What's new

NFL Draft 2003 (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Might Chicago being looking at Kyle Boller now with the knowledge that the Ravens likely won't take him at number 10?
Since the Bears do need a QB and they essentially passed on Leftwich by trading down, I think Kyle Boller is a good bet to be taken by the Bears. This could work out great for Chicago, since they would still get a QB and another first round choice.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
If I was the Bears I would wait and take Grossman with their late 1st than Boller with the #13; I don't like any QB once past Palmer and Leftwich.

I hope nobody passes on Rogers, and if Detroit passes up the hometown kid, well, it's easy to say their attendance will not go up dramatically.

I used to think McGahee would never be drafted in the 1st round but he is coming along pretty freaking well from getting his knee ripped up 15 weeks ago. The guy just squated 225 10 times. I am not a fan of Larry Johnson but think he will be a decent RB, imo he will be a RB who plays for about 5 teams, usually bad ones needing something at the RB spot.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Rumor has it the Patriots want to package their two first round picks, plus a second rounder this year for Detroit's pick at #2 overall. Detroit is said to have countered wanting that deal PLUS a third round pick this year (so four picks in all).

I like the deal for Detroit, for they have many holes, but who would the Patriots be targeting at #2???

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I like the deal for Detroit, for they have many holes, but who would the Patriots be targeting at #2???
That's actually an easy one to answer -- DT Dwayne Robertson from Kentucky. Speculation is that the Jets traded up to #4 to get him, and the Pats would love to steal him away from their division rival.

I am not sure if I like this trade. Yes, Detroit has multiple holes to fill, so the trade seems to help in that respect. However, this is considered a shallow draft, so the #2 spot is the only place where the Lions can get a possible star player. They may get future starters at #14 & 19 (the Patriots spots), but probably not a player with the potential impact of Rogers. Starters can also be found via free agency, but Pro Bowlers are much more difficult to get that way.

Of course, Rogers could end up being a flop, too. It's all speculation until the player proves whether they can play at the NFL level.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
....but who would the Patriots be targeting at #2???
According to Don Banks at CNNSI, they'd do it to beat out the Jets for Dewayne Robertson, in which case the Jets would then take whichever receiver (Andre Johnson or Charles Rogers) the Texans didn't take.

No wonder the draft is my favorite part of the football season.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
However, this is considered a shallow draft
From what I have read, this is a shallow draft in round 1 only. One NFL GM said only 8 players on his draft board got a first round grade this year. However, I have also read that it's pretty deep in round 2 and 3.

Getting 4 picks for 1 seems pretty good to me. Receivers take a while to really acclimate themselves to a NFL offense. Most don't mature in the system until year 3. Sure, there are exceptions, Randy Moss and more recently Donte Stallworth last year, but the Lions defense is so bad that they could get Boss Bailey at 14 and a D-lineman at 19. Then, they may get lucky and get McGahee with the second pick of round 2. They still wouldn't have solved their WR problems, but hey, I'm not a miracle worker!!!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
The Lions? Don't they still have Schroeder and Hakim? That's not too bad, really. Though a Charlie Rogers would be a good addition to that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
From what I have read, this is a shallow draft in round 1 only. One NFL GM said only 8 players on his draft board got a first round grade this year. However, I have also read that it's pretty deep in round 2 and 3.
But the problem with the Pats offer is that the meat of it is two picks in the middle of the first round, where the draft is weak. New England has reportedly balked also giving up a third round choice, so Detroit would only add a mid-second round pick to the two first rounders.

It's an offer worth considering, but it would be tough to watch Rogers become a superstar somewhere else (if he lives up to all the hype). If Detroit does make the deal, they should take Tennessee WR Kelly Washington with one of the two first round picks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Vikings sure looked like a bunch of bumbling fools, running out of time on their pick and letting two teams (and almost three) pick in front of them before they could get their choice in. This is the second straight year this has happened to them. Does Mike Tice have any clue regarding running a draft? Does his wrist watch not work?

