What's new

NFL Films - Super Bowl Collections - Super Bowl I-X (2000) (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Saw this at amazon.com, it's a five disc set with a one-hour look at each of the first ten Super Bowls. Has anyone purchased this disc or seen any reviews?

The only thing I've seen on this is from today's New York Post:

TV shows and music videos have proven far more popular on DVD than they ever did on video. And now it's time for sports to shine, led off by "Super Bowl I-X" ($64.92; Warner Bros.), a five-disc set devoting one hour to each of the first 10 Super Bowls. You get Joe Namath's "guarantee" of victory in Super Bowl III, Jim O'Brien's last second field goal for the Colts and much more.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Same here Richard. I'm sure it would be a rights nightmare to get the original telecasts but I'm not too interested in these highlights discs. Especially at 65 bucks.

DanHaya

Second Unit
While I would be first in line to buy DVDs of the actual telecasts, I doubt that we will ever see them. The NFL views their product as "live entertainment" and doesn't believe in reairing old games. Plus, they have such a vested interest in NFL Films that they feel like it would compromise the work that Steve Sabol and his staff do.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
I believe with technology today we can get both the NFL Films version amd the original telecast in one set/disc. disc

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Put me down as another that would buy the original telecasts. Wouldn't that be great?

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I think we have two perspectives here:

1) The original telecasts. If memory serves me the original telecast of SB I does not exist. Even if the telecasts do exist these would be from old videotape masters. If these ever became available, they will, no doubt, be very entertaining.

2) NFL Films. Not telecasts, not intended to be telecasts, but rather a documentary process that is presevered on film. These documentaries tell a story.

To me to see pristine NFL Films in glorious color is the way to go. NFL Films have shots, angles, that no TV network could ever hope to capture. I have vivid memories of watching "This Week In The NFL". The games, the music, the photography, and the voice of John Fascinda played no small roll in making me the NFL fan I am today.

Long live NFL Films.

Blu

Screenwriter
Highlights schmilights, I want the games!
Not only that but I want the full games of really really good or unique games like the Fog Bowl or the Atlanta-Minnesota game that was a high scoring affair, etc.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
The Super Bowl DVD from the recent Tampa/Oakland SB has the entire game with the commercials and between snap stuff edited out....Has drive breaks and quarter/half breaks....(mainly just fades with the score)......

Only costed around 20 bucks but looks like this will be a way to capture the future Super Bowls for those without the ability to record on a HD DVR or DVD Recorder...

Helps if you are a fan of the team that wins though as there is a NFL Films recap of each regular season and postseason game, as well as pre and post Super Bowl matchup discussion.....

Joe Woj

Agent
Bills - Oilers Comeback Game

SuperBowl 32
SuperBowl 36

Those are all games I'd pay to see for sure.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I have recorded every Super Bowl on VHS since SB 25 because I realized that the NFL will never release the actual telecasts on VHS or DVD. They're nice to go back and watch now and again.

As for the Super Bowl XXXVII DVD, the telecast of the game does not contain the ABC commentary or graphics. The audio comes from the Bucs, Raiders and NFL radio broadcasts. It's ok, but I'd rather watch the tape I recorded myself.
The DVD does contain a lot of other nice goodies, though. It's worth the $20 if you are a fan of either team (as I am...huge Bucs fan who was at SB 37).

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The NFL will never release the original telecasts of any games on DVD. Notice that they won't even permit rebroadcasts on ESPN Classic.

It's an asinine policy, and all it has done is make people like me find collectors who recorded the games off-air to begin with going back to the late 70s and finding them willing to trade.

If you look hard enough, you will find the Super Bowl III telecast which is fascinating to see. Tapes of this NBC broadcast didn't surface until 1986 when copies were found in ASCAP's vaults (they had taped to monitor halftime music royalty).

DanHaya

Second Unit
I agree, Eric. The worst part is that it encourages bootleggers to sell copies on the secondary market (which I do not endorse, of course). You would think that the NFL would realize the earnings potential for DVDs of classic games...even if they have to split the profits with the networks, they'd all still make a mint! And they would eliminate the secondary (and illegal) market in the process!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks