What's new

NFL 2018-2019 Thread (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Reports are that the Packers have had contact with Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano about their head coaching position.

The same old stale coaches just go round-and-round-and-round. Get some fresh blood in the mix, people!

I can only imagine the Packers are going through the motions talking to those guys. It would make no sense to hire either one. Really, I think the Packers need a defensive guy as a head coach as they can't seem to field a decent defense. I know the idea in Green Bay is to get a guy that makes Rodgers happy but they could just hire an OC to deal with him and a head coach that focuses on getting a solid defense on the field.

Caldwell is supposed to be a QB guru and his track record shows that. So, hiring him as your OC and Rodgers' binky would work...but not your head coach.

Rodgers is said to want Josh McDaniels but the Browns are going to make a big pitch for him too and the rumors are Josh likes what he is seeing from Baker Mayfield.

So, Green Bay needs to have a back-up plan if they lose McDaniels to the Browns. I also think if the Packers hire a defensive head coach that would get Rodgers knickers all in a twist. Rodgers should really stay out of the coaching decision in Green Bay but chances are he won't.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wonder if Mayfield would want McDaniels? He's doing much better with the interim coach, and it doesn't sound like he had much love for Hue Jackson regardless of where he ended up after being fired. Mayfield seems highly opinionated about his coaches, and it sounds like he's just fine with things the way they are now. He is a rookie and obviously doesn't have the power to veto hiring a new coach, but you also don't want him to regress next season by forcing a bad choice on him.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I wonder if Mayfield would want McDaniels? He's doing much better with the interim coach, and it doesn't sound like he had much love for Hue Jackson regardless of where he ended up after being fired. Mayfield seems highly opinionated about his coaches, and it sounds like he's just fine with things the way they are now. He is a rookie and obviously doesn't have the power to veto hiring a new coach, but you also don't want him to regress next season by forcing a bad choice on him.

I think that the teams with young QBs all want to create a Goff/McVay situation and the leading candidate for that seems to be McDaniels. Yes, I don't think the Browns will give any consideration to what Mayfield wants and I think Mayfield would probably think he won the lottery if he ended up with Tom Brady's guy.

I think most people worry about how McDaniels did in Denver and they should worry about if you can get the guy to even show up after what he did to the Colts.

I would not worry about the Denver thing but I would worry about getting Josh to leave New England.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wonder if McDaniels is having any second thoughts about the Colts job? They're having a decent season and Luck looks healthy. But you've still got a wacko owner to deal with in Jim Irsay (though he's been pretty quiet lately).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I wonder if McDaniels is having any second thoughts about the Colts job? They're having a decent season and Luck looks healthy. But you've still got a wacko owner to deal with in Jim Irsay (though he's been pretty quiet lately).

Probably not. The situation in Indy is far from fixed and nothing but Irsay selling the team fixes him being there. Honestly, I can't believe McDaniels even bit on that job. Plus I believe the situation with Luck is still questionable. The word is his arm is not at 100% and he is forced to just throw a lot of short passes because of it.

The Colts big mistake with McDaniels is they never got him to sign anything. They only had a verbal agreement but I mean McDaniels was hiring staff so there was no reason not to believe he was coming. To me it still reflects poorly on McDaniels because of how he stiffed those guys he hired and then abruptly abandoned.

If the Browns or Packers land him I would make sure I have a signed deal that legally binds him prior to announcing him as head coach. Plus I mean were I one of the guys Josh wants to hire as staff I would want to see that signed agreement prior to signing anything myself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Colts got the right man for their HC job. I have a higher opinion on Reich than I do McDaniels. I want to see how McDaniels is without Tom Brady.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Colts got the right man for their HC job. I have a higher opinion on Reich than I do McDaniels. I want to see how McDaniels is without Tom Brady.

...or Bellichick. His former assistants have a terrible track record as head coaches. It's amazing that the greatest HC of the Super Bowl era has the worst "coaching tree" of the era.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
We already saw that for a bit when he was the coach of the Broncos a few years back.

...or Bellichick. His former assistants have a terrible track record as head coaches. It's amazing that the greatest HC of the Super Bowl era has the worst "coaching tree" of the era.
Must be they're not capable of learning anything from him. Though it's also a "do your job/stay in your lane" culture so Belichick probably wants them to concentrate on their specific jobs rather than training them to be well-rounded HC candidates. I also place the blame on owners/GM's who seem to think that success in one position on one team will somehow automatically translate to success in a different position on a different team.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Black Monday in the NFL with a bunch of coach firings and the Raiders hire Mike Mayock as their GM.:rolleyes:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Black Monday in the NFL with a bunch of coach firings and the Raiders hire Mike Mayock as their GM.:rolleyes:
No worries, Robert. Hiring a GM out of the broadcast booth worked great for the Lions. :laugh:

So far the Browns, Packers, Cardinals, Bucs, Jets, Dolphins, Broncos and Bengals are in the market for a new head coach. I don't think Zimmer is safe in Minnesota, either, after their very disappointing season after spending all that money on Cousins.

I'm shocked that Mike Brown finally fired Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati. Lewis should have been let go at least three years ago.

One team that will not be firing their coach, but probably should consider it is Pittsburgh. I think it's time for Mike Tomlin to go. The 2nd half of this season was a disaster -- the team went from 7-2-1 and fighting for a first round bye to missing the playoffs. In the process they lost to a horrible Raiders team and an easily beatable Denver team, and came out flat against a very bad Bengals team with the season on the line. Tomlin's in game management has been quite bad, his teams play down to the level of inferior opponents, the special teams are awful, and he's wasting Big Ben's last few competitive seasons. They even gave up 45 points in the playoffs last year to a team quarterbacked by Blake Bortles!

I know the Steelers do not fire head coaches -- it's been 50 years since they last did -- but I think the players are beginning to tune him out, and he and the team have both become complacent. It's time for a change in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree, Pittsburgh needs to send Tomlin packing. He seems to have lost all competency in coaching. Completely ridiculous that they went 2-4 over their last six games against some awful teams and still needed to pin their hopes on THE BROWNS!!!! to get them to the playoffs. I'll never forgive them for making me cheer/root for Baker Mayfield against the Ravens. I feel dirty.

On the other hand, the Browns did pretty well with their interim coaches after they got rid of the cancer that was Hue Jackson. I think they would do well to consider keeping the interim people as permanent hires.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hue Jackson is probably the next HC of the Bengals.

I think it's time for Tomlin to go, but he'll get another HC job in just a matter of weeks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
“Pain”

I’ll take the Eagles.
Don’t care about the other games but I’ll watch.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Home teams are favored in all games, which is mostly OK with me though I always love to see the Cowboys lose so I'll be cheering for Seahawks in that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks