What's new

NFL 2018-2019 Thread (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One more thing, I hate the Patriots, but what I hate more is the incompetence of the other AFC East teams. They made it so much easier for the Patriots because of their total incompetence in building a football organization that can challenge the Patriots in their own division. The Dolphins, Bills and Jets are embarrassments. They kind of remind me of my own embarrassment, the Raiders.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
103C256E-EA64-4403-8A2C-51A6C6D524DD.jpeg
A Chiefs vs. Rams match-up would be billed as the "Super Bowl of the Future"

I don’t think they’ll bill it that way. If those two teams are in the superbowl how can you call it the Sb of the future if it’s happening now.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One more thing, I hate the Patriots, but what I hate more is the incompetence of the other AFC East teams. They made it so much easier for the Patriots because of their total incompetence in building a football organization that can challenge the Patriots in their own division. The Dolphins, Bills and Jets are embarrassments. They kind of remind me of my own embarrassment, the Raiders.
Yeah, the Patriots have pretty much been guaranteed a division title before the season even began for the past 15 years or so. The Jets looked like they may offer some competition during the Rex Ryan era, but that faded away quickly.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Saints got screwed. That was one of the most blatant non-calls on the pass interference I have ever seen. If the penalty is called correctly, New Orleans wins on a last second field goal.

True, and you're welcome to that opinion, but I'm beyond pleased as punch that L.A. won it-- all I hope now is that the Patriots don't go stomping into K.C. and treat it like Foxboro!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That non-call at the end of the Saints / Rams game was one of the worst examples of officiating I've ever seen (regular season or playoffs.) One of those events that will forever be burned into the memories of the Saints and their fans. My sympathies to them.

- Walter.
And even with all the instant replay rules that delay the game, there was still no way to correct such a horrendous call.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Andy Reid reminds me of Marty Schottenheimer, a really good coach who had terrible luck in key moments. At the end of the day, is it Reid's fault that Dee Ford lined up in the neutral zone, thereby negating the likely game-sealing interception?

Regarding the Patriots winning so many Super Bowls: I think back to the Tuck Rule, or Pete Caroll's arrogance in throwing the ball at the one yard line when he had Lynch, or Kyle Shanahan's arrogance not to run the ball two or three times in the 4th quarter and seal the victory two years ago. I guess the Patriots win so many Super Bowls because they are better coached than other teams. And the coaches (and players like Dee Ford) of other teams make more unforced errors.

I'm not saying the Rams don't have a chance. I'm just saying they are going to have to almost be perfect. And keep their egos in check, something Caroll and Shanahan couldn't, IMO, do.

Horrific non-call in the Rams/Saints game. The NFL should be embarrassed.
There should be some kind of override button in NY when there's a really egregious call (or non-call) so this kind of thing doesn't happen. I guess the question then becomes, "What constitutes an egregious call (or non-call)?

Saints were robbed.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I know the Pro Bowl Skills Showdown airs Jan 24 at 9pm ET/PT, but I can't find out what channel it's on. Anyone know?

Likewise, I can't find the Pro Bowl either. I want to program both in my DVR, but neither are anywhere to be found.

Anyone got any info? Thanks.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Andy Reid reminds me of Marty Schottenheimer, a really good coach who had terrible luck in key moments. At the end of the day, is it Reid's fault that Dee Ford lined up in the neutral zone, thereby negating the likely game-sealing interception?

I think that is an apt analogy regarding Reid and Schottenheimer.

Is it Reid's fault that Ford lined up incorrectly? I sort of feel like it is a yes and no answer. Yes - because I've always thought that preparedness is a mark of good coaching and that well coached teams make fewer mental errors. No - because in the heat of the moment mistakes can occur and while the buck stops with the head coach, one of the assistants should be responsible for preparing the defensive linemen. In any event, that was tough break for KC.

If Reid deserves criticism for the loss, I would argue that his old nemesis (clock management) struck again. KC left too much time on the clock for Brady at the end of regulation. You can argue that if a big play is available you can't turn it down; but it seems like KC could have milked more time off of the clock vs. leaving Brady two minutes. Easier said than done, I realize; but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what Brady and the Patriots are going to do with 123 seconds at the end of the game needing a score.

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Saints got screwed. That was one of the most blatant non-calls on the pass interference I have ever seen. If the penalty is called correctly, New Orleans wins on a last second field goal.
Yes everyone feels that the officiating let the Saints down at that moment, but I think Payton let his own team down with lunk-headed play
calling (why didn’t he force the Rams to use all of their timeouts?). Sometimes experienced coaches either try to get cute, overthink the situation, or are flat out arrogant. Payton has too many games under his belt for this kind of mistake.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sportscenter on CNN does a thing on the top 10 plays, maybe it’s time for a thing on top 10 worst officiating calls. This non-call that killed the Saints would be a candidate for number one of all time.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Regarding the Patriots winning so many Super Bowls: I think back to the Tuck Rule, or Pete Caroll's arrogance in throwing the ball at the one yard line when he had Lynch, or Kyle Shanahan's arrogance not to run the ball two or three times in the 4th quarter and seal the victory two years ago. I guess the Patriots win so many Super Bowls because they are better coached than other teams. And the coaches (and players like Dee Ford) of other teams make more unforced errors.

I'm not saying the Rams don't have a chance. I'm just saying they are going to have to almost be perfect. And keep their egos in check, something Caroll and Shanahan couldn't, IMO, do.

There should be some kind of override button in NY when there's a really egregious call (or non-call) so this kind of thing doesn't happen. I guess the question then becomes, "What constitutes an egregious call (or non-call)?

Saints were robbed.

There were still almost two minutes left in the game after the negated interception, and the Patriots had three timeouts. So, it would have been possible for New England to get the ball back with around 1:30 on the clock and no timeouts -- still enough time for Brady, although it would have been a lot more difficult.

Coaching -- specifically Belichick -- is definitely the biggest reason for the Patriots amazing success. They come up with different game plans and offensive & defensive schemes every week that match up against that specific opponent. No coach has ever done that better than Belichick. Also, it was mentioned during the game yesterday that the Pats had only committed 4 defensive pass interference penalties all season. In this era where any little contact by the defender (except in yesterday's Saints loss) draws a flag, that is pretty incredible.

You rarely see the Patriots commit a killer penalty like that one where Ford lined up in the neutral zone, but a New England defender did jump offside on KC's last minute drive to stop the clock and help to setup the tying field goal at the end of regulation. It was a little shocking because it was so out of character for the team.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes everyone feels that the officiating let the Saints down at that moment, but I think Payton let his own team down with lunk-headed play
calling (why didn’t he force the Rams to use all of their timeouts?). Sometimes experienced coaches either try to get cute, overthink the situation, or are flat out arrogant. Payton has too many games under his belt for this kind of mistake.
I do not fault a coach for being aggressive in certain situations when trying to put the game away. How many times have we seen a team play ultra conservative and make an opponent use all their timeouts, yet still lose the game because they either settled for a FG instead of a game-ending TD -- or worse yet punted the ball away -- only to see that opponent still drive down and score to tie or win the game? I'd rather see a team play to win instead of going into a shell and hoping the other team fails.

One thing Peyton's done this year too often, though, is put #7 Hill under center. He did it a few times yesterday, and he's done it numerous times in other Saints games I've watched. It rarely works, and what opponent wouldn't rather see Hill taking the snap instead of future Hall of Famer Drew Brees?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I know the Pro Bowl Skills Showdown airs Jan 24 at 9pm ET/PT, but I can't find out what channel it's on. Anyone know?

Likewise, I can't find the Pro Bowl either. I want to program both in my DVR, but neither are anywhere to be found.

Anyone got any info? Thanks.
I’m pretty sure the skills stuff is on ESPN, and the Pro Bowl is on either ABC or ESPN.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One last thing on the Saints and Rams game. That missed call cost the Saints from winning the game at that time. However, afterwards, the Saints had other opportunities to win the game again and they failed to do so.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If Reid deserves criticism for the loss, I would argue that his old nemesis (clock management) struck again. KC left too much time on the clock for Brady at the end of regulation. You can argue that if a big play is available you can't turn it down; but it seems like KC could have milked more time off of the clock vs. leaving Brady two minutes.
I said the same thing about NE at the end of the game, leaving 39 seconds for Mahomes to sling it down the field. I thought NE should have run it another time or two to burn clock, but when you're behind I guess you have to take the points when they come. Sure enough Mahomes got them down there (with some help from NE penalties) very quickly.

I was amazed that Andy Reid didn't run another play or two with 11 seconds left to try and win the game rather than settling for the FG. There was time for at least one or two more quick passes to the end zone that could have won the game rather than taking the tie.

Yes, the Pro Bowl is on ESPN. Not sure if it's also simulcast on ABC or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks