What's new

NFL 2k3 with XBox Live...all passing?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have played about 10 games online so far, and would guess that my opponents pass the ball about 75%+ of the time. No one seems to run more than a handful of rushing plays each game.

I think of the 10 games I have played, 5 of my opponents have chosed Oakland (for the potent Rice and Ganon combo). It gets kind of boring defending only against the pass.

Is running really too hard in the game?

Whats your opinion? Do you only run pass plays??

JP

Jason Price

Second Unit
lol, Jeff, that's been my experience as well. In fact, the very first game I played on XBL (during the beta), my opponent passed 100% of the time. I haven't played many games, really, but those that I have played have been completely dominated by the passing game, with little-to-no attempt to establish the run.

Unfortunately, running is very difficult in this game, and passing is rather easy (the d-back AI is pitiful), which is why this happens. I love to run the ball, yet I only run probably 15 times a game because it is so ineffective (even with last year's #1 rusher, Priest Holmes). The run blocking is absolutely pathetic (especially by lead blockers), and defensive linemen can break out of blocks way too easily. I *really* hope they do something about the blocking and d-back AI next year...

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Probably because of the 5 minute per quarter limit. I'll bet that 15-minute quarter games would be different.

Mike

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
If you play the better players online they pass very little and tend to run run run and then run some more. Running is a learned skill that takes a lot of time to develop. Some keys to it are not rushing ahead of your blocks. be patient getting to the hole. then try to read your blocks. Don't run into the same gap as a blitz. Audible out of it. The better players will pick you apart if all you do is pass. Because they take control of the DB's and just pick it off and not leave it to the bad DB AI.
If you want to play against some quality guys check out the power rankings at www.fgonline.org. Be prepared to play straight up football with no cheese or you'll get kicked out pretty quick. Mostly the newbies pass all the time. During beta I had a guy try that on me and then he quit half way through the third quarter after I was up by 30 pts and had 5 interceptions. Defending against the pass is easier than the run if you know what you're doing. Especially when all you have to do half the time is tackle them right away and they drop the ball.
If anyone wants to play a game challenge me and we'll give it a go. I'm not the great by any means. I'm still learning the art of defense but my dolphins will run over the best of them(at least I like to think so)

Jason Price

Second Unit
Interesting that the top guys use the run so effectively. I try and do all the thing that you mention, but the idiotic blocking AI frequently blows up my play, even when I've read it just right. A perfect example is a toss sweep out of the I-formation. My line will get good contain blocks, and the only potential tackler is the linebacker sliding over with the play. What does my lead blocker do (fullback)? He just ignores the backer, and just continues on his merry way down the field, blocking no one. Had he thrown the block, it's an easy 10 yd gain. When he misses the block, I get blown up at or behind the LOS. Drives me nuts...

We definitely need to get together for a game - maybe I could learn some things from you on the running game. I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like, and I need to get a gauge on how good I am, too...

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
What Mike (Darius) says is true. He runs all over me with Ricky Williams like my D isn't on the field. The top players will run at least 50% to 60% of the time, if not more. Then they nail you with roll outs and play action when you move your safeties up. I played a guy today (Mike knows him) who used Alstott and got over 200 yards rushing on me. :angry:
Gamertag: SPAZ

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
It seems like there are a TON of dropped passes in this game. Granted, if a guy gets his bell rung IRL, he's gonna drop a few, but it seems like the ratio of dropped:caught is way too high. Is there a button to push that will help hold the ball after it's been caught? I've tried holding A and it doesn't seem to work.

As far as the running game goes ... yes, a good running team can tear you apart, but some teams just have no offensive line. Can you still back up your claims that a good player is better by running most of the time even if their line sucks?

Mitty

Supporting Actor
The top players will run at least 50% to 60% of the time, if not more. Then they nail you with roll outs and play action when you move your safeties up.
Sorta just like in real life, it's all about the mix. Also, he who controls the run, controls the clock. There's nothing more frustrating than being behind in a close game and having your opponent repeatedly run the ball for three or four yards, just getting 1st downs and chewing up the clock. Or being just ahead and know that you HAVE to stop them or they're not gonna leave you any clock if they score. The only time you ever see a team more or less throw the run plays out of the play book is when they're desperately behind in the game.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Well i have been trying out the run. After starting out 2-5 in ranked games in which I switched mostly to passing as that was what the opponent was burning me with, I have won 2 in a row while running 50% of the plays.

I have found that running really throws the other team out of tempo....they dont seem to string together bomb after bomb if thier defense is forced to be on the field 3 to 4 minutes at a time.

I just won a 10-7 game in which my time of possesion was 14 minutes. I played for clock control...using lots of runs along with screen passes. Short passes netted me tons of yardage, as the other guy kept on blitzing expecting the run.

Hopefully I will improve before the HTF NFK2k3 league games start!

JP

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't agree with Mike more.

The practice options in NFL2k3 are really good, running is hard but if you get to know your team and your back, you'll find out what kind of runner he is and should be able to run more effectively.

I became some what decent running the football as I had very little luck passing ( I refuse to run backwards 30 yards waiting for the pass coverage to break down completely, why don't they make those passes fall short? I don't know many quarterbacks that can throw, while running backwards, 70+ yards down field...)

Blu

Screenwriter
I'm new to the game series on the X box and am playing it on Live.
What is the best RB in the game so far in your various opinions?

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I like using LT (San Diego, dont ask me to spell it lol), but I'm somewhat baised seeing as I was born and raised in San Diego. He's a good straight ahead rusher, and not a bad reciever out of the backfield. I'm hoping when Sega updates the rosters the bump his stats up a bit.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Redskins against my friends when we play and all I can do is run to control the clock and play good defense. I usually get at least 100 rushing yards with Davis, and the points scored are low. These are guys that score a ton of points against other people, too, so I like to think I play decent defense. I used to hit the hole too early, but once my timing got better I started making positive yardage on most of my plays. I don't think any team in the game runs to the outside well, but even in real life that doesn't work because of the speed of defenses, so I don't mind. In Madden back in the day the HB toss to the ouside would get you 10+ yards every time, which I thought was silly.

I was glad to see the Skins play to their strengths against the Rams. Woohoo!

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
I've been most frustrated online by players that run the ball a lot. Its fairly easy to play pass defense. What usually happens is that I'll give up a lot of yardage at first, and then figure out what plays my opponent is running. After that, I can call effective nickel/dime defenses and close down. If the opponent actually runs, its a lot harder to do that.

I still have a lot of trouble running though, but I get around this by throwing a lot of short passes, screens, and quick slants. These seems fairly effective. Still, I need to run better, and have more patience letting the clock run down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks