What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
ChristopherG said:
I guess Ray Lewis will have to live with being judged by opinions, but in the eyes of the law he has paid his price.  I suppose I am biased as I am a Ravens fan, but most here in Maryland know that he has turned his life around completely since that moment. Ray has been an inspiration and mentor to young players and people who where at risk of making poor decisions.  It is interesting to see how many people who choose to ignore, or simply don't grasp the concept of redemption. That and everyone wishes they had Ray in their lineup for the last 17 years....
Spoken like a true Ravens fan. GO 49ers !!!

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
ChristopherG said:
 It is interesting to see how many people who choose to ignore, or simply don't grasp the concept of redemption.
I'm a huge believer in redemption. The question for me is, redemption from what? By his accounts, Ray did nothing wrong that night; he sat in the limo and called to his buddies to get in so they could leave. He and his supporters will say he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. So where's the need for redemption? Do we need to be redeemed from going to the club with our friends? If he was not involved in any wrongdoing that night, how has he turned his life around completely since that night, as you put it? He's gone from a good, innocent man who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, to a good, innocent man who could still wind up at the wrong place at the wrong time, just like any of us could end up at any given moment? Where's the change, the need for redemption? In my eyes, redemption must begin with truth. Without an acknowledgment of accountability over something, redemption has no starting point. See, I get that in the eyes of the law, Ray has paid his price. I'm fine with that. But that doesn't make him a good man. Most of us believe there's such a thing as a moral or ethical responsibility (regardless of a legal one) as people; we usually call it something like "doing the right thing." Do you honestly not believe that everyone in the back of the limo that night knows exactly what went down? I'm sure they do. And the fact that nobody will come forward and do the "right thing" for the families of the dead men, puts some major plot holes in the entire "redeemed man of good character" narrative that Ray and his supporters want us to believe. Back to football, I have always had a tremendous amount of respect for the way the Ravens play football. I love their intensity and passion, especially on the defensive side. And if they were facing any other NFC opponent this year, I can assure you I'd be rooting for them. But I'm a 49ers fan from my youth, and those things have a strange way of sticking with you. I love the storyline of two brothers going head-to-head as coaches, too, and I'm really hopeful that the game itself delivers lots of drama to go along with it (please no blow out!).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jacinto, I can assure you that the game will not feature a blowout. Every year I make predictions in all sports (including the NFL), and I have never, ever been wrong with any NFL prediction I have ever made. ;)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Jacinto, I believe that Ray said he did not commit murder - he was convicted of obstruction of justice in a story where two young men lost there lives. Redemption can take many forms. I believe that one form is to not put oneself back into situations where bad things can happen. Another is talking to younger people and making yourself the example of what poor judgement can do to you. In Ray's case, he does all those things and more. He provided the families with compensation for their loss - whether or not that is the "right thing" in your eyes, clearly those families were willing to accept that and therefore the right thing has been provided to them. Whether or not you find that morally satisfying is up to you as it is up to me to decide the same. Chris

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Chris, Indeed redemption can take on many forms; some people will be satisfied, and others will not. I can readily accept that Ray did not commit murder, but I guess what gets me, in the end, is that most certainly somebody in his entourage did commit murder that night, and all those in the limo know who it was. I personally couldn't live with that, and that's why I still take issue with Ray. Thanks for the healthy (and courteous) dialogue which ended up being far more about philosophy than football. Enjoy the game next weekend! Jacinto

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
ChristopherG said:
Jacinto, I believe that Ray said he did not commit murder - he was convicted of obstruction of justice in a story where two young men lost there lives. Redemption can take many forms. I believe that one form is to not put oneself back into situations where bad things can happen.  Another is talking to younger people and making yourself the example of what poor judgement can do to you. In Ray's case, he does all those things and more. He provided the families with compensation for their loss - whether or not that is the "right thing" in your eyes, clearly those families were willing to accept that and therefore the right thing has been provided to them.  Whether or not you find that morally satisfying is up to you as it is up to me to decide the same. Chris  
The family filed a civil suit against Lewis (similar to the O.J. Simpson case), and an out of court settlement was made. So, I do not think that "compensation to the families" was just a selfless gesture by Lewis -- it was a way to avoid an even larger payment had he lost the lawsuit (as Simpson did).

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I'm done with the Ray Lewis discussion. People will think what they want. To provide some convergence with the HTF and the impending Superbowl, I offer the following nugget for your viewing pleasure:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Jim Harbaugh was the first person that Ray Lewis sacked in the NFL!
Not only that but John was QBing for the Colts at the time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Being a Michigan fan, I will always have a soft spot for Jim Harbaugh. I know he can rub people the wrong way, but he was the first NFL-quality QB to come out of Michigan after the 1970's Bo - Woody era of "only three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad".

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
To all the Ravens fans out there, your team will win on Sunday. I want San Francisco to win, which means it is a guarantee that Baltimore will win the game. Bank on it. ;) In any event, I'm revising my score to: San Francisco 17, Baltimore 14.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I guess I need to make my pick. The Ravens remind me a little of the Giants during their two most recent SB wins -- a team that gets hot at the right time. So, while I will be pulling for San Fran, I am picking Baltimore. Ravens 24, 49ers 21

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to the Ravens. It is kind of funny to hear 49er fans complaining about the non call in the 4th since it was a non call that helped them get to the Bowl in the first place.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ockeghem said:
To all the Ravens fans out there, your team will win on Sunday. I want San Francisco to win, which means it is a guarantee that Baltimore will win the game. Bank on it. ;) In any event, I'm revising my score to: San Francisco 17, Baltimore 14.
Thank yew for your support! ;) And condolences to you guys! Was a hell of a game!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks