NFL 2002 Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I've been getting emails from my fantasy league commissioner, which means that NFL season isn't too far off.
    Though I may be jumping the gun a little bit, I'm hoping we can use this thread to discuss the newest free agent signings, rookies, trades, and your favorite teams and/or players. Fantasy league discussions are welcome as well.
    I'm really looking forward to watching my beloved Eagles again ALL freakin' season! This year makes me a 10-year Fantasy League Veteran (Champion only once.), so I obviously sit and watch every single game on every single Sunday. (And let's not forget MNF and those late season Thursday/Saturday games! [​IMG] )
    I'll get the ball rolling (not a pun - footballs don't roll well) with a few questions. Questions are fun.
    1. If you could pick any NFL team to win the 2002 Super Bowl, who would it be? Actual rosters and reality don't matter. I'm talking wish-fulfillment.
    2. Who do you think will be the AFC/NFC/Super Bowl Champions?
    3. Who will be the first Head Coach to get fired?
    4. Who will be the first superstar to go down with an unexpected injury? (I'm not hoping for injuries, but they're as inevitable as bad officiating.)
    5. How much does a hot dog cost at your local NFL stadium?
    6. What is your traditional Sunday afternoon meal?
    7. Who will win Rookie of the Year?
    8. In what week will Emmitt Smith break Walter Payton's career rushing record?
    9. Who will be the worst team in the NFL this season?
    10. What NFL team had the best draft?
    Ok, ten's enough! By this time next week, I want to see this thread full of team logos and trash talk!
    Go Eagles. McNabb is the king.

2. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Its still a little to early for me to be thinking football. But I'll give it a try. He I go......
    LETS GO RAIDERS!!!!!!
    Hows that. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Can't wait for our revenge match vs New England on Nov 17th in Oakland.
    Joe.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Well, I'll give a few of these topics a shot:

1. If you could pick any NFL team to win the 2002 Super Bowl, who would it be? Actual rosters and reality don't matter. I'm talking wish-fulfillment.

Detroit Lions -- of course, it's not going to happen, but you asked.

St. Louis in NFC, Pittsburgh or Miami in AFC. I think Ricky Williams really improves the Dolphins' chances -- they finally have a quality running back. The Steelers have the NFL's easiest schedule.

Dick LeBeau -- Cincinnati

4. Who will be the first superstar to go down with an unexpected injury? (I'm not hoping for injuries, but they're as inevitable as bad officiating.)

Emmitt Smith

I don't know -- the Lions are moving into a new stadium this year, so I'm sure prices will be going up.

I avoid snacking during the games.

A running back is usually a good choice, but there were not any potential superstar RB's in this year's draft. It will probably be a defensive player.

He will not break the record (see question #4)

Houston, followed by Carolina

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

"1. If you could pick any NFL team to win the 2002 Super Bowl, who would it be? Actual rosters and reality don't matter. I'm talking wish-fulfillment."
    The Giants, of course...I know it's a pipedream, but as long as it's not the Cowboys
    I hate to say this, believe me I do, but I think the Eagles in the NFC and Steelers in the AFC.
    Jim Fassel, I hope I hope I hope I hope.
    Tom Brady
    "5. How much does a hot dog cost at your local NFL stadium?"
    Don't know, I dine in the parking lot before the game.
    Burgers and peanut fries for the next 3 years, then I'll be switching to salad when I hit the big 40.
    Don't know.
    "8. In what week will Emmitt Smith break Walter Payton's career rushing record?"
    Is he that close? Damn.
    Detroit
    Giants! Hey, one can hope can't he?
    "Go Eagles. McNabb is the king."
    Come to the swamps of Joysey and say that
    [​IMG]

5. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

I am looking forward to a few teams this year:

1. Denver Broncos - Last year they were destroyed by injury and internal strife. If everyone could stay healthy, then this team may be a playoff contender.

2. Pittsburg Steelers - They did everything right last year except beat New England. Cordell is looking pretty sharp and they havent lost any significant players since last season.

3. Philly Eagles - This young team has grown up to be the best in the east and one of my favorites to win it all. This team got better in the offseason by subtraction.

4. KC Chiefs - ok, I know KC is where the good players go to die, but they have a lot of talent and a great coach in his second year. I dont think this is their year, but I am looking forward to a great season from them.

5. Dallas Cowboys - Quietly, this team has pulled together a top defense. If their QB can play consitently and not turn the ball over (plus find some consistency at kicker), Dallas will win games like the patriots and ravens, on defense.

Looking forward to the season!!! (and the end to baseball season....bleah!)

-ikiru

6. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

The Raiders can pummel the Pats in that game for all I care. We're the Super Bowl Champions.

Everyone seems to think it was a fluke that the Patriots won the super bowl. All I know is the Pats handled Pittsburgh without much problem, outplayed the Rams for 3 quarters, and when the game was on the line marched right down the field and scored.

As for the Tuck Rule play in the Raiders game...we all know that he was trying to bring it down and not pass it. Any Pats fan that's honest will admit that but a rule is a rule no matter how bad it is. IIRC they didn't change the rule at the NFL meetings, even after the Raiders-Patriots incident.

The Raiders did have an opportunity to win the game after the play but couldn't stop the Pats.

Who do I think will win the AFC? I think that it will come down to the Steelers, Dolphins, and Patriots. The Dolphins are vastly improved with Williams and that might put them over the top. I firmly believe that as long as Stewart is the QB in Pittsburgh the Steelers won't get beyond the AFC championship game. He had a great season but he fell apart in the big game, as he usually does. The Patriots went out and drafted an excellent tight end and picked up some tight ends via free agency. These moves will only strengthen Brady's game as he is a short to medium range passer. Don't forget Donald Hayes, he's big and fast and will give them the deep threat that they've been missing since cry baby Glenn stopped playing to get his money.

Okay Steelers and Raiders fans, start pounding on me. I'll just look over at my Patriots Super Bowl Wheaties box.

7. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Chiefs or Jets. I'm a double fan, sorry to those of you it offends. I grew up in KC but I have loved the Jets since I was 10, around 1985. When they play against each other I just hope for a good game.
    Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh. (My real dark horse is Cleveland)
    I will say Dave Campo but that's hard. It could be almost anyone.
    Brett Favre
    "5. How much does a hot dog cost at your local NFL stadium?"
    Don't know either, when I am back in KC we tailgate. If I do eat in the stadium, I usually stick to the nachos for football and leave the dogs for baseball, (if the royals can be considered baseball).
    We do a lot of smoking. Ribs, Brisket, Pork butt, whatever... We also use the grill too. Burgers, Brats, pizza. Yumm, football season.
    Quentin Jammer. Marty is a genius with young defensive players.
    "8. In what week will Emmitt Smith break Walter Payton's career rushing record?"
    Week 8. He is about 500 yards away.
    Dallas or Houston. Sorry Texas.
    Chargers or Titans.
    NFL! NFL! NFL! NFL! NFL! NFL! NFL! NFL! NFL!
    WooooooHooooooooooooo! And this year we get Madden for MNF. Could this sport get any better? [​IMG]

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Being a Cowboy fan I feel like I've walked into a heated discussion already. Perhaps I should wear platemail [​IMG]
    Football is a big thing around these parts. There are alot of Cowboy fans, alot of anti cowboy fans and alot of chief fans. My College team was picked #1 and was given the kiss of death(Oklahoma U). So count me as curious how this season comes into fruition.
    MNF looks interesting with Madden on there. All and All I'm stoked!

9. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

1. Washington Redskins
    NFC East is well represented right here. I haven't liked the moves that Snyder has made, and hated to see Schottenheimer go. Ideally I'm sure Dan would've liked to have Schottenheimer as head coach, Spurrier as Offensive Coordinator, and Lewis as Defensive coordinator. Ideally Schottenheimer would've liked to have Schottenheimer as coach, Schottenheimer as offensive coordinator, and Schottenheimer as defensive coordinator.
    [​IMG]
    2. NFC Champs = Those pesky Rams... I just don't like teams that dominate so much.
    AFC Champs = Indianapolis Colts... could be this years Patriots
    Super Bowl pick = Rams (anyone have any idea how they keep Warner, Faulk, and Bruce under contract and still have strong supporting cast?)
    3. Cincinnati's coach.. he'll be the only one.
    4. Fred Taylor... except I'm hoping he avoids it. He's due to be injury free.
    5. Don't go.
    6. Can't watch all.
    7. Dallas had a really great draft, those smart jerks. But I think I'm going to say Ryan Sims of the Chiefs. I agree it will probably be a defensive player.
    8. Week 4, 4th quarter
    9. Panthers. Texans have a good offensive line and near the end will still have a reason to fight for those last games.
    10. I like what Dallas did, Antonio Bryant is going to be a burner.
    Matthew Furtek

10. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    alright...
    1. being from Canada, the closest team to me is Seattle. Go Seahawks!!

2. Saints and Steelers

3. Carolina Head Coach (forget his name)

4. Eddie George

5. At McMahon Stadium, home of the Calgary Stampeders, IIRC, dogs are $3.50. No NFL teams here.

6. lunch. (usually soup and sandwich) alright I'm boring, when I snack I usually make nachos. Tostitos chips n salsa, 2 different cheeses, tomatos and green and red peppers, and maybe some ground beef if I have any left over...

7. That guy.... can't remember his name. WR from the Saints... Donte Stallworth (okay I cheated and looked it up)

8. Week 7

9. Carolina. Most dissappointing New England and Baltimore.

10. Dallas, although I hate to say it.

11. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

This will be my 11th Fantasy Football season and I have been champ 5 times, including an actual threepeat. [​IMG]
    I am shooting for #6 this year and with my keeper player being Kurt Warner, I already have a shot. [​IMG]
    Now to answer your questions:
    The Packers, of course.
    AFC=Miami NFC=Rams Super Bowl=Rams
    Dick Lebeau
    Edgerrin James
    No clue
    Chips and salsa for snacking, chili for a meal.
    Not sure, but I am going to say a WR.
    I forgot how close he was. I will say Week #10.
    Carolina
    Don't know.
    -Dean-

12. Scott Merryfield

13. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

1. Being from Michigan I would pick the Lowly Lions.
    2. Miami vs. St. Louis
    St. Louis wins
    3. The HTF favorite - Dick L.
    4. C'mon, picking Fred Taylor is a no-brainer [​IMG] However, my choice, Ricky Williams, is not much better!
    5. No clue
    6. Usually don't eat during games
    7. David Carr or Joey Harrington
    8. Seventh game (When is Dallas' bye week?)
    9. Most likely the Houston Texans, but look for the Lions to give 'em a run for the money!
    10. New Orleans
    I can not wait for the season to begin!!!

14. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

WHERE IS THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER FORUM FANTASY FOOTBALL GAME?!?!?!?!

IM READY!!!

-ikiru

15. Scott Merryfield

16. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Can I predict that the Pats will win the 2002 Super Bowl behind a QB other than Drew Bledsoe? The 2003 Super Bowl is slightly fuzzier in my crystal ball.

17. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein

Green Bay

Pittsburgh/Green Bay/Green Bay

Dave Campo

Marshall Faulk

About $2.00, I think.

Home-made "4 pepper" chili

T. J. Duckett

Baltimore

San Diego

(editted to minimize my obvious stupidity)

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

19. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I was hoping to check out the new Seahawks Stadium but the "average" seat price is $75. The "Good" seats start at $250.

20. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'd like to change my coach vote to:

Fassell of NYG.