What's new

NFL 2008 Fantasy Football Advice Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I went 1-1 this past weekend, losing by 2 points in my money league and winning big in my dynasty league.

As a result of my poor showing in the money league, I have the #2 waiver wire pick this week. The guy with the #1 pick is taking Matt Cassels. I need help at receiver, and am considering the following options:

WR Devry Henderson (Saints)
WR David Patten (Saints)
TE Fasano (Dolphins)

I will be dumping Robert Meacham, who was a healthy scratch for the Saints (and my last position player drafted). Right now I'm leaning towards Fasano, as my only TE is Vernon Davis. I had Fasano as a sleeper TE in my draft research, but I always draft only a single tight end.

Thoughts?

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Well I lost big this week. 90-49. My opponent had Peterson, Bush and Ward who all had huge games. Only Barber had a good game for me, and his great performance was cut short with his rib injury.

I was watching last night's Broncos-Raiders game and quickly picked up Eddie Royal from waivers after his strong performance. Hopefully I can manage to get him and his game last night won't be a fluke. I like picking up guys off the waiver wire just after they have a strong game and taking a chance on them. If they do well, it's a great way to build up your team. If not, dump them and find another. That's how I got to benefit from the great seasons of Mewelde Moore and Larry Johnson at both of their peaks.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith

I wouldn't pick Henderson, he is wildly inconsistent. He had 2 catches and 1 happened to be for like an 80 yard touchdown. His next week he may get no catches. He can put up the points but not consistent enough to help you throughout the season.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, I won my first game with 0 points from Cooley, 1 point from Braylon and 2 from Carson Palmer. My running backs did well for me, but I'm concerned about Barber's injury. Especially since Green only had 2 points and got injured too. Off to scour the waiver wire...

Boy Scott, I'm not sure what I'd do there. If TE is a concern for you, then Fasano is a good choice, but there really isn't an overwhelming favorite.

So, Kitna or Palmer next week? Kitna would've given me a blowout this week, but surely Palmer will bounce back strong.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith

I don't know about Palmer, T.J. Housh was pretty down after the game and said they can't do anything on offense right now. They are playing the Titans next week which is a pretty dang good defense. Yeah Green Bay is good on defense too but I would sway towards Kitna unless the Bengals get some confidence in them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That is a tough one. Both QB's are going against tough secondaries. Green Bay has probably the best pair of cover cornerbacks in the league. However, the Bengals offense looks dreadful right now. At least the Lions still seem to be able to pass the ball. I would lean the same way as Aaron and go with Kitna this week, then play the matchups for the next few weeks until you see if Cincy can get their act together.

I've decided to claim Fasano. I'm also putting in claims for Henderson or Patten for the 2nd pass (would waive Javon Walker), but have no idea if either will still be there at the #14 waiver picks. Our claims are processed Wednesdays at 6pm.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Well I got whipped badly, but focusing on the positive. I have the #2 waiver wire. The guy who beat me dropped Eddie Royal on Sat, anyway, Royal goes to top of my wire want list, but the #1 will probably take him, leaving me with:
Hank Baskett,
Jerious Norwood,
Devery Henderson
Mark Clayton
Michael Jenkins

I am going with Baskett.

Funny, if I get Eddie Royal, I already have Robert Royal (but played Heath Miller this week....grrrr) so I could give someone the Royal treatment.
I'm also ditching Deuce for the Bills D/St.

I screwed up earlier...I dont have Javon Walker, I have Donald Driver. Always get them mixed up. dont know why. gotta love a 68 yd pass TD called back on illegal man downfield...what ???? on pass blocking ?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I ended up with Fasano and David Patten on my waiver wire picks. I just lost Colston for 4-6 weeks, so I won't dump Meacham until I see if he'll get some playing time with Colston out. My receivers are looking very ugly right now -- Roddy White, Coles, Ginn, Patten and Meacham. I may be starting four running backs this week.

The funny thing is I turned down a trade offer for Colston this morning before the news of his injury surfaced. Oh well, I wouldn't have felt right accepting the offer if I knew about the injury, and the offer wasn't close to value if he was healthy.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Well, the Texans-Ravens game got postponed till week 10 because of hurricane Ike. So I won't be playing Andre Johnson this week. My alternatives are Roddy White or Edgerrin James. Which one would ya'll play?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
James plays Miami so that is favorable.

I have a problem too. I have to play either Ricky Williams or Fred Taylor...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That's a tough one. Normally I'd go with Williams, but Ronnie Brown looked good last week for Miami. He appears healthier than expected. Since the Jags have been hurt on the OL, though, and are playing a tough Buffalo defense I'd probably still go with "Smokin' Ricky".

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Since I dropped another one, I am #1 on the waiver.
Should I handcuff L.T. with Sproles. I wish I had this past weekend !
The pickings are slim, with only Norwood and Isaac Bruce as other waiver options. I am not hot on either of them.
At least with Sproles in there, I either start them both or see what happens at game time. The Chargers line opened up some major lanes for Darren. He got called back on a scamper from the 48 down to the 1 yd line (nearly a TD) and he catches which counts in our PPR league.

Is Coles worth holding on to ? Will Favre hook up with him ? The Broncos passed all over the place, so if that is any indicator, this Monday night should see some looks his way. If I were to handcuff L.T., would you give up Ray Rice or Coles ? I also have two TE (Heath Miller and Robert Royal) so I could drop Royal instead. Royal looked pretty athletic in week 1, then, of course, I put him in and week 2 : zilch !

GARY C

Second Unit
You guys have helped before so I'll ask once again for some help.

I am one of the many who wrapped up their season in week 1 when Brady grabbed his leg and have started 0-2. So another 0-2 owner offers me this today as trades open up...

QB - C. Palmer
RB - S. Jackson

for my

QB - T. Edwards
RB - M. Jones-Drew

Now take note Edwards is my main QB now, and the league is deep (14 people - 16 picks) so my back-up is J. Russell (and there isn't much else on the waiver).

I want to say no, but can I? This would give me a backfield of Jackson and W. Parker. If both Palmer and Jackson start to play like they should, I suddenly have a team with a chance again (for the record my other starters are M. Harrison, G. Jennings, J. Witten, J. Brown and the Ravens DST).

Thanks in advance for the help.

G.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I would definitely grab Sproles, Alex. I tried to trade for him (he was drafted in my money league), but the other owner wants to hang onto him with LT's injury. I'm really hurting right now with LT limited, Colston out, and Jones-Drew banged up. That's my top 3 draft picks!

I own Coles and am hanging onto him. He looked a little better against the Pats, so I'm hoping Favre will start looking his way more. Coles was injured in preseason and Week #1, so it's probably too soon to cut him loose.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I know Jackson and Palmer look bad right now, but I would pull the trigger on that one. Jacksonville's offensive line is banged up, and Jones-Drew also hurt his ankle on Sunday. Cincy looks bad, but Palmer's a good QB, so you should expect him to do better as the season goes on. The Bengals are definitely going to be throwing a lot, since they will be playing from behind.

I'm trying to deal Jones-Drew to the Braylon Edwards owner right now.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Yeah, Palmer is killing me right now, but he should rebound. I'm concerned about Cincy though. They look like a team that is imploding and Buffalo has a legit shot at the playoffs. I'd probably still pull the trade, but it's not a no-brainer.

BTW, I went with Palmer this weekend and still managed to win despite his 1 point. Kitna would've been much better and O'Sullivan would've been even better still. Gary, is O'Sullivan gone in your league? If available, he might be a good pick-up.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I am 2-0 in my dynasty league, but 0-2 in my money re-draft league, due mostly to the complete lack of support from my first three picks -- LT, Colston and MJD.

My redraft needed some help, so I made a trade this morning. I traded MJD and Coles for Braylon Edwards and Sammy Morris. The Jags offensive line worries me, and with Colston out I need a #1 WR. Hopefully Edwards will start producing.

My team now:

QB: Rothleisberger, Schaub
RB: LT, Graham, Sammy Morris, Felix Jones, Steve Slaton, Michael Bush
WR: Edwards, Colston, Roddy White, David Patten, Meacham, Ike Hilliard
TE: Vernon Davis, Fasano

If LT and Colston can get healthy this team should be competitive. If not, I'm toast. I'm still weak at TE, though.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
this weekend, should I start LT against the Jets, or Ryan Grant against the Cowboys? Both are hurt, and Grant had a terrible game last week after not practicing (he only practiced Fri this week) but with Sproles doing well I'm not sure the Chargers are going to give LT many carries.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
L.T. is a must start every week. He'll get the touches this week. He has an extra day and they need a win at home. Good blocking too. I would go with L.T.
Of course, I handcuffed L.T. with Sproles so I am going to wait until Monday afternoon to see who to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks