1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Regular Season Discussion

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Message #201 of 478 Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    According to most coaches running a college football program is much better and less stressful than working at the NFL level...Harbaugh claimed that the Michigan job was his dream job. Well, he has it and so far has quickly turned around the team and the future looks bright. So, I agree I don't expect him to leave. My feeling when he took the job was he would probably stay at least a decade. This would give him time to turn the team into exactly what he wants and show off a winning record. I expect Harbaugh to do well at Michigan so his stock will remain high as a coach and so his name will continue to come up when there is a coaching vacancy in the NFL. I think he knows this. So, basically he can return to the NFL whenever he wants. Does not need to be now. Other people seem to think he has a 5 year window, then his restlessness will take over and he will want another challenge. Some people seem to feel Harbaugh will lose his mind if he stays in a job too long and so there is no way he stays a decade at Michigan. I don't know, I just know he is a weirdo.

So, the question is, does he want to coach in the NFL again and if so when? We all know they will continue to knock on his door.

The Rams are willing to pay him more than Michigan can offer. The Rams are willing to give him full control of football operations, the draft, his roster...so it's the entire package. It will be the best head coaching offer in the history of the NFL. So, the question will be, will the egomaniac turn that down to stay coaching his favorite college program? It's Ann Arbor vs. Los Angeles.

They will throw the world at him because the NFL would also love to have him back coaching a team in a city they would like to be one of the "premier" cities for the NFL. State of the art new facilities coming which he likely would also have a say in.

Jim will have a big decision to make and a lot on the table. He is going to have to turn down a lot if he says no to the Rams. The Rams have identified him as their number one target.

Here will be the big tip off...

If Jim quickly takes his name out of the running for the Rams job and says he is not going anywhere...then we know he really wants to stay in Michigan. The best way not to get tempted by an offer is not to listen to it.

If Jim says nothing and listens to the Rams offer and leaves his name out there as a possibility...then the Michigan people should start to sweat. There is going to be a lot of money involved here and this will be the best coaching offer in the history of the NFL that will also come with a ton of perks.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

He did that a couple of evenings ago at the team's annual end of season dinner. People close to Harbaugh say he was actually pissed at being so closely linked to the job, as he felt it was a tactic by rival coaches to hurt him in recruiting. He's not taking the Rams job.

I understand that Harbaugh will be linked to lots of NFL openings over the next few years. He's an elite coach, so it's only natural. However, Michigan is not just another job for him. Not only is it is alma mater, but he also grew up in Ann Arbor around the program, since his dad was an assistant coach under Bo from 1973-79. Jim was a ball boy for the team as a kid, and he and brother John would hang around the team facilities -- including Bo's office. He only spent his high school years in California when dad became a head coach out there.

As for Michigan being able to compete financially with the NFL, I doubt that will be much of an issue, either, due to the wealthy alumni. When Michigan was courting Harbaugh for the job, Miami Dolphins owner Steven Ross (an alumnus) wrote the school a check for $50million and told them to get Harbaugh. It's crazy the amount of money some alums give to the athletic program. Plus, with $100 per ticket (non-student tickets) plus seat license fees in a stadium that seats over 110,000, they are just raking in the money.

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I don't think it is a tactic of rival coaches...I think the Rams just really want him and so does the NFL. It's good that he said that at the dinner and all he has to do to shut the whole thing down is just put out a public statement that he is not taking the Rams job because he wants to remain in Michigan.

The speculation continued because the Rams have not crossed him off the list yet.

I'm sure the Michigan people, like everybody else, know that this kind of thing will keep happening as long as Harbaugh remains a hot item...which will likely continue for some time.

4. Message #204 of 478 Dec 15, 2016
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Harbaugh's not leaving Michigan as he has unfinished business which is beat Ohio State and get in college playoffs for a chance at a National Championship. One day, he might return to the NFL, but not in the next several months.

5. Scott Merryfield

There is that reason, too. When you look at Harbaugh's age (he's just turned 53), if he sticks at Michigan for the next 7-10 years he will be of an age where it's unlikely he even wants to try the NFL again. I think it may be a situation similar to Nick Saban, who was once considered the "Larry Brown" of football coaches, jumping from job to job (Cleveland Browns, Michigan State, LSU, Miami Dolphins, etc.). Once he got to Alabama, which is another one of those very top elite college jobs, he finally decided to stay put.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The difference is that Harbaugh is an NFL guy. Though Saban has coached in the NFL as an assistant and HC, Harbaugh spent most of his adult life in the NFL. Therefore, I think he might go back one day because it's in his blood.

7. Scott Merryfield

I do not get where Harbaugh is an "NFL" guy. He's held college head coaching jobs at University of San Diego as well as Stanford and Michigan, and was an assistant coach for his dad at Western Kentucky. He's held only two NFL coaching jobs - head coach with the 49ers and QB coach for the Raiders. I really think his style works better with college players than NFL professional players. And his father was a lifelong college coach.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    So you're just dismissing his 15 years as an NFL QB? While Nick Saban never sniffed the NFL as a player. By the way, I'm disputing his coaching style being a better fit for college, but that's not the argument here. I think he has unfinished business in the NFL too.

9. Scott Merryfield

No, but he also had 4 years as a top level college QB, too. ;) We'll just have to disagree on this one, as I think he's just as much, if not more, a "college" guy as an "NFL" one. I do agree that his competitive nature with his brother probably tugs at him some, though, as John has a Super Bowl win while Jim only has a runner-up finish (against his brother, too).

10. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

The money is great at Michigan but let's face it, it's only college ball in the end.

Within 3 years he'll be back in the NFL.

I was surprised at the cost of non student tickets, anyone that would spend a $100 for
    a college game really needs to get a life.

I guess I've left the college game behind.

Dheiner likes this.
  11. Scott Merryfield

Michigan ticket prices have doubled over the past 5 to 7 years, so yes they have gotten expensive. I usually go to one or two games a year, as one of my best friends has season tickets. Even with the tight, uncomfortable bench seats, I enjoy attending the college games much more than the NFL. Of course, the only NFL games I have been to are Lions games, so that may not be a fair comparison. :)

12. Scott Merryfield

I just flipped on the Thursday night game, and thought there was something wrong with my television. Those Seattle jerseys are the ugliest things I've seen in awhile. Yuck!

13. Message #213 of 478 Dec 15, 2016
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    Or perhaps you're too much of a Wolverine fan to fully accept my points.:) I don't think there is any chance that Jim Harbaugh remains a college HC for the rest of his coaching career.

Dheiner likes this.
  14. Scott Merryfield

No, that could never happen. :lol: Anyway, it will take several years before we know which of us is correct on this one. Hopefully we'll both still be here so one of us can say "I told you so". :cheers:

15. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I agree with Robert that Harbaugh still entertains the idea of a return to the NFL. There are rumors out there that he has said this...that he might go back someday. I also agree that it won't be now. I mean the Rams will make him a giant offer, $100 million dollar contract and full control of the team...but I do think as a "Michigan guy" he does want to create a track record of beating the snot out of Ohio State and College Championships before he makes that return. I just think the guy has this drive to win at every level and I think if he brings success to the Wolverines he will feel satisfied enough to go off and take another shot in the NFL. Actually, it is this insane obsession with winning that makes him a great coach. What is it with Michigan guys and their laser focus on beating people? I mean Tom Brady also is this way. Word is the guy reacts badly if he loses a board game.

So, it is out what Jon Gruden has on his list if he is ever to make a return to the NFL. People close to him though question if he is serious about ever coaching again and think he just likes the attention and people coming to talk to him about coaching positions. So, the Rams job is out for Gruden because the number one item on his list is any team he would coach has to already have a top franchise QB in place. He will not coach a team that needs to conduct a QB search through the draft or free agency. He says it is too hard and can take too long to find a good QB. He does not want to develop a QB so coaching Goff is not an option. I find this odd because on television he loves to sit down with young QBs and chat with them as if he knows exactly how to develop them...I guess that is just for TV. He also would prefer to step into a team that is already in good shape, meaning all the parts to win immediately are already there. Gruden says he will not step into a rebuilding project that could make him look bad if he fails.

So, that leaves very few teams that Gruden might be willing to coach because very few teams have a top level franchise QB and teams with all the parts in place to win typically are not on a coaching search. Teams like the Colts and Chargers have a top level franchise QB so Gruden maybe would entertain those and he seems not to care if the owner is an A-hole so he seems like he may not mind somebody like Irsay. However, I tend to believe the rumor he does not want to coach he just wants to be offered coaching jobs. The hilarious rumor is that he would now agree to step back into the Raiders job...now that they look like a good team again and they have Carr...which is obviously not happening because they are not going to fire Del Rio while he is winning. They should but they won't. So, to me it seems obvious that Gruden is just screwing with anybody that talks to him about coaching again. He likes the Raiders because they have a good core of talent and young players, they are 10-3, Carr looks like the real deal, and they have potential now to go on a several year run of playoff appearances and potential Super Bowl runs.

"Now that they are good again, sure I will coach them!"

Nice, Jon.

16. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    There's a big difference between sitting down with a young QB to offer him guidance and actually being responsible for building a winning team around one of them.

17. Scott Merryfield

I think Jon Gruden is another Bill Cowher situation -- a young, successful coach who steps away to life in the broadcast booth, is constantly rumored for new coaching positions, but stays put in television. Being a head coach is a hard life, requiring an incredible number of work hours per day. Life in television is so much easier. After being away from coaching for a few years, it would be very difficult to resume such a demanding job, IMO.

18. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    The Rams have officially crossed Harbaugh off their list (and Gruden as well) apparently at Jim's own request.

Now the rumor is McDaniels has moved to the top of their list. With the Patriots obviously going to be active during the playoffs, if this is the case, it won't happen for a while.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    From what I've heard, Gruden makes 7M a year from ESPN which is on par for top coaching gigs while working 3 days a week instead of sleeping in your office like NFL coaches do during the season.

20. Message #220 of 478 Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Exactly. Gruden is all set and in a job he really loves. He may still fantasize about coaching but then my bet is the reality sets in and he thinks..."Nah."

Plus he has set a really high bar for going back. He basically wants a guarantee of a winning team so he looks good.

So, my prediction for today is that we are going to see Tony Romo actually get some game action. All the rumors are that Jerry Jones desperately wants Romo back on the field and to lead the team into the playoffs. There are also a lot of Cowboy fans wanting Dak to get the hook because he has not played well the last few games. I have feeling Jones may insist if the Cowboys get behind against the Buccaneers that Romo gets into the game.

I would worry that if you pull the kid to play Tony you may shatter his confidence and then if you have to go back to him he might not be as confident as he looked most of the season on the field. Basically, I think the team can play well with either QB out there because the real heart of the offense all season has been Elliott and the running game. I think Jones and others though feel that in the playoffs Romo is the guy that will be able to make a crucial play in the passing game (plus he can run more of the offense and audible at the line of scrimmage) and they trust him more than Dak to be able to do this. Problem is Romo has not played in a long time so he needs to knock the rust off if he is going to be their playoff QB.

So, Dak will be playing today with the hook hanging over him and if they get down against the Buccs or struggle...Romo will be itching to get in there and Jones will want that to happen.