What's new

NFL Hall of Fame candidates 2003 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The complete list of nominees is below:

(Who's your lock for induction come next year in Canton?)

QUARTERBACKS: Ken Anderson, John Elway, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Ken Stabler.

RUNNING BACKS: Roger Craig, Barry Sanders, Herschel Walker.

WIDE RECEIVERS: Cliff Branch, Henry Ellard, Art Monk, Drew Pearson, Sterling Sharpe, Wesley Walker.

TIGHT END: Todd Christensen.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN: Ray Donaldson, Kent Hull, Rich Saul, Jeff Van Note.

GUARDS: Russ Grimm, Chris Hinton, Bob Kuenchenberg.

TACKLES: Leon Gray, Joe Jacoby, Mike Kenn, Rayfield Wright, Gary Zimmerman.

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN: Fred Dean, Richard Dent, Carl Eller, Mark Gastineau, L.C. Greenwood, Claude Humphrey, Ed ``Too Tall'' Jones, Joe Klecko, Jim Marshall, Harvey Martin.

LINEBACKERS: Matt Blair, Harry Carson, Randy Gradishar, Rickey Jackson, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Chris Spielman, Darryl Talley, Andre Tippett.

DEFENSIVE BACKS: Cliff Harris, Lester Hayes, Albert Lewis, Ken Riley, Donnie Shell, Mike Wagner, Roger Wehrli.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Elbert Shelley, Steve Tasker.

PUNTER/KICKER: Ray Guy, Nick Lowery.

COACHES: Don Coryell, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox.

CONTRIBUTORS: Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Art McNally, Art Modell, Paul Tagliabue, Ralph Wilson, Jr., Ron Wolf, George Young.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Elway is THE lock.

No doubt.

I also fully expect Barry to be a pick.

So many great and memorable names. Almost all of them deserve to be in Canton (As a Cowboys fan...Art Monk, anyone???).

But Elway is a Lead Pipe LOCK. With Sanders right behind.

After that, I have no clue???

Take care,
Chuck

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Elway has to be the Lock. There are some nice names on the list, but IMO, no one is close to caliber of player Elway was and what he was able to accomplish. All-time winingest QB, 2nd in yards only to Marino, B2B SuperBowl wins, and hey, there has to be something said for a guy who spends his entire lengthy career in one city in this world of free agency.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
it pains me to say it, not only because of what he did to my hometown browns but also because of his attitude towards being drafted by the colts, john elway probably barely edges out barry sanders for the "lock pick"...he is definitely a hall of famer

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
In terms of preference, I'd take Barry. No one like him, before or after. I think he's in Elway's league, without a doubt. He never had a QB Terrell Davis to help him out (unless you count Andre Ware, Erik Kramer, or Scott Mitchell :rolleyes:). He also left the league with a bit of bad blood...hence his non-lock status. That said, I'll be very surprised if he is not chosen alongside Elway for Canton.

Elway is a poster boy for the NFL, and it's well-earned.

I'd still rather watch Barry run the ball...

Take care,
Chuck

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
My picks:
QUARTERBACKS: John Elway
RUNNING BACKS: Barry Sanders
WIDE RECEIVERS: Art Monk
DEFENSIVE LINEMEN: Carl Eller, Jim Marshall, Harvey Martin
DEFENSIVE BACKS: Lester Hayes, Roger Wehrli
PUNTER/KICKER: Ray Guy (Probably won't happen, but should.)
COACHES: Don Coryell, Chuck Knox
CONTRIBUTORS: Ron Wolf, George Young

As for the "lock", I would take Barry over Elway on my team, anytime. There are alot of quarterbacks close to Elway or better. There are maybe 3 running backs near Barry.

QB: Montana, Bradshaw, Starr, Marino, Graham, Unitas, Baugh, Staubach, Tarkenton, Kelly, Young, Luckman. Hell, even two active guys (Manning and Favre) should end up eclipsing Elway rather handily.

