What's new

NFL 2018-2019 Thread (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
According to Ian Rapoport neither Bell nor his agent knew until a few days ago that Bell would have to be tagged as a QB at $25M next year whether he reports or not. I realize that Bell is just a dumb athlete, but how could his agent not know this? Talk about a case of “dumb and dumber”! If this is true, then I doubt Bell will be reporting by next Tuesday.

I think Bell’s been getting some terrible advice by his agent. He already turned down a contract similar to what Gurley got, and then is leaving $14.5M on the table this season, gambling that Pittsburgh would struggle without him. Instead, James Conner stepped into Bell’s role without missing a beat, putting a serious question mark on just how much of Bell’s success in Pittsburgh was talent and how much was the system. He very well may find that the offers next offseason will not be nearly as big as he was hoping.

I believe the Steelers have said they will not try to retain Bell next season. At this point why would they. My guess is the teams that were sniffing around about him will make the biggest push to land him next season. The Eagles seem the most interested and while everything about the Packers is up in the air right now because they will likely make a head coaching change next season they also had an interest in Bell. Those would both be good landing spots for him...and I kind of feel he will eventually be an Eagle. Those NFC East teams all have a bell cow back right now except the Eagles and they seem to really want one.

Bell himself seems like the wild card in all this because what he seems to want most is to be a free agent and to choose where he plays. I am not sure he cares about going to a good team as much as he wants to be paid and play somewhere he enjoys living. So, he may want to go to the Dolphins or Buccs or even Raiders. Who knows. If he wants to compete though if the Eagles and Packers come knocking he should consider those teams.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the Steelers will be most happy if Bell doesn’t report by Tuesday. As you said, Reggie, they will not be retaining him next season, and if he doesn’t report they can roll over his entire $14.5M salary cap hit from this season into a credit for next season. They also will not have to deal with a negative situation in the locker room when the team is just starting to play well. If Bell shows up, I hope Pittsburgh just leaves him inactive for the remainder of the season as long as Connor is healthy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the Steelers will be most happy if Bell doesn’t report by Tuesday. As you said, Reggie, they will not be retaining him next season, and if he doesn’t report they can roll over his entire $14.5M salary cap hit from this season into a credit for next season. They also will not have to deal with a negative situation in the locker room when the team is just starting to play well. If Bell shows up, I hope Pittsburgh just leaves him inactive for the remainder of the season as long as Connor is healthy.
They got their wish as he didn't report.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The Chiefs/Rams game has been moved to LA from Mexico City due to poor field conditions.

This does take a tiny bit of the Super Bowl like setting away from the game as they would have played it on a neutral site but still, it is the regular season game of the year.

I'm very excited to see this game and it's a great way to kick off the Thanksgiving week. I actually like that they moved the game to the Coliseum as I like watching games played there. This should be fun and I think the one thing we can count on is it won't be a defensive struggle.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, apparently I was wrong thinking the Eagles would go after Le'Veon Bell in the off season. It seems the Eagles only wanted him for a rental this season and do not want to (can't) pay him upwards of $17 million a season and the $45 to $50 million in guaranteed money he is seeking.

It seems it will be between the Dolphins, Raiders, 49ers, and Jets. These appear to be the 4 teams that will heavily pursue him. The Packers seem not to figure in the mix either as their whole future seems up in the air due to the fact that McCarthy is going to be fired at seasons end...or before once their playoff chances dry up.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Strange and sad to see another Redskins QB suffer a broken leg to end his season and how weird must it have been for Joe Theismann sitting there in the stadium watching that. The Cowboys now look like they could challenge for the NFC East throne. The Eagles look spent getting destroyed by the Saints yesterday and I don't have a lot of faith in Colt McCoy.

This is really lousy for Redskins fans as they looked to be playoff bound and now Dallas really has a chance to catch them and take over the division. Washington's fate rests on the shoulders of Colt McCoy.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, right now in the NFC the playoff picture looks pretty clear, either the Saints or Rams should make the Super Bowl. These two teams just seem so far ahead of everybody else that it would be a shock if one of them did not make it. That should be the NFC championship game and wow, will it be a good one. (I should throw in here barring any crazy injuries.)

The AFC is much more up for grabs. Yes, the Chiefs right now look like the top team but Andy Reid needs to break his playoff curse. The Patriots are always in the mix but the truth is that team is full of holes and is the least talented team of all the AFC teams in playoff contention. The Steelers look like they will take their division but I do not trust Mike Tomlin and his staff to win playoff games. The Steelers have talent and they win based on that talent but boy do they look like a sloppily coached team to me every time I watch them play. I think the Texans or Chargers could play spoiler roles in the playoffs. So, really, any of these teams mentioned could make it to the Super Bowl based on luck and how the ball bounces.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, the most aggravating thing for me yesterday was the Chargers blowing a game they had full control of with some really costly and well timed mistakes. I was excited because they got Bosa back, they were just one game back of the Chiefs and they seemed to be improving with each game.

Then, of course, some mistakes and horrendous clock management put the Broncos back in the game.

They always say what defines a great team is the ability to win games you should win and to be able to put teams away when you are up.

The Chargers seem not to be checking these boxes yet.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So, the most aggravating thing for me yesterday was the Chargers blowing a game they had full control of with some really costly and well timed mistakes. I was excited because they got Bosa back, they were just one game back of the Chiefs and they seemed to be improving with each game.

Then, of course, some mistakes and horrendous clock management put the Broncos back in the game.

They always say what defines a great team is the ability to win games you should win and to be able to put teams away when you are up.

The Chargers seem not to be checking these boxes yet.
How many years has Philip Rivers been in the league? Yet he still does not understand how time works? Still a long way from "elite" apparently.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Strange and sad to see another Redskins QB suffer a broken leg to end his season and how weird must it have been for Joe Theismann sitting there in the stadium watching that. The Cowboys now look like they could challenge for the NFC East throne. The Eagles look spent getting destroyed by the Saints yesterday and I don't have a lot of faith in Colt McCoy.

This is really lousy for Redskins fans as they looked to be playoff bound and now Dallas really has a chance to catch them and take over the division. Washington's fate rests on the shoulders of Colt McCoy.
Very creepy coincidences between the Smith and Theismann injuries:

Theismann tweeted the comparison between his and Smith’s injuries.

Both happened on Nov. 18. Both happened at the 40-yard line. Romeo Crennel was an assistant coach on the opposing sideline of both games. Washington won the 1985 game 23-21; Houston won Sunday’s game 23-21. Theismann finished his season with 301 attempts; Smith entered Sunday’s game with 301 attempts and finished his season with 328.

:eek:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So, apparently I was wrong thinking the Eagles would go after Le'Veon Bell in the off season. It seems the Eagles only wanted him for a rental this season and do not want to (can't) pay him upwards of $17 million a season and the $45 to $50 million in guaranteed money he is seeking.

It seems it will be between the Dolphins, Raiders, 49ers, and Jets. These appear to be the 4 teams that will heavily pursue him. The Packers seem not to figure in the mix either as their whole future seems up in the air due to the fact that McCarthy is going to be fired at seasons end...or before once their playoff chances dry up.
If those are the teams Bell will be negotiating with, then it's apparent he's all about the money and doesn't care about winning. Personally, as a Steelers fan I am glad to be rid of him. Bell's not worth anywhere near what he's asking for. Paying a RB that much in the salary cap era makes no sense. I realize Bell's considered one of the top players at his position, but the position he plays just doesn't get the money that an elite QB or WR commands in today's passing NFL. Pittsburgh has got by just fine when he's been out of the lineup the past few seasons.

As for the AFC playoffs, I think they are wide open. Kansas City looks very good, but as Reggie stated, with Andy Reid coaching you almost expect a playoff collapse. The Patriots look very vulnerable, but as look as the B&B boys are there you can never count them out. The Steelers have improved their defense a lot as the season has progressed, but they still need to prove they can beat New England.

The NFC does appear to be a two horse race between the Saints and Rams. New Orleans has the inside edge to home field advantage, which will be huge. Chicago is an interesting wildcard, though. That defense is very good, and the offense and their young QB are shaping up well. If they were in the AFC, I would make them the favorite. However, they are unfortunate to be playing in a conference with two very good teams.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would never hire Bell to be on my team. Any time his feelings are hurt just a little bit, he won't show up to do his job. His ego and attitude are far bigger than his talent.

Steelers are likely happy to have saved over $14 million and have a RB that's even better in Connor.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
How many years has Philip Rivers been in the league? Yet he still does not understand how time works? Still a long way from "elite" apparently.

I don't know, I really like Rivers as a player. He is tough and a gamer and he has a great quick release and feel for the game. However, I think that playing all these years for the Chargers you start to expect the "Oh no!" moment. And for the Chargers that moment ALWAYS comes. Be it a missed kick, a dropped ball, or a horrendous injury to a key player.

Good teams have "Oh no!" moments but they overcome them because they know they can. Bad teams learn to expect the worst and the "Oh no!" moment does them in. Look at the Patriots, they have "Oh no!" moments but it is like a speed bump. They just keep right on going.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
So, right now in the NFC the playoff picture looks pretty clear, either the Saints or Rams should make the Super Bowl. These two teams just seem so far ahead of everybody else that it would be a shock if one of them did not make it. That should be the NFC championship game and wow, will it be a good one. (I should throw in here barring any crazy injuries.)

The NFC does appear to be a two horse race between the Saints and Rams. New Orleans has the inside edge to home field advantage, which will be huge. Chicago is an interesting wildcard, though. That defense is very good, and the offense and their young QB are shaping up well. If they were in the AFC, I would make them the favorite. However, they are unfortunate to be playing in a conference with two very good teams.

I'll say up front that I'm a lifelong Bears fan so I'm definitely rooting for them to do well. They have certainly been a surprise this season with how good their defense is and how well the offense is playing (especially Trubisky and that he is the leading rushing QB). We will see how much of the real deal they are in a few weeks on Sunday night, December 9, when they play the Rams at home.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't know, I really like Rivers as a player. He is tough and a gamer and he has a great quick release and feel for the game. However, I think that playing all these years for the Chargers you start to expect the "Oh no!" moment. And for the Chargers that moment ALWAYS comes. Be it a missed kick, a dropped ball, or a horrendous injury to a key player.

Good teams have "Oh no!" moments but they overcome them because they know they can. Bad teams learn to expect the worst and the "Oh no!" moment does them in. Look at the Patriots, they have "Oh no!" moments but it is like a speed bump. They just keep right on going.
Or the Steelers this past weekend, that had three quarters of "Oh no!" moments, yet still managed the win in the end.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Or the Steelers this past weekend, that had three quarters of "Oh no!" moments, yet still managed the win in the end.
It was three quarters of "Road Ben", followed by a quarter of "Home Ben" along with playing an opponent who doesn't trust its quarterback so just went into a complete offensive shell. I think the Jaguars would be quite a team if they had an actual NFL quarterback. Meanwhile, it amazes me how much different Roethlisberger plays on the road versus in Pittsburgh.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Sunday morning on the ESPN pre-game show they were really pumping up Team Voldemort. I’m sitting there muttering “They’ve only played 2 teams with winning records and they lost both times. And you have to consider the franchise history.”

When you write that moment ALWAYS comes, you are right on the mark. They’ve only played in the last game of the season once, it was embarrassing. The current owners are apartment owning bean-counters. The Voldemort’s will never be more than average plus with these owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks