NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread

ZacharyTait

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

No kidding. I would have bet on the Falcons and the Colts yesterday. Today, I would bet on the Ravens and the Eagles.

Matt Millen can't be worse in the booth than he did in Detroit.....(and I thought we would be done talking about the Lions!
)

ThomasC

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Could it be that Millen was just a pawn for Ford? Did Ford make all the decisions and make Millen take the hits?

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Before he destroyed the Lions, he was a good football announcer. However, his credibility is so bad now, I don't think a large segment of football fans will take what he says seriously again.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
No. Ford has a history of making poor hires and letting them stay too long in their jobs, but he isn't much for day to day decisions. That would be too much work -- Ford hasn't worked an honest day in his entire life. He's a trust fund baby who owes his entire fortune to his family name. He's too stupid to come up with such a scheme.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Colt/Charger game is another bullet point that supports the Chargers firing Marty after his 14-3 season. Marty cannot win in the playoffs, his whole career points to that. Turner has 3 playoff wins in 2 seasons with the Chargers and Marty had none (both his SD playoffs were home losses when SD was favored).

The only thing I would have done different was to not wait a month to fire him. I'll be the first to admit I wasn't thrilled with the Turner hire, but this year's 8-8 Chargers have a better chance at the SB than any of Marty's teams. I don't think Marty could have gotten his team to nearly beat NE last year with the injuries they had.

Cromartie has had an odd year. There are times when his head isn't in the game and Saturday, he almost cost them the game. I hope he wakes up now and lives up to his talent more consistently.

Holy crap, Scifres had magic feet didn't he? NBC put him on the horse trailer along with Sproles. Of course Sproles missed tying Keith Lincoln for combined yards in a game by 1 yard. Keith did it in 1963 AFL championship game against the patriots before the merger. I was there for that game.

Despite my SB comment above, I don't think they'll get there. This is SD and they always break your heart when the season is over, except for 1963.

Steve_Tk

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I went one and three with the spread this weekend. Ouch. I still hate NFL ovetime rules. I stopped watching when SD won the toss. Football is about offense and defense equally, they both get their time on the field. So why is the NFL still using an overtime system that potetially only lets one part of your team play?

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big fan of the college overtime system, though. It seems too gimmicky and inflates the scores of the games. I remember reading somewhere that the team that wins the coin toss in an NFL overtime only wins a little over 50% of the games, so the stats seem to indicate the system is more fair than it appears on the surface.

I have absolutely no idea who I would pick to get to the Super Bowl in either conference at this point. I think Tennessee, Pittsburgh and Baltimore all have a realistic shot -- I just do not see the Chargers winning twice more without LT. In the NFC, the Giants, Panthers and Eagles all seem to have legitimate chances.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
At this point, I'm not so sure who will get to the Super Bowl either. I do think that the best bet for the Titans losing went out the window with the Colts exit. But I suppose (and I really hope) that Pittsburgh, assuming they defeat the Chargers, goes into Tennessee (assuming they defeat the Ravens), and hands them a one-sided whooping.
Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing the Ravens defeat the Titans.

In the NFC, I'm looking for a great showing by the Eagles in their rubber game with the Giants. This would be a good weekend to send the Giants home for the year. I don't see the Panthers losing to either team, should it come to that.

My dream scenario, which I highly doubt will occur: The Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl.

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
Ahh gotta love everyone writing the Chargers off...I think that just keeps the team going strong.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
All I know is that I feel cheated when my team loses in OT and never got the ball on offense. It seems they could change to rule to require that each team have the ball on offense at least once.

It's really a pisser when the first team with the ball gets it close because they threw the long ball, and let's face it, half the time a team goes long, they're trying to get a pass interference call rather than a completion.

Go Chargers.

Edit: Yeah, that would mean the Chargers might not have won Saturday night if Manning had one more chance.

ZacharyTait

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a while. I'm going to e-mail that link to my friends and family.

Divisional Weekend picks:

Giants over Eagles.
Panthers over Cardinals.
Ravens over Titans.
Steelers over Chargers.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
It's 2-2 thus far for road and home teams. I'm hoping that that trend continues this weekend. My divisional picks (in boldface):

AFC:

Ravens @ Titans
Chargers @ Steelers

NFC:

Eagles @ Giants
Cardinals @ Panthers

Steve_Tk

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I was 1-3 Last week with spread. I have not seen what they are, but if was picking the games I'd say Ravens, Chargers, Giants, Panthers.

So glad that there are not any marching bands in the stadiums at pro football games. When FOX shows college football games they show the bands once or TWICE between every play. Sometimes a shot of both bands back to back. It's very annoying.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I know that there has been some talk about revising the overtime rule for NFL games during the playoffs.

Here's my suggestion for making the rule better:

1) Both teams get to play a series of downs.

2) If first team scores and field goal and second team scores a field goal, game goes into traditional sudden death finish.

3) If first team scores a field goal and the second team scores a touchdown, game ends with second team winning (not PAT needed).

4) PAT tie-breaker rules apply if both teams score touchdowns. However, if both teams score touchdowns and after PAT game is still tied, then game goes into traditional sudden death finish.

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
I think the NFL has this rule to keep the games from going on too long? Trying to keep the audience tuned in?

Steve_Tk

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
But has anyone ever turned off a college game because it went to overtime? There is nothing more boring than long NFL overtimes that end in a field goal win. To me, college overtimes are some of the most exciting games, IMO.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think this may be right. I do know that the Chiefs - Dolphins double overtime game of 1971 made for some changes to come about; it could be that this was one of them. Does anyone know for certain?

That was an exciting game to watch, despite it having occurred on Christmas Day, and despite the outcome.
Ed Podolak had a great day, and when Jan Stenerud missed the game-winning field goal in regulation I couldn't believe it. That game was one for the ages. Every child should have a game like this to remember and cherish.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member

I am not aware of any major changes in the NFL's overtime rules, other than adding a single 15 minute overtime for regular season games many years ago (sometime in the 1980's?). Before that, there was no regular season OT -- games just ended in a tie. The playoff overtime rules have been the same as long as I can remember.

I do remember watching that Dolphins - Chiefs Christmas Day game as a youngster. However, that was a playoff game, not a regular season game. The NFL did not play regular season OT in 1971.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Therma123