NFL Fever 2003 is out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin Watts III, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Just went to my local Wally World, & what did I see?
    NFL Fever 2003!
    I didn't pick it up,though, because I'm looking for Blood Omen 2...they were sold out @ $13.00 [​IMG]
    Oh well...
    Calvin

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

They also have Aggressive Inline for $38 (at least mine did).
    I've played Fever 2003 for 2 or 3 hours so far, and so far, I think I prefer 2002. [​IMG] It seems like the computer controlled characters got dumber. This is just a first impression, so I could be way off base...
    -Dave

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

It's getting average or below reviews from the press. There are still very obvious errors in the AI; the passing game can be much too easy, for example.

4. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

Basic problem with fever, is that it still remains a big play football game. The AI is all over the map. Some plays your receivers are covered like a blanket, other plays you'll find receivers wide open with no defensive coverage in sight. Same thing with the pass rush. Some plays you're sacked before you can even get back in the pocket to set up. Other plays you can set up a barbecue and grill hamburgers and still no defensive pressure.

The Training drill section stinks, and is a leftover from last year. Commentary is dull, better than last year, but far too many phrases repeat during the course of a game. There doesn't seem to be enough variety in the tackling animations, with the same ones popping up over and over again. Collision detection seems to be dodgy, where you're going, how in the hell did I get hit on that play. Some of the animations are goofy. DB's jumping in the air and swatting down a pass, like they were spiking a volleyball.

I don't care much for fever, perhaps it's an acquired taste. But, I don't find much in this game to recommend it over the likes of Madden or the NFL2k series.

5. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

So far I've been pretty dissapointed with fever, I think you nailed it on the head with the comment about big play football. It seems all the scores I've made have been 40+ yards. Which gets lame. It also sucks to have the computer complete pass after pass because your defense even in high cover defenses can't cover a WR to save their lives. I play the dolphins and we have some of the best cover guys in the league. You're going to tell me that the lions are going to pass all over me?

Mike

6. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

There are other problems worth mentioning. I unlocked the 64 Browns, ran my first offensive set looking for no. 32, none other than the great Jim Brown. I wound up with no. 33 and 49 in the backfield. The ratings for the teams don't vary much and playing one team is much like playing any other. It's discouraging when you play a team like the Steelers with a big back like Jerome Bettis, and he's constantly getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage, and setting reeling backward with a tackle time after time. The game just isn't any fun, plain and simple.

Also, they've added an irritating amount of momentum to the play, so that you feel like you're controlling a drunken sailor leaving a bar, instead of a finely tuned running back. I find the graphics cartoony and the general level of animations to be uninspired. And I really hate this kick meter. First you aim the kick, then you press for distance. Problem is, on field goals, if you're aim is off, why even bother going through with the kick, you've blown it already. The crowds don't react well to onfield play, and just seem to be there for atmosphere. The game still has passes that take forever to get their intended target.

I have a couple of other AI doozies. I was running a goal line offense at the one yard line, running my hb straight up the middle. I don't ask much from my line, but it would be nice if they at least blocked the defensive nose tackle. No such luck. He wasn't so much as brushed, he ran unimpeded and sacked my rb who was making his way to the hole. I had to run the replay to believe what had just taken place. You want a guaranteed sack on your qb, run a play action pass. By the time he's faked the handoff to freeze the line you'll have a DT draped over you. I could go on and on. This game is for fans of the previous version who may appreaciate the various idiosyncrasies. Madden and 2k fans need not apply here, your games are coming next week, and not a moment too soon, in my opinion.

7. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Just spent time w/ Fever, and it's not as bad as some of you let on. Graphics are stunning. I'm looking forward to Sega 2K3, but I don't expect it to be the perfect godsend as some are already making it out to be. A fair assessment can only be done after comparing BOTH.

8. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

I just played another 2 games of fever, Still can't pass for crap. but thats fiedler for ya, Ricky Williams is running like a stallion breaking tackles left and right. A bit too much. Last game against the chiefs a 31-7 victory, he had 294yds rushing, 50 some receiving, 3 rushing tds and 1 receiving td. I don't think the graphics are all that great. They're ok at best, its a bit too cartoony for me to take much more seriously.

Mike

9. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Hmmm...I just took my Cowboys into Miami and w/ a little defensive prowess, we were able to corral Ricky Williams to around 70 yards.