What's new

NFL 2010 Off-season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

When you consider who the Raiders passed on to draft Russell -- Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson -- he may be a bigger bust than Leaf. The Chargers passed on Andre Wadsworth, Charles Woodson, Curtis Enis, Grant Winstrom, Kyle Turley and Greg Ellis. Woodson was the best of that lot. Fred Taylor did go at #9 overall.
Perhaps the Russell pick is the bigger bust. The Raiders had the number one pick and had a choice of any player. The Chargers had the number two pick and Manning was already gone. Now if the Chargers had the number one pick and still went with Leaf, well that would be the biggest bust for sure.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Johnny, yes, if the Chargers had passed on Manning for Leaf that would have been a colossal error. I remember there was actually some debate amongst the draft "experts" at the time as to whether the Colts should take Manning or Leaf. I think the Colts got that one right.

The other thing to consider is how much money each team sunk into their bust. The Raiders have flushed $39 million down the toilet on Russell. This is the best evidence the NFL needs a rookie salary cap in their next contract.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

The other thing to consider is how much money each team sunk into their bust. The Raiders have flushed $39 million down the toilet on Russell. This is the best evidence the NFL needs a rookie salary cap in their next contract.
What I remember is that Manning was considered the more finished or ready for the pros than Leaf, who was considered a "project." Of course any rookie QB is a project, but Manning was thought to me more ready. Both were considered fine pro prospects.

Of course one has proved to be of good character, works hard at the game, understands he's the star on a team. The other was simply an @##hole, character wise who has gone on to have problems with the law. I wonder how much of the money the Chargers shoveled down his money-pit he has left, if any.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm of two minds on the NY superbowl...

One, I wouldn't want to spend $2,000 or more on tickets just to sit there and freeze.

Two, but I do think it's unfair to northern teams with open stadiums that they never get to host a superbowl.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Since the NFL made this concession to a northern city for the Super Bowl, I think they should make a second one for those people who do actually spend $2,000 per ticket to watch the game -- have the game during the day, when it will be a little warmer. After all, the game used to be played during daylight hours. The TV audience would be there anyway.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I'm of two minds on the NY superbowl...

One, I wouldn't want to spend $2,000 or more on tickets just to sit there and freeze.

Two, but I do think it's unfair to northern teams with open stadiums that they never get to host a superbowl.
I'm of one mind for the SB. Play the game an area with temperate conditions or in a domed stadium. Why should a team that plays in fair weather at home be at a disadvantage to the team that's used to playing in crap weather? Yeah, you can't avoid that in the regular season or the playoffs, but in the SB, make it a level playing field.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

I'm of one mind for the SB. Play the game an area with temperate conditions or in a domed stadium. Why should a team that plays in fair weather at home be at a disadvantage to the team that's used to playing in crap weather? Yeah, you can't avoid that in the regular season or the playoffs, but in the SB, make it a level playing field.

The reverse argument could be made for a cold weather team. Why should a team built for cold weather have to play in a dome and be at a disadvantage against a team built for playing on a fast surface in a dome?

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt

I am of the same opinion. At the beginning of the SB area (I think) - it was decided to play the SB in good weather conditions so that this special game could be played without the result being determined by the weather - so I am surprised that it has been determined to play a SB game in NYC in February.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The reverse argument could be made for a cold weather team. Why should a team built for cold weather have to play in a dome and be at a disadvantage against a team built for playing on a fast surface in a dome?

There really is no such thing as a team build for cold weather. (Don't mention a run heavy team since that is a style that works just as well in good weather). Players are either use to playing in the cold or they are not. Every attempt possible should be made to minimize weather as a factor in the game.

