1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Regular Season Discussion

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I think Houston makes the most sense for Romo. The team has been competitive with awful quarterbacking the past two seasons. They could be a contender if Romo could somehow stay healthy - - but that's a big "if". I cannot see Dallas getting much in a trade, so it's a matter of finding a team willing to take on his salary and gambling he will not get injured yet again.

An "out there" idea if there are no good starting jobs would be Pittsburgh. The Steelers have been looking for a decent backup to Ben, who misses some games most seasons. Not sure if Romo would fit salary cap wise, though.

2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I believe Romo does not want to be a back-up. I think if he were open to remaining a back-up he would likely stay in Dallas, it really is the best possible option for him. Jones loves the guy and wants to hire him to work for the team when he is done playing. So, I think Jerry would keep him but I think it is Romo that is looking for a chance to start somewhere.

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Really, why do you say that, Patrick? Bill and Chip are buddies and the Niners have a desperate need for a QB. I mean of the guys that will probably be available Garoppolo seems by far the best option out there. Why do you think they have ruled him out? I mean Jay Cutler will likely be available but Jimmy seems a far better fit for Kelly's style of play.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Unless Garoppolo is only looking for the big paycheck, I'd think he'd stay far away from the dumpster fire that seemingly always surrounds Chip Kelly. I don't understand why that man is still employed as an NFL coach.

5. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

The Niners aren't one or two players away from being good, they need a lot of bodies and giving away draft picks for a rather average QB is not in the cards.

6. Scott Merryfield

Because the 49ers are a dumpster fire of an organization, so they need a dumpster fire head coach. :)

7. Scott Merryfield

That was a wild one between the Raiders and Panthers yesterday. It was also a perfect example of why a team shouldn't chance points too early because of a missed XP. The Panthers went for two twice in the 3rd quarter and failed both times after having an XP blocked. Those two points would have led to Oakland only going for 1 point on their 4th quarter TD, and then Janikowski's FG late in the game would have been just for a tie instead of the lead.

I didn't think the kickoff of the Lions game would happen until Sunday instead of on Thursday due to Aretha Franklin's "Woodstock concert" (aka the national anthem). That has to be the worst rendition of the anthem I've ever heard.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    upload_2016-11-28_13-47-23.

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I thought the Raiders-Panthers game was crazy until I saw the Chiefs-Broncos game. Holy schnikes!

10. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

This thread really has gone dead, no one commenting on Gronkowski?

His surgery was successful but he is done for the season.

11. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    It's pretty lousy that Gronk is out but I dislike it when any team loses a key player to injury. I thought they were going to leave their options open so that if he could return for the Super Bowl he could.

Mostly, I want to see an AFC Championship game featuring the Raiders going to Foxboro to face the Patriots in a blizzard. That would be fantastic.

Malcolm R likes this.
  12. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Gronk is becoming the Pats' Tony Romo, apparently made of glass and injured more often than not. The Pats usually find a way to win, with or without him. I think it's a bigger issue for the talking heads on the sports shows than it is for the Pats or the fans. Just as Brady replaced Bledsoe, and Prescott replaced Romo, eventually there will be someone to replace Gronk.

13. Scott Merryfield

Tight ends like Gronk are not easy to find. The Pats will really miss him.

Another game was decided by a failed conversion attempt being returned for two points -- this time the Chiefs beat the Broncos in such a manner. Will we see a team take a knee on an extra point attempt at the end of the game at some point? It's a valid strategy, IMO.

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Tuck it! :D

They put Gronk on the IR so his roster spot would be available for someone else (DJ Foster it turns out, who looked pretty good in the preseason).

You are allowed to pull one player off IR, but they used that up on Jacoby Brissett the day before Gronk's surgery, I think.

Reggie W likes this.
  15. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    Chiefs beat the Raiders 21-13. YAY!

Hopefully the Vikes can right the ship this Sunday against the Jags.
    I am already looking forward to them drafting an offense lineman or two in 2017.

16. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    And the road to the Super Bowl once again goes through Foxboro, where it belongs. :thumbsup:

17. Scott Merryfield

I hope the Pats take care of business Monday night against the Ravens. That would put the Steelers alone in first place in their division.

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Word is the Steelers may have put Rex out of a job, too.

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Some general thoughts...

Who came up with the Lions schedule for this season? The Lions go to New York to play the Giants Sunday, then are at Dallas, then finish with a home game against the resurgent Packers which could actually be the game that decides the NFC North. Fasten your seat belts Lions fans, your playoff season has already begun. Matt Stafford deserves to make the playoffs. The guy is the fourth quarter comeback king this season and has become a tremendous team leader and a better QB without Calvin Johnson. He's playing with a broken finger and still getting it done.

The Packers though also have already begun their playoff season and stomped a lousy looking Seahawks team to get that kicked off. They go to Chicago to play a horrible Bears squad this Sunday then are home against the Vikings, who are in the same spot having to win out, and then get that big game at Detroit. Basically, I hope my prediction that two teams from the NFC North make the playoffs holds true because I'd like to see both the Lions and Packers in there.

If you watched the Patriots destroy the Ravens on MNF (and they did destroy them outside of two horrible special teams fumbles over the course of about a minute and 20 seconds) I think you have to be amazed at how ridiculously good Tom Brady is at 39 years old. The guy is hands down the best QB in football and I would say is putting the exclamation point on the fact he is the greatest to ever have played the position. Brady moves better in the pocket at 39 than he did at 29...hell, I think better than he could have at 19. He loses offensive weapons right and left and still shreds one of the best defenses in the NFL and makes it look like it is no harder than lying on the couch in his Uggs. His skills at reading and dissecting an opposing defense both pre and post snap are off the charts.

Second amazing Patriots item...Dante Scarnecchia! How is it possible for a coach to totally remake and vastly improve an offensive line in a single season without an injection of talented players? I mean the Patriots offensive line was terrible last season. Add Dante, and suddenly massive improvement. They have gotten better as the season has gone on. Not just at pass protection but in the running game as well. Which leads to...

Third amazing Patriots item...LeGarrette Blount! This guy has been a one man wrecking ball this season and is pretty much having the best year of his career at 30. He's run over, jumped over, ran through, and basically punched opposing defenses in the mouth all season. He's already over 1000 yards and has scored more TDs than any back in the NFL with 14. Is he on Brady's diet and workout regime or what? I mean as far as I knew Blount was a massive pothead (as were some key players on defense...which led to benching and trading players at an unusual clip...Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins and enjoying the bench Jabaal Sheard? All likely pot related moves.) but that's not something that would ever enter Brady's system. As of tomorrow pot is legal in Massachusetts, still a banned substance in the NFL, so I wonder if the moves the Patriots have made have been about removing some of the ganja heads on the team in advance of having to deal with weed being legal in the state.

Jeff Fisher is the first head coach to go. Sort of a surprise when it happened and also because they gave him an extension...I mean why did they not just fire this guy when they made the deal to go to LA? I know the claim is because they wanted Fisher to help with transitioning the team due to the move. He had gone through it with the Oilers Houston to Tennessee Titans move so he was considered the perfect guy to help with that. However, he was obviously not the guy to bring a winning team to LA. Now the team is set up with a QB in Goff that does not look NFL ready and obviously if he ever will be he needs some really good coaching to get there. Problem is to bring in a new coach and saddle him with Goff is not the best of situations. It's not like giving a new coach a guy like Andrew Luck that you know can play but needs the parts put in place around him.