Jacksonville, Carolina and Baltimore were on the ball while the Vikings were fumbling around. All three teams hurried their picks in while Tice tried to find a crayon to write down their pick. :)

The other surprise was the Cardinals trading down from #6 to #17 & 18 with New Orleans. That may not have been too bad, except Arizona also dropped down in the 2nd round as part of the deal (swapping picks in that round with the Saints, too). New Orleans got the better of the deal.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Ed Hartwell, Ed Reed, Chris McAlister, and now TERRELL SUGGS. I would strongly urge any offensive player in the AFC North who values his health to retire before the 2003 season begins. :D :D :D :D :D

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Four months and twelve days...Four months and twelve days...Four months and twelve days...Four months and twelve days...And who do my beloved Ravens open the season against?!?! The hated Steelers!!!! I'll be foaming at the mouth for the the next four months!!!!:D :D :D :D

(In case you can't tell, I'm rather happy that Terrell Suggs fell to the Ravens, and firmly believe that the 2003 Ravens will have the greatest defense ever to grace a football field. I also can't wait to see them pound the Steelers into their ketchup-bottle...err home turf.)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
In case you can't tell, I'm rather happy that Terrell Suggs fell to the Ravens, and firmly believe that the 2003 Ravens will have the greatest defense ever to grace a football field. I also can't wait to see them pound the Steelers into their ketchup-bottle...err home turf
The Ravens got a gift with Suggs. I can't believe that all of the other teams passed on him. He's gonna be a great player. However, it still won't change things between the Steelers and the Ravens. The Steelers will continue to own the Ravens. :D

I'm real happy with what the Steelers did in round 1. Polamalu is a stud and was worth the trade. He's exactly what they needed in their secondary.

Detroit got a steal with their 2nd round pick of Boss Bailey. He should've been at the very worst a top 20 pick.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So far, the draft has gone well for the Lions. They resisted the urge to trade their #1 pick, and got a projected first rounder (LB Bailey) with their 2nd round pick.

The Vikings actually got their 2nd round selection within the allotted time limit! Someone must have given Tice a watch. :)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I should've known there'd be a Lions fan out there that had that take on their WRs. ;) I think they did really well in this draft. Rogers should be have an impact from day 1; I agree about Bailey - a steal at that pick. I feel the same way with Cory Redding. Overall strong draft for them.

The Cowboys picked up the guy I'm keeping my eye on: Jason Witten. This guy was UT's only consistent threat (when they went to him) and he should be a great fit with Parcells in Dallas.

A few picks that left me scratching my head: McGahee to Buffalo. Eh?! I'm not sure of Travis Henry's contract status but one would think he'd be their guy for awhile. Maybe they're taking clues from Denver's past.

Also, Houston with Andre Johnson. Not as bad but if I were David Carr, I'd be steamed. He needs some meat in front of him to keep the defense off of him.

And Leftwich going to Jacksonville...that could be pretty exciting.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
The Lions did do well, I hope the players they drafted end up on a good team someday, such as any team in the NFL other than the Lions. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm surprised that TE Witten lasted as long as he did. That guy killed Michigan in a bowl game after the '01 season.

I was surprised that Buffalo chose McGahee, too. I thought he would go in the 1st round, but RB was not a need position for the Bills. Not only do they have Henry, but they recently signed Olandis Gary.

The Lions did do well, I hope the players they drafted end up on a good team someday, such as any team in the NFL other than the Lions. :D
Watch out, Ryan. The Lions have The Mooch now. They may win their second playoff game in a 44-year span in a couple of years. :laugh: After all, Mariucci and Millen at least know how long 15 minutes is. ;)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Lets see, Lee Suggs, Ontario Smith and Quentin Griffin are all availabe... the Lions select Prinner?!?! from Kentucky, nice, just when things were looking up, they go and make that pick.

Yuck

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I was surprised Lee Suggs lasted as long as he did, I think he will be a really good RB. What was the knock on him btw?

I like Denver taking Quintin Griffin, he is small and physicall and should be a nice compliment to Portis.

Whitten should be a solid TE in the NFL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks