a Rams - Bucs rematch would be great. I'd like to see that again. Bucs being my favorite underdog cuz I played against John Lynch in pop warner :b

also, a Green Bay - Chicago matchup would be worth watching as well, just for the sake of tradition and weather, could there be anything better than a late January football game in Chicago ?

hmmm....I would like to see the Raiders knock the snot out of the Ravens because that fat-ass Siragusa belly flopped on Rich "even though I overthrew a wide open tight end on 3rd down which would have all but sealed our victory against the Jets, but discipline is our real problem" Gannon last year in the AFC championship game.

Of course, we are already getting a classic 49er-Packer matchup to re-kindle that recent rivalry, just so long as the 49ers dont spot the Pack 21 points like they did circa 1996 (?) Anyone remember that one ?

One thing I wouldnt bet on this year is a wild card team going all the way to the big game like the Ravens did last year. I just dont see anyone surpassing the Rams/Bears/Steelers, although I do agree with the earlier post about Kordell in a big game. Wasnt he awful last year and/or the year before ??? Steeler fans - what gives ? Was their schedule easy this year or something ?

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Wasnt he awful last year and/or the year before ??? Steeler fans - what gives ? Was their schedule easy this year or something ?
The last time that Kordell was in a big playoff game was the 1997 AFC Championship against the Elway-led Denver Broncos. Stewart had a break down that day and was one of the primary reasons that the Steelers lost to the eventual Super Bowl Champs (Pittsburgh had a better team that year, just not that day).

Just about every NFL fan knows of the horrible years Stewart had subsequently in 1998, 1999 and 2000. This is a different Kordell Stewart than we have ever seen. He has matured, gained confidence and has shown signs of being a leader.

Ever since the last half of the season in 2000, Kordell has throwing accurately and with confidence. He's now playing in an offense that caters to his strengths. I doubt that he will break down this year like he did in 1997, but you never know.

As to the schedule that Pittsburgh played this year: I don't buy that there are "easy" schedules in the NFL. These guys are the best of the best and the weak-schedule argument is something better suited for the college ranks of the game. Having said that, you can look back with 20/20 hindsight and say that Pittsburgh had an easy schedule, but at the times they played their opponents, they didn't have quite the subpar record that they (the opponents) do now.

I feel very confident that all areas of the Steelers are strong except for one--special teams. The Steelers have depth at just about every position. Kris Brown has got to get his s*** together because a game could come down to his field goal attempt. I'm somewhat confident that he can do it, but I have my doubts. Hopefully, the Steelers' offense will hitting on all cylinders so that they don't need to rely solely on Brown.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Ouch that was painful. I just seriously tried to have faith because the Seahawks needed to be in the playoffs. As I told my friend shortly after the Vikings punted

heavyfoshort: the abc s***head that gave dennis miller a job should be shot

heavyfoshort: likewise the idiot who let hasslecrap start the whole year should be stricken of his coaching job o wait we know who that is

Lttledrummerboy3: seriously

heavyfoshort: dennis miller makes me wish i didnt care about football so i wouldnt have to listen to anything that he said

It just makes me think what would have been if Dilfer had started the whole year. We'd be in the playoffs right now. For sure.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ever since the last half of the season in 2000, Kordell has throwing accurately and with confidence. He's now playing in an offense that caters to his strengths.
Ya right, "run the ball, run the ball, run the ball and for god sake don't let Kordell throw.":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Like I said if the Pats or who ever plays the Steelers stop the run and Kordell has to be the difference, "game over man".

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I am now actively rooting against the Eagles since they pulled McNabb after two SNAPS and cost me a FFL Super Bowl win.
Yikes! My advice would be to end your FF season a little sooner. My friends and I learned the hard way that Week 17 is rarely a good week for players on the stronger teams.

Why?

Ask Donovan McNabb!

Most superstars who are headed to the playoffs have a good shot of not even playing in Week 17! Cut one regular season game off of your FF schedule, and move your playoffs up one week.

Good luck next year, and don't give up on McNabb just yet!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Ya right, "run the ball, run the ball, run the ball and for god sake don't let Kordell throw
Patrick, Kordell had 3100 yards passing. Plaxico Burress and Hines Ward are the first tandem of Steelers receivers to both have 1000 yards receiving or more in the same season.

Yes, the Steelers are primarily a running team. They have always been--even in the days when Neil O'Donnell was QB. But for you to say "don't let Kordell throw" is off base. He has been throwing and throwing well.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I love that very creative sig, Scott!
Thanks, Jeff! I was reading The Hobbit (yes, for the first time and please don't smack me) and I came across that passage. It made me smile, and I thought it would tie in perfectly with my current state of mind:

Currently enamored with all things Tolkien + Pride, love and devotion for my Eagles = Somewhat clever sig!

Go Eagles.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
No Niner fans? Man did they get the short end of the stick. 12-4 and have to play a wildcard game in Green Bay. If they were in the far inferior AFC they'd be the 2nd seed. Oh well, can't complain too much, I'm pretty stoked they made it at all. They made an incredibly quick turn around. Next year when their D shows up to play for the entire season, man you better look out.

They're gonna have a tough go of it in Green Bay and it's gonna take some kind of miracle to pull off a win there. If they were at home, I think they'd definately have the advantage.

Elsewhere in the playoffs, I don't really care who wins what. I'd like to see the Raiders win for a friend of mine. And I'd like to see anybody win the Superbowl, except for the Packers or the Rams, especially the Rams. If the Niners aren't there, I'd like to see the Bears. I don't care who's in it for the AFC. But I think the Steelers are the only ones who have a chance against the top 4 teams in the NFC.

I really want the Niners to whip it up on the Raiders in the Superbowl, but that's a long shot at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks