1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Regular Season Discussion

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I would say that's it for Ryan as a head coach. Excellent DC, but not a good head coach. He and Jeff Fisher were two guys that certainly needed to go. Can't see anybody bringing these guys back as head coaches in the NFL.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I'm not surprised that Ryan got canned. As Robert said, though, the Bills need more than just a new coach. There's not much talent on that team, which is a failure of the front office.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Sean Peyton and Marvin Lewis. Both have been with their teams for a long time, but both franchises really need a change. Peyton could end up with the Rams if he leaves the Saints.

3. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    I think the Pack needs a new DC, but..... Even if Capers retires, I'm not sure if I'd want Lewis, Ryan, or Fisher as DC in GB.

4. Scott Merryfield

Lots of NFL games today, but only a few have any meaning. I think the Lions hopes for making the postseason are in the hands of the Redskins, as I do not see them beating the Packers tonight. Their only hope is that the game is in Detroit -- if it was in Green Bay it would be an iron-clad lock for the Pack.

In order for Tampa to make the playoffs, seven different outcomes have to all happen -- including a tie between Washington and the Giants. I wonder if Vegas is posting odds for them making the postseason?

Cleveland has a real chance to start a winning streak, as Pittsburgh is resting Big Ben, Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown in a meaningless game. The Steelers are locked into the #3 seed in the AFC. I'm not sure if a Browns win could lose them the #1 overall draft pick, though. They could tie San Fran at 2-14, and I do not know who gets the tiebreaker (it's based on strength of schedule, but I do not know which team "wins" that contest).

5. Message #245 of 478 Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, the Bears are going to keep John Fox according to the rumor mill and Marvin Lewis is going to keep his job with the Bengals. Both of these are interesting decisions and I think were the two primary landing spots for Josh McDaniels...or at least where I think he mostly wanted to go. So, open jobs so far are:

Rams - Reason to take this job: Everything is on the table. Everybody, including the NFL wants this team to succeed. The NFL wants LA to be a major market for them. So, you get big money, loads of perks, loads of support. Downside: Goff is your QB and you are stuck trying to see if he can become an NFL QB. This means you are highly likely to bet your job on a guy you had no part in picking.

Bills - Reason to take this job: Solid ownership. Downside: Rex Ryan tends to leave teams in a mess. You've got a lot of work to do and Buffalo tends not to be a place players will chose to go if they have a choice.

Jaguars - Reason to take this job: Lots of talent on this team. Downside: Lousy market that is used to losing. Whoever comes in to coach here needs to really know how to turn a team around. I like Coughlin for this job.

49ers - Reason to take this job: None. Bad team, with bad ownership, and players that don't want to play for them. Everybody wants out of San Francisco. Downside: Pretty much everything. This team truly needs an enema. Can it be done? Sure, look at the Raiders right now. Is it likely to happen soon? No way. They are going to be firing head coaches for a while and the example they set with Jim Harbaugh will haunt them for some time. Hey, Jeff Fisher is available and so is Rex Ryan. Enjoy, Niners fans.

So far these are the options. I don't actually see any of these being jobs that would top McDaniels list.The Rams job is attractive because it offers so much to the coach that comes in but also may handcuff that coach to Goff which may not be something a new coach wants. The 49ers are cleaning house so there will be a fresh start there but they now have the reputation as a team that has really terrible ownership issues. The number one thing Bill Belichick tells his coaches is if you are looking at a head coaching position the first thing you need to look at is the ownership. This above all else he says will be central to your ability to be a success. This alone makes me think the 49ers would not be on McDaniels' list. The 49ers look to be in the position the Raiders were in for a long time, having to settle for a head coach that nobody else wants...some guy that's been around and is looking for one last chance or some guy that just wants a shot to coach an NFL team.

I thought Pagano and Grigson would get fired and so the Colts would be on the list of teams searching for HC and GM...but oddly Irsay is said to be thinking of keeping them both. If anybody in the NFL has earned his walking papers it is Ryan Grigson who has destroyed Andrew Luck's career so far and BLAMED Luck for the issues with the team...which clearly are issues Grigson created. However, Irsay is known to be one of the worst human beings in the NFL and so the big question is who the hell would want to work for this a-hole. So, even if that job opens up and it comes with the bonus of having a true franchise QB already in place...I think the potential of McDaniels going there, if he listens to Bill, would be zero.

Looking at all of this I wonder if McDaniels will once again remove his name from the list of potential head coaches. The four teams above are all major rebuilding projects with a lot of issues to confront...some including ownership.

I would love to see Tom Coughlin back coaching again and the Jags and Bills are said to be interested. They say Coughlin wants to stay on the east coast and he does still own a home in Jacksonville.

6. Scott Merryfield

Rumor is that Kubiak may step down in Denver due to health reasons. McDaniel would not be an option there, though.

Yes, right now the Niners has to be the worst job in the league. They will have to settle for a lesser candidate. Meanwhile, I think it's time for Chip Kelly to return to the college game.

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    And the Chargers play their last game as San Diego Chargers. It's fitting it's a loss and they fire the coach.

8. Scott Merryfield

Kirk Cousins and the Skins choked away their playoff chance. What a terrible performance by that offense against an opponent with nothing to play for.

The Lions back into the playoffs, having beaten a single team with a winning record - - Washington at 8-7-1. That means they didn't beat a single playoff team. Also, when you consider they won eight games as fourth quarter comebacks, they also struggled in most of their wins versus bad teams. Seattle will destroy them next weekend.

The Packers - Giants game should be the best first round match up. Both teams are playing very well, and have QBs who have won before.

Poor Oakland. Their QB situation went from bad to worse. The only bright spot is they get to play a struggling Houston team with its own QB troubles. The winner of this game should get bounced easily the following weekend.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Looks like seven coaching changes and still counting. As to Oakland, I'm just happy they made the playoffs as I think they're a year early. Besides having good luck staying healthy, they need some more defensive help before they're a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

10. Scott Merryfield

The Raiders losing out on the #2 seed makes Pittsburgh's playoff path much tougher, too. If they can get by Miami, they now will have to travel to Arrowhead and then to New England in order to make it to the Super Bowl. The Pats are pretty much a lock to get to the AFC Championship game, and the Chiefs are playing very well and are tough at home. It would have been much easier for the Steelers getting to play a depleted Oakland team in the 2nd round.

I am surprised at the number of coaching changes, since there were so many coaches who had only been on the job 1-2 years. While I don't think Rex Ryan or Chip Kelly are very good NFL coaches, they sure didn't get much time in their current spots. Kubiak's decision, while unexpected, is not that surprising. He was reluctant to take the Denver job in the first place, and had turned down some offers before taking his first head coaching job in Houston. The demands and long hours of the job never seemed to be something he wanted to deal with, and I certainly do not blame him.

Meanwhile, Marvin Lewis survives another year in Cincinnati, which surprises me. Lewis has the most playoff appearances without any postseason wins in NFL history, and the team never seemed to recover from its playoff implosion last year. The Bengals really need a change.

The worst thing about the Lions making the playoffs is it probably means Jim Caldwell will be around for a couple more years. The team is not as good as it's record indicates, and I do not think Caldwell is a good head coach -- he's better suited to be an assistant. He seems like a nice guy and is well-liked by the players, but his in game management is really lacking.

11. Message #251 of 478 Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I'm not surprised really that the Chargers fired McCoy but he did have to coach a team that was absolutely devastated by injuries and still had them playing well at least for half of a game in most games. However the Chargers also often were a team that committed horrible mistakes over and over and over again...and McCoy and his staff never seemed able to correct these errors...that was not good reflection on McCoy. The AFC West appeared to be the best division in the conference so the Chargers did not have an easy schedule and they had a stretch of about 8 weeks where they seemed to lose one star player after another to major injuries. Horrible year for the team. All this and playing under the threat of the team moving.

Oddly, the rumor is the guy currently topping the Chargers list to interview is Patriots Defensive Coordinator Matt Patricia. And the Rams also want to interview Patricia on the chance they can't get McDaniels. The issue is Patricia supposedly does not want to be a head coach right now so I will be surprised if he takes a job. There is a story about him getting really grouchy about the fact that teams want to interview him...he is a guy that supposedly hates the spotlight and does not like dealing with the media. I expect he will stay put in New England.

The Broncos are supposedly looking at two guys and the lead candidate is Kyle Shanahan. They are also said to like Vance Joseph but in all honestly...I think Vance Joseph is one of the guys every team will interview to fulfill league requirements and the only place he might end up is somewhere like San Francisco...because again...why would any coach want to step into that mess and have to deal with Jed York unless they are just looking for a shot at any head coaching position. I think if Elway wants Shanahan, Elway gets Shanahan.

McDaniels is set to interview with the 49ers I believe but I have to think this is a courtesy visit only on his part. He's also interviewing for the Jags and Rams of course.

If McDaniels wants to be a head coach again I think he should not have taken his name off the list last year when the Giants were interested in him. Good job, good team, good ownership in a huge premier market for the league. Plus Belichick and Giants ownership love each other. I have to think the reason he did that was because he thought he may have a shot at the Bears or Bengals job in 2017...but now both of those jobs are not opening up. I can't see why he would now go to coach the Jags or Rams or the disaster 49ers. Seriously, if he goes to take any of those jobs they come with horrible baggage as well as having to turn around the team. I think he should wait another year. Why not stick with the Patriots and likely pile up another winning season? You are still going to get big money offers in 2018. He was horrible in Denver, which is fine, as long as when another team gives you a shot you are not horrible again...and the places he has to choose from could all be horrible spots for him.

So, the Broncos job is obviously the best one available. Elway will probably easily lock up who he wants. I have to think this is pretty much a lock for Shanahan. This is a playoff ready team with a couple young QBs and Elway who I don't think would handcuff a coach to any QB so no worries if Paxton Lynch turns out not to be the guy. Elway will just go get another guy.

The Chargers job comes with a team with some excellent talent but with the downside of where are they going to be playing and the turmoil that might generate for the team. I honestly have no feel for who will get this job. I don't think Patricia will take it. I don't think they have reached out to McDaniels though he could add them to his California swing doing interviews with the Rams and 49ers. Why not add the Chargers. At least he would have a great QB in place he could work with in Rivers. I don't think the Chargers care about making a "splash" signing the way the Rams want to so really...they could pluck all sorts of people from just about anywhere. They are interviewing Vance Joseph as is every other team looking for a coach...league requirement after all.

12. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop

OK, so here are my picks...

Raiders at Texans - Texans. The Raiders look like they are in free fall and Del Rio is just a horrible coach. In a battle of back-up to the back-up QB's the Texans defense is savage and gets the job done.

Lions at Seahawks - Lions. In a total shocker an angry Lions team wins the game on a 4th quarter drive in a low scoring game where the Seahawks offense again fails to show up.

Dolphins at Steelers - Steelers. All the Steelers need to do is stop the Dolphins running attack and get up early.

Giants at Packers - Packers. In a very cold game with hopefully some snowfall, the Pack's offense continues to work and they take out the Giants.

13. Scott Merryfield

Lions over Seahawks, Reggie? Are you insane? Detroit has not won a road playoff game since the 1950's and the team is 3-18 versus teams with a winning record under Caldwell (with only one road win). Even if they get angry, the Lions still suck.

For my picks, I will take the home team in all four games.

14. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Seems unfair the Raiders have to travel with their vastly superior record to their opponent. It's one thing if it was just a game or two, but sheesh. Raiders can't catch a break.

Kirk Cousins never should have tried to make that intercepted pass on 1st down with time on the clock. Or second down. Or third down. You only make that pass on 4th down. He should have just thrown it away. If the Skins pay him a lot of money, they are nuts.

I wonder if KC could conceivably go into Foxboro and beat the Patriots? If not them, who?

15. Message #255 of 478 Jan 4, 2017
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, yes, I probably am insane but hey, that makes life interesting. I have a feeling nobody is going to pick the Lions in this game so I felt compelled to. Plus, I like Stafford. The kid is tough and a gamer...and come on he has had a good season and really become a leader on that team. So, I'd like to see him get this win. Will it be pretty tough sledding...sure, Seattle is a tough place to play and they tend to be very good when they are home. Plus I think a lot of "experts" are picking them to suddenly become awesome in the playoffs and get back to the Super Bowl.

I agree Caldwell is a good guy and good with QBs, which was why he was hired...but like McCoy in San Diego the team often looks like they don't know what they are supposed to be doing in some situations so as a head coach there is something missing there in terms of overall team preparation. This is why the Lions play so many close games, they have talent but things breakdown in terms of situational football. That is on the coaches.

So, I know, the Seahawks should certainly be heavily favored in the game but I am rooting for the Lions. Hey, this kind of situation can be when a surprise happens. I think the biggest surprise on Wild Card Weekend would be the Lions beating the Seahawks and then probably if the Dolphins beat the Steelers. The other games really could go either way because you have teams playing with back-up QBs and the Giants and Packers are both teams that can do odd things.

DavidJ likes this.
  16. Message #256 of 478 Jan 4, 2017
    Scott Merryfield

I think the Chiefs are the only team in the AFC with a legitimate chance of keeping the Pats from the Super Bowl. The Steelers have struggled against New England (and their defense cannot slow down Brady), Miami and Oakland are missing their QBs, and Houston never had a QB to begin with (and they are missing their best player in Watt).

In the NFC, though, you could make an argument for any of the teams except Detroit against the Patriots in the Super Bowl, although any of them would be an underdog. Dallas has a well-balanced team (but relies on two rookies in key roles), Atlanta has a scary offense (but has yet to prove it can win when it matters), while Seattle, Green Bay and the Giants have all proven in the past that they can win (and NY and the Packers are both playing very well).

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I would be surprised but not shocked if the Lions win. Seattle has been kind of Jekyll & Hyde this season, especially on offense.

Speaking as a (surprise!) Pats fan, the Chiefs are the only AFC team that scares me. On the other hand, they scared me last season, and turned out to be no threat. Last year is last year, though.

I feel bad for the Raiders. I would be really shocked if they get past Houston. Of course, if the over/under is in double digits, I'm taking the under, so anything could happen. :)

Here's a weird thought I've heard: If McDaniels takes another job, Chip Kelly could replace him in NE!

18. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Can someone explain to me why Chip Kelly is so highly regarded? I understand what he did in college, but this is the pros and has consistently failed to deliver. So lay it on me. Why is Chip Kelly "all that"?

19. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    He's been an NFL head coach for four seasons, two of which were pretty good (both 10-6, where his predecessor went 4-12), and one of the bad ones was with a franchise that was a complete disaster before he arrived. IMO his NFL career still qualifies as a "small sample size."

If Jeff Fisher could last as long as he did, Kelly certainly deserves another chance! :)

DavidJ likes this.
  20. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Kelly's coaching record is 28-35. It will be interesting to see if someone in the pros hires him again or if he ends up back in college.

I wonder if Fisher is done. My guess is yes.