The Rams want a big name that will make a splash...they obviously would first and foremost love Jim Harbaugh...don't think he would ever walk away from his dream coaching job at Michigan this early to go and coach the Rams. I mean Harbaugh being the nut that he is will likely wear out his welcome at Michigan but give it a while...they still like him right now because he has that program going in the right direction. People will put up with a lot of A-hole if you are winning. Now the Rams are said to be willing to offer Harbaugh the world...highest paid coach in NFL history, full control of football operations, full control of all roster decisions...it would be a coach/GM type of deal...and the added bonus of being in the same division as the 49ers, so he gets to punish them twice a year. You know that is probably his favorite part of the offer. Harbaugh turned Colin Kaepernick into one of the rising stars in the NFL...and it looks like that was all Harbaugh because without him he's basically a lousy back-up...so if there is one guy that might turn Goff into a winner it's Harbaugh. Now, Harbaugh is an unpredictable guy and there is no way Michigan would or could pay him what the Rams can...so, is it possible? Sure, but my guess is he will stay with Michigan and that Rams job will probably open up again along with other NFL coaching positions so he can always make a return to the NFL later. Jim is a Michigan guy after all and it would crush Michigan fans and probably really piss off the people that hired him for him to leave this quickly...not that Jim cares about pissing people off. In fact he sort of lives for that.

Next big name on the list is Jon Gruden. The issue with this choice is Gruden loves doing MNF and loves his contract there. They basically would need to throw Fort Knox at him to get him to coach again. Gruden does not need and probably does not want the job.

This is the same scenario for Bill Cowher. He loves the broadcasting business much more than he ever loved coaching. I think Cowher is done. He also does not need this job and is loving life right now. I don't see him going back to the grind of NFL coaching...ever.

Now we get to some names that could actually take the job...

Tom Coughlin - He's 70 but he wants to coach again. Two teams are said to be considering him already, the Rams and the Jaguars. Coughlin would be a good choice for either team because the guy can really coach and he knows how to organize a franchise into a quality organization. I would want to hire him just so everybody in the organization could learn from him. What he would bring to a team would last far longer than his coaching tenure. He is known as one of the great teachers in the NFL. Honestly, the Colts should make a play for him as well because he is one guy that would be able to tell Irsay to shut up and stay out of the way. Andrew Luck would love the guy. He currently works for the NFL in a special position they created for him...but word is he would rather coach.

Josh McDaniels - OK, this is the year McDaniels feels he is ready to join the head coaching ranks in the NFL again. He does have a connection to the Rams as they hired him to be their OC after Denver fired him. Here's the thing though, McDaniels will want to pick his own QB. The Rams have invested in Goff but if they hire McDaniels they would need to be prepared for him to dump Goff in favor of picking his own guy. Not sure he wants to walk into a situation where he is handcuffed to Goff. So, this is possible but I think it depends on how the Rams and McDaniels negotiate the Goff situation. If they tell him he can do whatever he wants with Goff, dump him, trade him, whatever...then I think it could happen. McDaniels is obviously eyeing a job this year that he likes, I mean he could have likely been the Giants coach but he took himself off the list for head coaching jobs last year. Don't quite get that but he obviously has some sort of plan. Is it the Rams job he wants? Word is he and his agent have chatted extensively about where he would agree to be a head coach and it is a short list. I have a feeling that two of the places where McDaniels really wants to go are the Bears or the Bengals. Both jobs are likely to open up at the end of the season. The Bears supposedly have a real interest in trading for Jimmy Garoppolo...interesting fit if they hire Josh as head coach.

Kyle Shanahan - Now we know they want an offensive guy and Shanahan has the Falcons attack firing on all cylinders. Also Goff is said to be very much like Matt Ryan so the Rams seem to feel Shanahan might be the perfect coach to work with him. This one could definitely happen.

Ken Zampese - Well, no big splash with this guy but he has connections with the Rams and they really like him and he is a guy that is supposedly destined to be a head coach somewhere. He also has the advantage that he coaches for the Bengals right now and they are out of playoff contention so he will be available before McDaniels or Shanahan so he could cut a deal before they can. I think what mainly stands in his way is the Rams seem to want a shot at all the guys above before they get to Zampese.

20. Scott Merryfield

Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan for the Rams job. He has a job in Ann Arbor for as long as he wants it, too. You will not see him wear out his welcome here as he did on other places. The alumni see him as the next coming of Bo Schembechler, who had quite a personality, too, and yet was beloved by the alums. If Harbaugh is smart, he will stay at Michigan, where he has what he always wanted - - complete control to run things exactly the way he wants. He will never get that in the NFL.