NFL Football Changes Networks in 2006

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Chris, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

As announced by ESPN Radio..

ESPN will become the home of Monday Night Football in 2006.
    The Sunday Night NFL Game will move to NBC.

ABC, for the first time, will host no NFL game. NBC will receive the 2009 & 2012 NFL Superbowl as part of the 1.1B deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2040130

2. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Could this be the end of Arena Football coverage on NBC? (Yeah, I'm a fan).

3. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Wow. Not looking forward to NFL on NBC again.

I'm gonna miss the traditional Monday Night, AND Sunday night after watching Berman and Jackson.

I hope they get a new team...Al should hang it up and Madden should be forgotten. And, I refuse to believe they'll allow Theissman on Monday night.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Bob Costas, however, has to be leaping for joy.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The man has no hops. He probably paid someone to leap for him.

6. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I have a feeling Costas would much rather have Baseball on NBC.

7. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Why would it be the end of the AFL on NBC? NBC only has 1 NFL game a week on Thursday night. AFL is on the weekends

capt

8. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

What find intriguing about this new deal is the fact the NFL is giving NBC the ability to do flexible programming to find the best matchup possible per week.

If that is the case, NBC could get a LOT of great games on Sunday nights, and that could drastically alter the viewership patterns on the high-watched night of TV each week. Given that the Sunday night game will now be on an over-air network, this could drastically alter the ratings of ABC, CBS, Fox, WB and UPN, especially in the Eastern and Central time zones, during the NFL season. I can even foresee both HBO and Showtime changing some of their original programming premieres to other nights until the NFL season is over.

All in my humble opinion, of course. [​IMG]

9. Steven Wesley

Steve
    NBC has the Sunday night rights. It's not like they can't afford to show the AFL. But when you have a flagship franchise like the NFL, why bother with a low-rated sport like Arena Football, especially when bullriding, golf, and poker get higher ratings.

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Because they might actually make money off of the AFL. A few months ago, I read an article on NBC's sports programming. Very interesting. While certianly the sports NBC shows aren't the most popular, they also don't cost that much to show, since most of the major pro sports ask for a ton of money. It seems to have worked well for NBC.

My understanding is that none of the networks made money on the last NFL deal. It is primarily a prestege thing now, which is why there was such a shakeup. ABC lost big money on MNF. (I wonder if the Sunday Night package is going to be more valuable than the Monday Night one, with flex scheduling more likely to benefit the Sunday game..)

I can't see them getting rid of AFL just because they got one NFL game a week. AFL runs when the NFL does not.

Jason

11. Steven Wesley

Steve
    NBC is making money on the AFL, no doubt about that. There were no rights fees in the deal... basically the AFL and NBC split the profite pulled from advertising; NBC also getting some money from expansion teams. It's a money-maker, just not a great money-maker right now. And since NBC does have to put production into these things, I'm just saying that they might decide that something else could make them just as much money with less investment.

That said, if NBC keeps the AFL, then you might actually see AFL ratings increase, given the marketing platform you now would have with NFL games. Heavy promotion leading up to the end of the NFL season, which is the start of AFL season, could really pay off.

Personally, I hope we see the AFL stay on NBC, but things just got a whole lot more interesting with the NFL deal. (Don't even get me started on what may play out if NFL Europe is killed off! [​IMG] )

- Steve

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

True, but don't forget who owns ESPN.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I think so and I would be more incline to watch the Sunday night game with an 8:10 kickoff and a game with some juice than to watch a Monday night game with a 8:40 kickoff and possibly no juice due to a terrible team matchup.

Crawdaddy

14. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Most importantly, NBC will broadcast in HDTV [​IMG]

15. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Seeing how both ESPN and ABC were broadcasting their games in HD, this is actually a moot point...unless there was some question as to whether NBC would be broadcasting the games in HD. If so, then yeah, it's great news that they are committing to HD.

Bruce

16. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Maybe there was nothing to worry about, but yes, that was my concern. NFL football was the deal maker when I first bought my HD display, and I watched them (ABC in particular) go backwards for a couple of years, and I still tend to be a little skeptical.

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Not at all a challange Jim, but how did they go back over the last two years in terms of HD, NFL coverage?

I did not watch every game they telecast, but I don't recall watching ones in SD.

18. Bren_Chris

Bren_Chris Stunt Coordinator

Another question is: how will the XFL fit into all of this when it comes back from hiatus?
    [​IMG]

19. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Not in these past two years, but I bought my HD display the summer after the first season of MNF in HD. ABC proceeded to drop the HD broadcast for the next couple of seasons before restarting.