I'll have to join the group that finds it moronic to play this game in February in New Jersey. San Francisco was bad enough and they just had the misfortune of getting lots of fog on the day of the game. The day before the weather was perfect but that is the luck of the draw in the Bay Area in late January.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Teams that play outdoors in cold weather have to be able to adapt and cope with adverse weather conditions, while teams playing in warm weather or domes rarely do -- hence teams "built" for cold weather. Some warm weather teams never learn to cope -- I think Tampa Bay went decades without ever winning a game where the game time temperature was below 40 degrees. The weather has been a factor in the sport since the beginning, even though it's been mitigated by the modern dome stadiums. I do not see the harm in having one Super Bowl played in cold weather conditions. Of course, I will not be one of the people sitting in the stands freezing my butt off, either.

Anyway, some of the most famous playoff games have been played in adverse conditions. Two that quickly come to mind are the Packers - Cowboys "Ice Bowl" title game in the 1960's, and the Patriots - Raiders "Tuck Rule" game a few years ago.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Why is a "cold-weather" team at a disadvantage in good conditions? Are they a running team, hard-hitting, etc. They should still be able to do all the things they do in cold weather at least as well in good weather. I'll grant you there may be some advantage to a dome team playing in a dome.

But let's face it, this decision was based on moola, the benjamins, the cash. It's all about making money.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Anyway, some of the most famous playoff games have been played in adverse conditions. Two that quickly come to mind are the Packers - Cowboys "Ice Bowl" title game in the 1960's, and the Patriots - Raiders "Tuck Rule" game a few years ago.

There was also the coldest playoff game on record, Chargers vs Bengals. A perfect example of a warm weather team in a game it could not prepare for. A game that the NFL later admitted should have been rescheduled. I'll always think that if a big name city (such at the Jets) had been facing the Bengals, it would have been rescheduled. Yeah, I know NY gets cold, but nothing like that game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

There was also the coldest playoff game on record, Chargers vs Bengals. A perfect example of a warm weather team in a game it could not prepare for. A game that the NFL later admitted should have been rescheduled. I'll always think that if a big name city (such at the Jets) had been facing the Bengals, it would have been rescheduled. Yeah, I know NY gets cold, but nothing like that game.

I do not recall the NFL ever rescheduling a game because of cold weather -- nor will they ever. I think that statement was just to appease the fans of the Chargers.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I do not recall the NFL ever rescheduling a game because of cold weather -- nor will they ever. I think that statement was just to appease the fans of the Chargers.
Well, let's hope the NY SB doesn't have temps like the freezer bowl. That would make for an interesting decision on the league's part. I hope this decision to play a cold-weather SB is not a trend.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
[FONT= 'arial']I was sorry to see that Jack Tatum passed away the other day.[/FONT] [FONT= 'arial'] [/FONT] [FONT= 'arial']I grow up going to Raider games in 70s, he was a damn good player who unfortunately to many ignorant fans is thought of as nothing more than a dirty cheap shot player because of the Stingley hit. The hit by the way was clean and legal. It wasn’t borderline, there was no grey area, it was just a good physical play that resulted in an injury.[/FONT] [FONT= 'arial'] [/FONT] [FONT= 'arial']RIP “Assassin” [/FONT] [FONT= 'arial'][/FONT]

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Originally Posted by Patrick_S

[FONT= 'arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'arial']I grow up going to Raider games in 70s, he was a damn good player who unfortunately to many ignorant fans is thought of as nothing more than a dirty cheap shot player because of the Stingley hit. The hit by the way was clean and legal. It wasn’t borderline, there was no grey area, it was just a good physical play that resulted in an injury.[/FONT]

[FONT= 'arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'arial'][/FONT]
I think what bothers people is not that Stingley got hurt, but that Tatum never said anything like "I'm sorry about what happened". He always had a "hey, these things happen" attitude.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member

Originally Posted by RobertR
I think what bothers people is not that Stingley got hurt, but that Tatum never said anything like "I'm sorry about what happened". He always had a "hey, these things happen" attitude.

Do a little research and you'll find out that this is a common misconception.

Users who are viewing this thread