1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Draft Saturday.. need help..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I am in a fantasy football league. It's a keeper league meaning we have to keep 5 players off our roster for the next season... and we have to decide by the end of the first round of the NFL draft this weekend.

And, I'll admit, I'm not a huge football fan... I just like the competitive nature of fantasy football with my drunken buddies. I've never understood how anyone can keep track of every player in the NFL. I have a hard time remembering the players on my team!

Anyway.. I've not spent a lot of time researching who my keepers should be. So, I thought I might try to tap the enormous resource of the HTF.

Here's my roster: (don't laugh, it's a huge fantasy league and good players are hard to come by)

Code:
    QB - Drew Bledsoe

QB - Mark Brunell

QB - Jeff Lewis

RB - Ricky Watters

RB - Johnathon Linton

RB - Priest Holmes

RB - Shawn Bryson

WR - Ed McCaffery

WR - Tim Brown

WR - Troy Brown

WR - Keenan McCardell

TE - Frank Wycheck

TE - Pete Mitchelle

K  - Todd Peterson

K  - Brown, Kris

Which 5 should I keep?

2. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I'm one of those people that just eats up stats. During the season I can usually quote off just about any decent players stats. I don't know how it all sticks. Since I got into fantasy sports a few years ago, it's ten times worse.

Anyways the five guys I'd pick to keep would be:

Priest Holmes

Tim Brown

Keenan McCardell

Ed McCaffery

Mark Brunell

If I knew where Bledsoe or Watters end up I might take either of them over Brunell. Although Brunell has been damn consistent QB and those are about the best fantasy football players you can have. McCaffery's coming off a big injury, so you may want to stick with Troy Brown instead. But your WRs are definately a great bunch. TEs don't really matter unless you have Tony Gonzalez. Ks are all pretty much the same in my book.

3. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I agree with Ross, except I would replace Keenan McCardell with Troy Brown. McCaffery will have a great year this year and so will Holmes. If for some reason Ricky Watters ends up in Tampa by Saturday, keep him over one of your WR's.

-Dean-

4. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Good QB's and Running Backs are very hard to come by. I would keep 2 of each and tim brown.

If Buffalo or Cinci don't get drew bledsoe by the end of the first round get rid of him. Or keep him and hope New england will accept a 2nd or third rounder for him. Otherwise he will end up backing Tom Brady again.

1)Bledsoe

2)Brunell

3)Watters

4)Holmes

5)Brown. Only because of McCaffreys injury

5. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Also, I would look at the other teams QB's. If a couple of teams have two good QB's, you may be able to snag one of them in the draft. Brunell isn't a great Fantasy QB (backup at best), so I would look into that as well. If you can tell me each teams QB's, I can help you out some more.

-Dean-

6. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

About McCaffery..... remember he broke his leg. He didn't blow a knee out or anything crazy like that. He should be fine, especially since his injury happened in week 1. He will be fine. With the numbers he puts up, he is worth the risk.

-Dean-

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

This is great info guys! Thanks
    Can I organize a live chat when we do our actual draft? [​IMG]

8. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    My suggestion:

QB - Mark Brunell

RB - Priest Holmes

WR - Ed McCaffery

WR - Troy Brown

WR - Keenan McCardell

9. Ross Williams

This is an important question. How many players do you have to play at each position? That might change up some choices.

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Actually Ross, I just got off the phone with the guy who runs the league with that very question...

I am allowed these maximums in each position:

1 QB

2 RB's

2 WR's

1 TE

1 K

again.. not to exceed a total of 5 players.

11. Ross Williams

I usually play in a league with 3 WRs, that's why I went that way. You may want to stick with Watters over one of your recievers. After looking closer at your recievers stats, you definately have a tough choice ahead. All are very good. Tim Brown puts up consistant 1000 yard seasons, but is getting old. Troy Brown is slightly younger and put up great numbers last year, but I feel like that was his "career" year. McCardell is damn consistant too, but has never put up big TD #'s. McCaffrey is the best of the bunch, IF he comes back from his injury with no problems. Definately go for another QB in the first round and another RB in the 2nd. The good TEs will probably be kept, so you might as well take an average one later in the draft. Ks I always leave till the last round. The difference between the 1st best and the 20th best are negligible.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Ricky Watters and Drew Bledsoe are gambles, since it is still unknown where they will be playing next year. I think Bledsoe is a better fantasy QB than Brunell, but only if he lands with a team where he will start. I would definitely hang onto Troy Brown. I've had him in my fantasy league the past two seasons -- he puts up great numbers, especially in TD's + yardage leagues where you also get points for return TD's and yardage.

My safe picks would be:

Brunell

Troy Brown

McCardell

Holmes

Watters (only because you do not have another good RB)

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

It's a shame you can only keep 2 WR, otherwise I would keep all three of those guys.

With your constraints, I would definately take Troy Brown and Tim Brown. They are as good as McCaffrey but with less injury risk...and I'm a huge Broncos fan, but I'm not sold on Griese at the helm. Keep the Brown boys.

Definately keep Watters and Holmes as your RB. Holmes is your best player...if you drop him you are making a huge mistake.

I would take a risk and keep Bledsoe last. Brunell is highly overrated in the fantasy world and due to salary cap problems, they are a shadow of the team they used to be. I predict Bledsoe will get traded, helping you out.

In a perfect world, I would drop all three QB's and keep McCaffrey over those guys, but your league rules prevent it.

15. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Well, since you can only keep two WR's, here is who I would keep:

Priest Holmes

Ricky Watters (he'll be a starter somewhere)

Tim Brown

Troy Brown (especially if you get points for return TDs)

Drew Bledsoe (take a gamble on him, if it doesn't work out take a QB with your 1st pick)

-Dean-

16. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

So who did you keep?

-Dean-

17. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer