What's new

NFL 2018 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I may tune in for the first part of the first round tonight, depending on what I feel like watching after getting home from my golf league, which starts this evening. I rarely watch much of the draft anymore since the NFL spread it over three days, though. It's just too much talk to fill all that air time, which I find very boring. Instead, I just check in online once in awhile to see which players were selected.
I remember the draft years I used vacation days to watch it on ESPN. Those days are long gone as the NFL has ruin the draft for me.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It's interesting that coming into tonight all the buzz is on Baker Mayfield and so I have been looking at Baker Mayfield stuff this week. From what I had seen of him I could not figure out why there was so much love for the guy. Rosen, Allen, and Darnold all look like far better prospects to me. Mayfield looks like a guy you take a chance on in Round 2 or 3 to me...not a first round pick.

He will certainly go in the first round because we will have a first round QB frenzy this year but I finally discovered why people love Mayfield...it's the "metrics!"

Yup, they are looking at his stat sheets and glowing over those...numbers on a page. Here I am in agreement with Jon Gruden...this is NOT what would make me choose a player particularly because Mayfield's stats are pretty misleading. He threw more screen passes than any of the other QBs being considered in round 1. Also more short passes. Also ran an offense that did not require him to make NFL caliber throws. Yes, Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are productive NFL QBs and Brees is Hall of Fame material but these guys are exceptions not the rule. Also neither Brees nor Wilson is a headcase...but Mayfield does seem to be a bit of an A-hole...ask the Chargers.

So, if somebody takes Mayfield with Darnold, Allen, and Rosen still on the board...good luck to them.

I'm not against Mayfield, I hope all these QBs turn out to be good players and I would love Mayfield to be the next Drew Brees but it seems highly unlikely and like Gruden...I don't believe a bunch of stats will tell you how a guy will play in the NFL. They are nice to look at but the truth is the stack of paper is not what you put on the field.

I think there are two QBs in this 6 that look like they have a good chance to be total busts...Mayfield and Jackson. They both run around a bit too much and while you can get away with that in college in the NFL everybody is fast and you are going to get hit hard enough to take you out of a game or for the season. Ask a big guy like Cam Newton what it is like to run around at the QB position in the NFL...and Newton can take the hits. A guy like RG3 could not and while OC's love this idea of a scrambling/duel threat QB in the NFL that pretty much adds up to a QB that is going to have issues and take a lot of abuse.

One of the guys that has been sticking to predicting Darnold as the Browns pick at 1 has just changed the pick to Mayfield at one and has the Browns trading out of the 4 spot. My personal opinion is this would be an epic screw-up of the sort only the Browns can make. Do I think John Dorsey will do this? I certainly hope not for the sake of long suffering Browns fans.

I think the best landing spot for Mayfield would be the Saints, where he could learn from Brees, or the Dolphins where he could create mayhem with his attitude for Tannehill...who really needs to be pushed. If you are an outdoor cold weather team I would avoid Mayfield like the plague.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wonder what the Super Bowl champion Eagles will do with that #32 pick.

There's some talk around town that they will pick Derrius Guice or trade for a pick or 2 in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I wonder what the Super Bowl champion Eagles will do with that #32 pick.

There's some talk around town that they will pick Derrius Guice or trade for a pick or 2 in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The Eagles have a really good team so they really can't go wrong no matter what they do. With the possibility of 6 QBs being taken in the first round and three of them really not being guys that should go in the first round that means some really good players will drop to teams that don't need QBs...so the rich get richer...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Reggie I think that's exactly right. I don't know Guice but from what I hear on the talk shows and from the local Philly twitter guys he would be a really good pick at 32.
And because of all the qb's there iss a shot that a really good player can fall further then he usually would.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, Guice is rated as the second best RB I believe and there are some other good RBs as well...one of the reasons it does not make a lot of sense for the Giants to take Barkley at number 2 when they could likely get Rashaad Penny later in Round 2 and take a much more valuable player up at 2 or trade back for more picks. It makes sense for the Eagles to add a young RB because he would compliment the team they have. If the Giants use their second pick on a RB that only makes sense if they think they can compete for a Super Bowl with Eli Manning...which seems unlikely. The Giants were terrible last year but some signs point to the idea that Gettleman thinks they are a team that can win now...and if he thinks that Barkley is a good pick.

The question with Guice is will he last until the Eagles pick. He's likely to go bottom of the first round to top of the second. I think he would be a nice player for the Eagles. So, I would just look at teams that might want a RB ahead of the Eagles in the 21-31 range.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
All of the Giants insiders I listened to convinced me today that the Giants will not take a QB at 2, they do not want to upset Eli and they believe they have a Super Bowl caliber team. They want Barkley according to those that know.

I still think Chubb is the guy that most fits the Giants and Gettleman.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The big rumor is the Browns are going to take Baker Mayfield at one...my opinion...HORRIBLE CHOICE! If they can't make up their mind on QB and they should take Chubb or Barkley at one.

If they go QB it should be Darnold or Allen...or even Rosen. Don't destroy the hope of Browns fans by drafting Manziel 2.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, if the Bills are going to trade up it should be here with the Colts as the Colts want to trade back and stockpile picks...they have a lot of holes. Allen is available for the Bills the guy they really wanted supposedly so they can go get him here if they want.

However, Colts pick came in quick...

Users who are viewing this thread