NFL 2K3 delayed, possibly retitled. . .

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Brandon_H, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

. . . per IGN. Apparently, 2K4 -- or whatever it will be called, will be released Sept. 1, giving Madden a full month's head start on the market. Not really a shrewd move if you're looking to overcome last year's sales deficit.

The name also might be changed to play up the ESPN license, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Of course, the cynic in me wonders if this delay doesn't have something to do with the proposed Sega/EA "alliance" we keep hearing about. If such a deal comes to pass, methinks Sega might just let the series slip away into that good night. . .

2. Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes Stunt Coordinator

Uh, 2k3 already is out, if your talking about 2k4, it will still be owned by sega, i think, but im not sure. the only thing that ESPN can do it back out of their contract, they cant change the way Sega makes their games, and if ESPN does do that... we will be looking at a very different format. back in the 2k1 days

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Who said ESPN was doing anything?

4. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Changing the name of the product could seriously help increase sales due to the ESPN name on the front of the box. Alot of people who aren't familiar with the series would probably take a much closer look if the ESPN name is in the title. I have my doubts about Sega waiting until September 1 to release the title though. To me, this would really, really hurt sales against Madden. I have been a 2k series fan since the Dreamcast days and prefer the atmosphere and gameplay of Sega's pro football game to that of EA's, so Sega's sale with me is safe no matter the release date. However, your average consumer is probably going to snatch up Madden in early August because A) It is Madden and B) there will be no competition from 2k4 until September.

I still believe this release date is probably just a filler on Gamestops web site. It is still too early to tell, but I would almost bet that Sega will launch their football game within a week of Madden in August.

5. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

I don't think it matters at the moment when Sega releases their game. Madden will trounce it. Its better for them to take their time, and really polish the game. ESPN's name will help, but I don't think they will lose to many sales by being late.

Sega is in a bad spot though, with Madden beating them up badly, and Microsoft's game adding online league play, and other features that make it much more attractive this year.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

8. Graeme Clark

EB is listing it as September 30 now.

9. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=210380

Just goes to show everyone that these release dates are very tentative. As of yesterday, Gamestop was showing an early September release. Now the name has been changed back to NFL 2k4 and they are showing a Aug. 1 release. I think until we hear something definite from Sega that it is safe to assume that 2k4 will be hitting within a week of the other football titles this year.

10. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

This is suicide for them.
    You have your Madden fans and your Sega fans.
    But you also have videogame football nuts that want to play as soon as the seasons starts.
    Being a month late is going to kill them.
    Look for this title selling for $29 a few weeks after release like last year.
    When are they ever going to learn? Release date would have been my first goal on the greaseboard. Release it a week earlier than Madden, not a month later!
    By September 30th I'll see it on the shelf and say, "hmmm, they are still making football games?"

Doug

11. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

ign always wants to be ahead, so they will post totally unconfirmed news based off of next to nothing. I remember not long ago they claimed the Mechassault dl content official release dates months ahead of schedule.

12. Keith Frederick

Keith Frederick Stunt Coordinator

Uh, everyone was reporting that the MechAssault content was coming out earlier than it did.

13. Graeme Clark

14. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

this stuff is all over the board. really looking forward to seeing what sega has to say when all is said and done

15. Graeme Clark

16. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

Its possible that releasing a couple months after Madden will result in people buying both games. After playing Madden for a couple months, a new challenge would be fun. Games in the new release section sell better then those that aren't, so coming out head to head against an entrenched competitor isn't always the best bet.

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Are the football games coming out even earlier than last year? It seems like it, but I haven't been paying too close attention either...

Personally, I like a later release. When they are too early, it seems like they are wildly different from the actual teams for the same year.

-Dave

18. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Reports are now the name is back to NFL2k4.

19. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

FYI, Madden has been delayed to the same date as the Sega game.

Sega really needs to ensure that their box art looks drastically different than EA Sports, though. The last few years, it's been easy to mistake one for the other at first glance.

I hope Sega does go with the ESPN name in the title (I thought I heard concrete evidence that they are going to) and market this game much more, because they've been consistently better than EA Sports the last 3-4 years.

20. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

I seriously doubt that. I've bought a football title every year since the Super Nintendo/Genesis wars and I've never been tempted to buy more than one. Sega Sports has been good to me for the past few years so I'll probably stick with them for 2k4.