RB: Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton. (Some folks will put Smith in that list, I won't.)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Is there a limit and/or minimum (e.g. 4) of inductees per year?

Elway and Sanders are the only locks, unless people are still expecting Sanders to come out of retirement.

Other than them, maybe Guy and Monk, or Hayes and Dent, maybe Zimmerman.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Sanders and Elway are the locks. Everybody else is a maybe at this point.

I’d like to see Ray Guy included—there really has never been a punter like him.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Three to six members will be inducted. You can read about it here

Locks
  • Elway
  • Sanders

Maybe
  • Art Monk
  • Lester Hayes
  • Ray Guy
  • Clay Matthews

- Walter.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Another vote for Ray Guy. Art Monk should be picked as well.

Elway, obviously will be the star attraction.

Sanders? I suppose but where the heck has he been? Is he a recluse or something?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If Herschel Walker doesn't make it this year, then he will next year, or the next. The guys work ethic alone could probably get him in.

Elway and Sanders though I assume should already make plans to do that trip.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sanders? I suppose but where the heck has he been? Is he a recluse or something?
I did not know that making public appearances was a requirement for Hall of Fame consideration. ;) Barry's never been one to seek public exposure, even when he was playing. The big question is whether he will show up at the induction ceremony next year. He did not show up this year for his induction to the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame.

Elway and Sanders are locks. There are some other fine candidates (Art Monk, Ray Guy, Harvey Martin, etc.) on the list, but none of them are locks to get in this year.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Herschel deserves to be in the HOF just for being the reason the Cowboys built their dynasty on :)

Thank you Vikings!!

My picks:

Elway for sure
Sanders
Drew Pearson
Richard Dent
Ed Too Tall Jones
Ray Guy

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Besides Elway and Sanders, being a Giants fan I'd love to see Simms and Carson be inducted but I don't think that will happen this year.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Being a Raiders fan, I think Ray Guy, Lester Hayes and Ken Stabler should get in. Cliff Branch, Jim Plunkett and Todd Christensen were great players, but not Hall of Fame type players. Locks to me in order are 1) Barry Sanders 2) John Elway. Art Monk should be a lock. He was a consistent receiver year in, year out, like Tim Brown currently is. Being a Raiders and Browns fan, I absolutely can not stand Elway. Barry Sanders had the best and quickest moves ever.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
He did not show up this year for his induction to the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame.
He even assured the MHOF that morning that he would be there, then sent his wife instead.

As a bitter lions fan, I feel that Barry's sudden retirement the day before training camp, at the very least has contributed to the state of the lions today. I saw Barry run in person 3 different times, including torching the Bears on Monday night. He was truly a blessing the the sport, but, I just can't get out the bitterness I have toward him and how he handled things.

Brandon

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Brandon,
I understand that. Like LT and his off-field troubles, it doesn't really matter in HoF consideration. What matters was what he was on the field. Hell, if I had purchased Lions season tickets for the 99-00 season, I would have immolated myself. I wish he had handled that differently, but it was his choice, his job.

I will add that I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan. Ups and downs with them. I mention that to put the following in perspective.

The saddest day of my life as a football fan was the day Barry Sanders retired from the game. Bar none. Football is a team sport. But Sanders, as a player, was so special that it was literally thrilling to just watch him run. I miss it to this day. ESPN Primetime isn't the same. Thanksgiving isn't the same.

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As a bitter lions fan, I feel that Barry's sudden retirement the day before training camp, at the very least has contributed to the state of the lions today.
Another way to look at it is that the sorry state of the Lions was the cause of Sanders leaving. While nobody except Barry truly knows why he retired (and he's not talking), I'm sure he got tired of watching how ineptly the team was managed every season. Bobby Ross being in charge was probably the final straw. It's a shame, because Barry was so fun to watch (even if the rest of the team wasn't).

If Mariucci was the coach at the time, Barry may not have retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks