1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2018-2019 Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Carabimero, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yeah, it's pretty hard to find a positive spin when you have a top-tier veteran quarterback and cannot create a game plan that will beat a 2-9 team.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    And at home.

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, it was a bad look to blow a game to the Cardinals (who are starting a rookie QB) at home, in the snow against a warm weather team, and your veteran QB throws 50 passes for only 200 something yards and with 50 passes thrown the Packers did not even have a 100 yard receiver in the game. Must have been dink and dunk all day. The West Coast offense does rely on lots of short passes and throws to backs out of the backfield but that's a sad outing.

Obviously, Rodgers has been pressing hard to get rid of McCarthy and the Packer brass gave him that as a 35th birthday present. Rodgers they say really wants Josh McDaniels as he thinks that is the guy to structure a winning offense around him.

I think the New England system has been in place for Brady for a long time. It has been tweaked over time but Brady knows it as well if not better than McDaniels. I will admit the Patriots win with some pretty lackluster talent on that offense. It seems you can remove anybody from it though and still win games...including Brady. The system does include a lot of throws to RBs out of the backfield but with the WRs and TE depends upon them making the same reads that Brady is making. So, if Rodgers wants to run that offense I hope he realizes it relies less on talent and more on the receivers being on the same page as the QB at all times...so it is complex and can look awful when it is not working. There would be a major learning curve for players to pick it up and there have been several talented players that could not that have passed through New England.

My guess would be if McDaniels were to go to Green Bay the best way to integrate that system would be to bring with him some receivers that understand it and might help others to learn it. Like a Gronk and/or an Edelman. Problem is Brady makes that system look easy because he has played in it forever. For Rodgers he would be learning it and then trying to get his receivers to learn it as well. Not a fun transition.

Rodgers has been playing the West Coast style through his career which relies on all those quick precision routes by the receivers. All those slants and quick outs. That offense only relies on the QB reading what is happening not the WRs and TE making their own reads.

You can simplify things in the Patriots offense for new players. I believe they have given Gordon a set of easy routes to run where he is not making reads. On the whole though you need your guys reading the defense too. This is what Edelman, Gronk, and Hogan are doing. This is why Brady struggles with new receivers. They have to turn left when Brady expects them to turn left. If they turn the wrong way too many times and don't read things the way Brady reads them he just won't throw them the football.

This is also why guys that would typically be third or fourth string players in another offense become stars in the Patriots offense. They learn to read what Brady reads...or they don't get the ball. So, it is an offense that relies more on football smarts than talent.

Rodgers is a smart player but to make this offense work in Green Bay he needs a group of smart players around him that are developed in the system and learn to read what he reads.

4. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    It does not help when the "top-tier veteran quarterback" misses on AT LEAST 11 throws.

God, he played poorly. I don't know whether he sucked on purpose, or his skills are just gone.

5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I don't think Rodgers would suck on purpose. I think he is just on the verge of checking out on this season. Maybe he'll be fired up the rest of the way with McCarthy gone.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Yeah, it's kind of hard to get excited about playing when the plan is basically, "OK, now remember what we did last week? We're going to do the same exact thing again."

7. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I was excited to watch the Chargers play the Steelers last night. As I watched the game I realized these two teams are a lot alike. They both have a lot of talented players. They both have really good veteran QBs, Rivers in my opinion being the better of the two, that have lots of weapons.

But the problem is they also both seem prone to making horrible mistakes due to what appears to be some really sloppy coaching.

I mean, wow, the end of that game was insane. The Chargers got three tries to make the game winning field goal and would have got a fourth because the Steelers committed the same penalty 4 freaking times in a row. Holy crap was that awful. I think the Chargers kicker was so rattled the first two times he kicked it the Steelers should have just let him kick it because he was going to miss it anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled the Chargers won but the Steelers really looked like they bet on the Chargers and wanted them to win at the end. Big Ben stood there and looked about as disgusted as a human being could and you saw him say "We were offsides again!" as the winning kick sailed through on the third try.

Mike Tomlin has to be one of the worst in-game coaches in the NFL.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I cannot believe the Steelers special teams coach hasn't been fired. Every single week there are multiple errors on ST. Last night it was (1) a punt return for a TD, (2) blocking penalties on numerous kick/punt returns (this happens every week), (3) a player trying to field a blocked punt after it crossed the line of scrimmage, (4) yet another missed extra point (Boswell sucks), and (5) the end of game fiasco..

Oh, and I agree, Reggie. Tomlin is a moron when it comes to in-game management. I cannot count the number of times he will make a challenge that has no hope of being won, only to waste a timeout that is needed later in the game. Tomlin's had a lot of success in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers don't fire head coaches, so he's not going anywhere. However, it's frustrating watching this coaching staff throwing away the team's opportunity with all the talent that is there. This will at best be another quick exit from the playoffs with another road loss -- unless they keep playing as boneheaded as the past three weeks, in which case Baltimore may just catch them even though the Ravens are playing without a real QB.

9. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    I've started focusing mostly on College ball and have been much happier ever since. :)

10. Scott Merryfield

That hasn't been any better for this diehard Michigan Wolverines fan. :(

11. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    I hear you but at least the corruption is less [or possibly more obscured] than the No Fun League.

12. Scott Merryfield

There is probably more corruption in college sports than anywhere else, as there are so many teams and so many recruiting rules. The NCAA, just like the NFL, turns a blind eye towards it with the big programs when they can because there is so much money at stake. People pay a lot of money to watch Alabama, Ohio State, etc. play in person or on TV. The NCAA doesn't want those schools banned from bowl games for any violations.

Dheiner and John Dirk like this.
  13. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    Agreed but to the casual fan like me, it's less obvious. Where there is money there will be corruption, right? I feel a little guilty whenever I watch football but I have to admit, I do love the game.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Man, Washington lost another QB to a broken leg. Thankfully for McCoy his fibula fracture isn't as bad as Smith nor did he break his tibia like Smith did.

15. Scott Merryfield

Ouch. I didn't watch last night's game. That's too bad for McCoy. He hasn't had too many opportunities to play in his career.

16. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
  17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Freaking Raiders! San Francisco loses and Carr leads Raiders to comeback victory against the Steelers. Granted, I hate the Steelers from our days back when those two teams both played great football, but damn this makes me sick we're not going to get that number one pick.

One weird day in the NFL this Sunday! Some strange games and outcomes.

18. Scott Merryfield

The Steelers should be embarrassed by the way they have played the last four weeks. They should be running away with their division, and instead they will probably miss the playoffs.

If anyone out there was suffering from insomnia, the Lions - Cardinals game would have been a sure-fire cure. It was the only 4pm game on here, so I watched the first half. Horrible, horrible football. Luckily the Montreal Canadiens hockey game came on at 6pm, saving me from any more of that dreadful game.

The flea flicker / multiple lateral play almost never works, but Miami pulled it off to beat the Pats.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, I was watching that play live as I had it on DirecTV's channel 702 in which they show all the games at the same time.

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Steelers and Patriots have both seemed to check out for the season the last few weeks. Ridiculous sloppy play. I think Belichick is starting to lose it if he thinks Gronkowski is the best choice for safety when the game is on the line. He's big, but he's not fast.

I've resorted to rooting for the Bears or Rams and Chiefs to make the SB.