1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2018-2019 Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Carabimero, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Yes, that's tough. I thought hiring Gruden was a huge risk, and it's turning out to be a terrible decision.

My Steelers are not looking much better. The defense is terrible, and Tomlin's coaching this season has been the worst I can remember seeing on a Pittsburgh team in many, many years. He's been a solid coach in the past, though, so at least there's some hope he can turn things around. I wouldn't be as optimistic with Gruden, though, as I think being out of coaching for a decade made him a poor choice to turn around that franchise.

Following your favorite teams is always tough, as the vast majority of the time the season ends in disappointment. My three favorite sports teams -- Steelers, Montreal Canadiens, and Michigan Wolverines football -- have all been struggling to various degrees for years. Like you, Robert, as I get older it gets to be less important, and at least I can still recall each team's glory years.

2. Message #22 of 52 Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yeah, but my younger brother is taking it harder than me about the Raiders. I've reached the age that I try to get as much enjoyment out of life as possible. Watching movies gives me more enjoyment than sports. Too many disappointments in the latter.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I called the Saturday before the season opened, and got $70 a month for 12 months off my bill. Last year it was $50.

I think team voldemort got some talk about being a contender this year. Boy have I heard that before. They are now 1-2. As long as they are owned by the Spanos family they will never be any good.

4. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, many people still feel the Chargers are a serious contender in the AFC and the two losses so far came against the Chiefs and Rams...the two hottest teams in the NFL. Also they lost those games due to some horrible dropped passes, really bad special teams play, and they are missing key players due to injury on both sides of the ball. They honestly were in those games outside of those horrible mistakes. So, it is possible they will get better.

The Chiefs offense looks unstoppable right now. Have to wonder if they will come down to earth. I mean right now a "bad" game for Mahomes is throwing 3 TDs and no picks.

5. Message #25 of 52 Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    On the Patriots, they are at the moment relying on Gordon (last good 5 years ago in 2013) and Edelman (coming off a major injury and looked like he lost a step or 2 in preseason) to inject some life into an offense that looks DOA. Even if those two WRs take some heat off Gronk their defense is also a disaster. The Patriots look like a team that will need to put up 24 points or more a game because their defense will probably give up 20 or more a game. It's a bad recipe and they seriously lack talent on both sides of the ball. Then you go to all the infighting on the team, Gronk confirming he was going to retire because the Patriots had worked out a trade for him with the Lions...well...nothing good going on here.

On the roughing the passer calls...

The NFL has worked for years to change the rules and tweak the game so it is a passing/offense dominated league. They accomplished that but then had the issue of QBs going down with injury. So, basically what they want is to eliminate that by almost having a "hands off" QB rule. So, the QB can drop back and pass and nobody can touch him. I mean back in the day when football was "real" throwing for 4000 yards and 30 something TDs was a big deal. Now we are going to see 5000 yard plus passing seasons and I think we have already set the record of TDs thrown in the first 3 games of the season. For the love of all that's holy, Ryan Fitzpatrick is tearing up the league and he stinks.

RBs unless they can catch coming out of the backfield or lineup wide to run a pattern have become virtually useless. Teams are throwing so much to score and defenses can't stop anybody so the opposing team has to throw to keep up. Teams with good RBs have virtually no use for them. This is why the Giants were nuts to spend such a high pick on a RB.

Honestly, the Patriots set the standard with making the RB useless when they went to using a bunch of specialty backs instead of having a bell cow. Belichick saw that coming and went for a bunch of backs that could do different things.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    The Steelers should trade Bell ASAP because the guy does not want to play for them, won't sign a deal and will walk out next season anyway to play elsewhere, and is nowhere near as valuable as he thinks he is.

The Packers may want him. The Jets seem to have some interest. The Patriots could use any help they can get but I don't think would trade for him. Seattle might be interested. They should move him now while they can. I'd like to see Bell go to the Raiders, he fits what Gruden is thinking.

7. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, they gave Gruden a ten year deal and he is working on a ten year plan. I think it is obvious based on his moves and comments he came in, evaluated the team, said this team stinks, and saw the chance to trade Mack for picks for a long term rebuilding project, and thought, "Yup, I'll start over."

He had said in the past if he took a coaching job he wanted a good starting QB already in place so, I thought this meant he must like Carr. Now he looks like he is just auditioning Carr and will move on if he does not like what he sees. I don't think through three games he likes what he sees.

8. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Last night's game is what the league would like all NFL games to look like. Loads of offense, mostly no defense outside of a few big plays (a sack here, a pick there) and fantasy football players all ending up happy no matter who wins because lots of points were scored by offensive players.

It's getting nearly hilarious with these guys throwing for 5 or 6 touchdowns as a regular thing. And now you've got the QB flop to worry about to draw more penalties. Big Ben is a good flopper.

9. Scott Merryfield

The Steelers will only trade Bell if they get a good offer, since they get a 3rd round compensatory pick if they lose him in free agency. They are not paying Bell while he is out, and while they would get some salary cap relief, at this point in the season that's pretty useless. I'm not sure anyone is going to offer much better than that 3rd round draft pick for a running back of Bell's age with his mileage and past suspension issues, especially considering his salary demands.

Reggie W likes this.
  10. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I think the interesting thing about trading Bell and who may want him is that I think RBs like him work best if the team already has a good offense and passing game. Then the back compliments what is happening and makes the offense more dangerous. Look at the Cowboys. They have an excellent back but he's useless because they have no passing offense. The Cardinals have a good back and he's useless because they can't pass the ball.

I think if somebody offers them a 2nd round pick they should take it. I think that's the price. Obviously the worse the team the better a second round pick would be but Bell may be a problem with that. Rumors are the Jets tried to get him but Bell did not want to go there. I think the Steelers would have dealt him but he may have blocked the trade.

He'd probably fit in well with the Packers but I think they won't make a move unless they think Rodgers will get healthy for the rest of the season. If Rodgers goes out the Packers won't keep up with the Vikings, probably not the Bears or Lions either. So, they can just play for a draft pick then.

11. Scott Merryfield

Keep in mind that any team trading for Bell must have the salary cap room to fit his $15M pro-rated salary this season, and any team giving up a high draft pick will also want to lock him in to a new contract. No team is giving up a high pick for a partial season rental. This greatly reduces the potential trade partners.

The time to trade Bell was in the offseason, but Bell gave every indication he would report before the season began, as he did last season. His last minute change of tactics left the Steelers in a bad spot.

12. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    As Belichick is fond of saying the cap can be worked around if you want the player. So, I think if a team wants him they would pull the trigger but it would have to be either a team that really wants him or thinks adding him is worth it because they could contend. Otherwise, all these teams can also wait Bell out, let him do his thing where he reports to the Steelers in week 9 and then try to land him when he walks away from Pittsburgh at the end of the season.

I would not trade for him either unless I thought he was immediately going to make my team a contender or you are somebody like the Jets that thinks he would compliment their young QB and they want him for the long term.

That's why I think somebody like the Packers could have wanted him until Rodgers was again hobbled. The Packers have been mentioned as a team that likes Bell but I think they are conservative about making moves like that.

Bell would certainly compliment Rodgers and the passing attack there and make Green Bay's offense more of an issue to game plan against and in that division it would make the Packers much more likely to win the NFC North.

The Steelers are a swamp of dysfunction and I think adding Bell back into that may be worse for them. At least if they managed to trade him the team would not continue to wonder if or when Bell might return.

13. Scott Merryfield

There is always the option of placing Bell on administrative leave or something similar if he reports at the deadline. I don't think the Steelers really want him back in the locker room at this point. Their offense can get by without him -- we've seen that in the past with D'Angelo Williams filling in when he was suspended and injured, and Conner is doing fine this season. Bell's better than either of them, but not enough to pay that kind of money or put up with all the crap. I think he's played his last game in a Pittsburgh uniform, whether he gets traded or not. Next season hopefully they put those salary cap dollars into the defense, where the biggest issues reside with the team.

14. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    If the Cowboys do better than 8-8, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Their center being out is killing them. I was counting on their running game to open up their passing game. Not sure that's happening any time soon.

I think the Raiders are better than 0-3. Those first two games could have gone either way. But as Bill Parcells once said, "You are what your record says you are."

I'm having fun watching Cleveland. They'd be 3-0 right now if the FG kicker made a couple of chip shots. But again, "You are what your record says you are."

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Whelp, it'll take a string of miracles for my hometown Falcons to make it to the Super Bowl (they host it this season). Sigh...

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I’m watching the Chiefs/Jaguars play. The KC kicker tees up the ball for a kickoff and I pause because I see text on the ball. It reads “Crucial Catch.” What’s that about? KC sure looks good.

17. Message #37 of 52 Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    After further watching I see “Crucial Catch” on clothing of the coaches. Did CC replace Nike?

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Only five games into the season and both my teams are probably down for the count. If so I want both of them to stink as they need good draft choices to rebuild as the Giants need a QB and the Raiders need a pass rusher. In case of the Raiders they had a pass rusher, but traded him away for draft choices. The problem with that is the Raiders have basically sucked at drafting which is why they'll having problems now. The Giants haven't exactly been much better.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    That's the slogan for NFL's cancer awareness month.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  20. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, kind of odd but apparently Bell wants to come in to finish the season with the Steelers and does not want to be traded this year. It seems he really wants to become a free agent and shop his services next season and he thinks he has the best shot of putting on a good performance with the Steelers over learning a new offense this season.